Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY CINEALTA:Sony CineAlta HD ForumHDV Format ForumSony CineAlta HD Articles

SxS to blu ray

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Matt KersteinSxS to blu ray
by on May 23, 2008 at 12:52:49 am

I work here with the previous poster Steve and was thinking of using toast 9 and archiving to blu ray with our new Harpertown Pro Mac that has a new internal BluRay burner by way of sending the "unwrapped" .mov files to a folder via sony app XDCAM transfer then burning the folder onto Blu-ray DVD for archiving...? Thoughts...Anyone..?

Aloha & Mahalo from Maui

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael AmadorRe: SxS to blu ray
by on May 23, 2008 at 9:38:10 am

Hi Matt,
Please have a look to this thread:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/858468#858468

cheers,
rafael

Mac OX 10.5.2-FC 6.02-QT 7.4.1
G5 2x2Gh 4GbRAM-BlackMagic Extreme
PMBP 17"Core2Duo 4GbRAM-AJA ioHD
JVC DTV-17"
SONY EX-1 . SONY PD170
..and always a big mess on top of the table.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Noah KadnerRe: SxS to blu ray
by on May 23, 2008 at 5:40:50 pm

Definitely one way to go- but remember Blu-Ray as a storage media isn't the only game in town. Definitely a nice reasonably fast and cheap storage of 50GB or so but not the only one.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig SeemanRe: SxS to blu ray
by on May 24, 2008 at 5:15:54 pm

Be aware that if you're archiving the MOV then currently on Macs with FCP 6.0.2 and up can play those files. That means the masters aren't very portable.

Archive the BPAV folders and you'll be able to repurpose or distribute the source more easily if such should ever be needed.

Of course the downside is that if you need to "reconstitute" an offline project you'd need to convert back to MOV and make sure the file names match the project files to re-link.

I think the reconstitution of a project taken offline is one of the biggest issues I haven't seen addressed anywhere. I've seen quite a few workflow suggestions but none of them take into account how to reconstitute. I've seen some workflow suggestion that can easily dig one into a deep hole (such as logging and importing subclips where they won't match the archived BPAV masters).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael AmadorRe: SxS to blu ray
by on May 25, 2008 at 4:18:48 am

Hi Craig,
Haw are you doing?
I'm archiving the .mov's. I don't see the point of archiving the BPAV. You will need always a camera or a SxS reader near by you to recover you files.
A couple of days ago I've opened a project and I found that I had the rushed already in a BR disk. I've just put the disk in the driver and FC had retrieved the missed files from the disk.
BTW the re-writable BR disks has an interesting option. You can format them so your BR driver works as an external HD. Just drag & drop.

Mac OX 10.5.2-FC 6.02-QT 7.4.1
G5 2x2Gh 4GbRAM-BlackMagic Extreme
PMBP 17"Core2Duo 4GbRAM-AJA ioHD
JVC DTV-17"
SONY EX-1 . SONY PD170
..and always a big mess on top of the table.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 27, 2008 at 7:43:42 pm

[Rafael Amador] "I'm archiving the .mov's. I don't see the point of archiving the BPAV. You will need always a camera or a SxS reader near by you to recover you files. "

XDCAM Transfer Tool will read the BPAV and convert to MOV. It's an extra step but if I need to ever give something to client, Windows user, Mac user without Final Cut Pro, having the BPAV is much more versatile.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sverker HahnRe: SxS to blu ray
by on Jul 16, 2008 at 1:36:34 pm

I have always archived the BPAV folders. However, today I ran into some problems when importing to FC. XDCAM Transfer just showed "No media" for several clips. ( These folders have been copied with the Finder from another HDD.) I then switched to XDCAM Clip Browser where the clips where shown and could play.

I created a new folder and copied the clips with Clip Browser. And Voila! - the clips could be read in the transfer app. and could be imported to Final Cut.

Does this show that the BPAV-folder are not so safe to copy between disks? Is it better to import to FCP as soon as possible an copy the .mov files instead?

Sverker Hahn, Stockholm

Slower is better!

Sony EX1
Final Cut Studio 2
iMac Intel
MacBook Pro 15"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 16, 2008 at 1:59:21 pm

Clip Browser 2 now has a CRC error checking option so apparently there can be errors when copying. I believe ShotPutExpress also does error checking.

This from CB2 manual:
For greater copy reliability, you can enable the CRC
(cyclic redundancy check) error check option. However,
copy operations take longer to complete when this option
is enabled.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy