Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY CINEALTA:Sony CineAlta HD ForumHDV Format ForumSony CineAlta HD Articles

Best Lens for PMW-EX3?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Randy BurlesonBest Lens for PMW-EX3?
by on Jul 16, 2008 at 9:27:39 pm

What would be the best lens upgrade for the EX-3?
I am looking for a ENG style Zoom lens in the 18X plus range with great wide angle capabilites as well.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mick HaenslerRe: Best Lens for PMW-EX3?
by on Jul 18, 2008 at 5:41:16 pm

Canon HJ18ex28B-ITS e-HDxs 18x 2/3" High Definition Telephoto Remote Motor Drive Lens with 2x Extender

With a 2/3 to 1/2 converter, this will definitely be the best lens you can buy for the EX-3

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ron ShookRe: Best Lens for PMW-EX3?
by on Jul 18, 2008 at 6:03:26 pm

[Mick Haensler] "Canon HJ18ex28B-ITS e-HDxs 18x 2/3" High Definition Telephoto Remote Motor Drive Lens with 2x Extender"

LOL! Since you've got to be kidding, I'll reply in kind. Best for what: Spying on Iran from the Space Shuttle?

Your reply get's your point across. Whatdawantashoot, then we'll tell you what's best.

Ron Shook
Shoulder-High Eye Productions
CreativeCOW Forum Host for Discreet edit*

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Randy BurlesonRe: Best Lens for PMW-EX3?
by on Jul 18, 2008 at 7:42:33 pm

Just trying to get an idea on an upgrade on the glass on the EX3.
Would the Fujinon HSs18X5.5BRM or the Canon KH20x6.4 KRS
be worth the money to put on an EX3.
It costs as much as the whole camera and included lens.
I will be using this ENG Style in the studio and in the field. In a variety of situations. Just trying to find the best "one size fits all" kind of lens.

We really need new cameras and I am looking to Switch to HD from DVCam.
My first Choice is the Sony 700 4:2:2 XDCAM HD but Option 2 depending on what I can get approved... would be the EX3. I just want to beef up the EX 3 with a good all purpose lens that would be better than the 14X supplied lens.

I am also looking into the Convergent Design Flash XDR box to record the HD-SDI signal. (Shipping begins Monday, I hear) So that I can get the cleanest signal out of the EX-3.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 18, 2008 at 8:40:31 pm

Randy,

[Randy Burleson] "Would the Fujinon HSs18X5.5BRM or the Canon KH20x6.4 KRS
be worth the money to put on an EX3.
It costs as much as the whole camera and included lens.
I will be using this ENG Style in the studio and in the field. In a variety of situations. Just trying to find the best "one size fits all" kind of lens."

IMO, the best one size fits all lens for the EX3 is the one that comes with it, because it's the most flexible way to get the most out of the camera in varied situations and is very good. Probably not quite as sharp as the lenses you mention, but if there's one thing we've learned from the HVX200, "resolution isn't everything."

[Randy Burleson] "My first Choice is the Sony 700 4:2:2 XDCAM HD but Option 2 depending on what I can get approved... would be the EX3. I just want to beef up the EX 3 with a good all purpose lens that would be better than the 14X supplied lens."

Use the money to beef up in other ways. Get a 35mm adapter as discussed on numerous threads here, and a range of 3 or 4 used lenses (around $3k and you'll be able to get depth of field control that far exceeds the stock lens and the 700 as well. Get a Steadicam type support for around $5k. You've spent the cost of one of those alternate lenses and increased your capabilities immeasurably more.

[Randy Burleson] "I am also looking into the Convergent Design Flash XDR box to record the HD-SDI signal. (Shipping begins Monday, I hear) So that I can get the cleanest signal out of the EX-3."

A nice addition and once again you go beyond the 700. I think I'll wait for the Nano which is improvement enough for me at 2/3rds the cost.

Ron Shook

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Randy BurlesonRe: Best Lens for PMW-EX3?
by on Jul 18, 2008 at 9:02:19 pm

Thanks Ron for your constructive and informative reply.
I hadn't thought about the 35mm adapter and lenses. Not sure that I would use a steady cam but a good idea nonetheless.
About the 35mm adapters...
Letus or Brevis or do you recommend something else?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 18, 2008 at 9:45:02 pm

Randy,

[Randy Burleson] "About the 35mm adapters...
Letus or Brevis or do you recommend something else?"

I don't have the direct experience to recommend anything, but my research indicates that the Letus is the adapter of choice. If anything is available for rental EXs, it's the Letus.

Do as was suggested on several recent threads and go to Philip Bloom's website and look at some of his Letus/EX stuff in full HD which you can download. I don't know if I would want to fool with it, but, he has some startling shots with the Letus adapter using a tilt/shift 35mm lens where only one subject is in focus where there are multiple subjects on the same focal plane. For example, with the camera 90 degrees perpendicular to a park bench, only the middle person of 3 on the bench is in sharp focus even though each are the same distance from the camera.

[Randy Burleson] "Not sure that I would use a steady cam but a good idea nonetheless."

Don't toss that idea out without further thought. One of the revolutionary values of these small, relatively light, but potent new camcorders is the ability to use specialty camera support for much less $. It's a lot easier to justify a $5k steadicam like device for occassional use than the $25k device for 20-30 lb. cameras. I've got an old but nicely rebuilt wheelchair that I picked up at a resale store for $75 and fixed up to a total cost of
$200. With a steadicam like unit and that wheelchair, I could be a near instant dolly that involves no track laying or demand to follow a track. And..., I can do nearly 3 foot of jibbing in the course of any shot, dollying or otherwise.

Didja know that to get a color viewfinder for the 700 that equals or beats the one on the EX3 costs $10k? (g) Don't look at the EX3 as something to settle for, but as an upgrade in many respects over the 700, particularly with the XDR/Nano.

Ron Shook

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Thomas RepelsteelRe: Best Lens for PMW-EX3?
by on Feb 13, 2009 at 4:47:42 pm

I'found a good lens for the Sony PMW-EX3 camera. The manufacture is Zunow (Japan). Look for the Zunow WEX-075A Aspherical Wide Conversion Lens.

I bought it on: http://www.avescam.tv

If you have further questions you can mail me!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Daan SteijnenEx-3 Lens
by on Jun 9, 2009 at 6:34:03 pm

Hi,

I have to agree on what's said before. The lens that comes with the ex-1 and ex-3 is amazing by itself. It really has little to no abberation, preforms really well when zoomed or stopped down. I wouldn't change it. we use it ENG style all the time with no complaints.

For filmish upgrades:
We did shoots with the letus, and that was really nice, but just for the 35mm look. I can recommend that configuration too. Do use the ultimate for more shutter speed options and little to no vignetting.

And by the way, the lcd on the ex-1 and 3 is much better than the one on the 700. Don't waist all that money on the 700, give it to some orphans in Africa or something.

Have fun upgrading!

Daan Steijnen
Camjo
http://www.bigshots.nl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jose blancoRe: Best Lens for PMW-EX3?
by on Dec 9, 2011 at 6:38:46 am

Hi everyone, I'm a video aficionado filming Music/dancing performances, most of the times inside theaters / nightclubs, mainly dark places with all kind of changing light's strobes filters and lots of movement on me all day, I use a PMWEX3 camera and I will like to get some recommendations on a good overall lens maybe combine with an adapter for this purpose and also if anyone could give some tips on what settings to use on the camera to achieve clean results in this lighting conditions
I am in the beginning stage of filming, any comments will be appreciated

Grillo.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jose blancoRe: Best Lens for PMW-EX3?
by on Dec 9, 2011 at 6:40:49 am

Hi everyone, I'm a video aficionado filming Music/dancing performances, most of the times inside theaters / nightclubs, mainly dark places with all kind of changing light's strobes filters and lots of movement on me all day, I use a PMWEX3 camera and I will like to get some recommendations on a good overall lens maybe combine with an adapter for this purpose and also if anyone could give some tips on what settings to use on the camera to achieve clean results in this lighting conditions
I am in the beginning stage of filming, any comments will be appreciated

Grillo.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 9, 2011 at 9:58:23 am

Grillo,

I don't know if you'll see this or not, but posting on this over 3 year old thread is not such a good idea. Copy your post and start a new thread. Good Luck!

Ron Shook

Ron Shook

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Keith HeardRe: Best Lens for PMW-EX3?
by on May 21, 2013 at 3:43:14 pm

A major problem with the stock lens on the EX3 is the servo zoom. It is very inconsistent and will suddenly stop in the middle of a slow zoom. So as long as you never have to do a slow, creeping, zoom to a dampened stop, or visa versa; you'll be fine. That at least has been the experience of several others including myself.

Keith Heard

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mick HaenslerRe: Best Lens for PMW-EX3?
by on Jul 18, 2008 at 8:16:38 pm

[Ron Shook] "Best for what: Spying on Iran from the Space Shuttle?"

Top shelf response Ron. I busted a %$& laughing so hard. Every now and then I have to respond to a "what's the best" post. I just can't resist.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]