Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AUTODESK COMBUSTION:Autodesk Combustion ForumAutodesk Combustion TutorialsAutodesk CombustionAutodesk

Combustion/Edit* nle instead of smoke 2013

COW Forums : Autodesk Combustion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Richard CardonnaCombustion/Edit* nle instead of smoke 2013
by on May 1, 2012 at 5:09:43 pm

What if autodesk instead of downgrading smoke would have revived Combustion with the Edit* editing tools.

Combustion 3 already had some video editing tools and they have edits* code somewhere.

I guess it would have been a better choice. They could have added smokes capabilities to the combustion/edit* Besides it would work om windows and macs with bootcamp.

I guess I will just dream on.

Ric

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Combustion/Edit* nle instead of smoke 2013
by on May 10, 2012 at 1:55:29 pm

I wish.....

I was a beta tester on Combustion 1 and 2, and our facility used Edit* right up to, and considerably after, the EOL announcement. It was a great combination. The feeling I always had was that Discreet Logic considered both packages to be competition to their high-end offerings.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David JahnsRe: Combustion/Edit* nle instead of smoke 2013
by on May 23, 2012 at 4:26:18 am

I keep hearing of this magical application named Edit* - what was the story with it?

Price? Platform? Hardware, etc.? And what was so awesome about it? Have any screenshots to share?

David Jahns
---
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Juan SalvoRe: Combustion/Edit* nle instead of smoke 2013
by on May 23, 2012 at 4:49:37 am

Ah you bring back memories of my youth.

http://www.mynahmedia.com/2011/04/editors-wake-discreet-edit/

Online Editor | Colorist | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David JahnsRe: Combustion/Edit* nle instead of smoke 2013
by on May 23, 2012 at 7:38:27 pm

Thanks, Juan - that's a good read.

I didn't know much of the Discreet world in those day, but I remember back when Avid was pulling out of the Mac market, and the FW-DV-FCP revolution begun - good times... A few years later, they had Avid on the ropes, and then.... X.

That's what kills me about FCP-X. When you look at what Apple had in their toolkit in 2007 - FCP, Color, Shake, Motion, Soundtrack, Cinema Tools, Final Cut Server, 3rd party hardware - etc... Seemed like they just needed some interface gurus to tie everything together a little better, fix some core issues, go 64-bit, and they could have owned the pro video market for a generation.

Interesting that demise of the app that killed edit* is giving Autodesk an opening for Smoke to be the Super-App that FCP could have been...

David Jahns
---
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]