Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AUTODESK COMBUSTION:Autodesk Combustion ForumAutodesk Combustion TutorialsAutodesk CombustionAutodesk

Cloning

COW Forums : Autodesk Combustion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Danny DavisCloning
by on May 13, 2011 at 11:32:59 am

Hi all,

It's been a while since i've used Combustion!
I've got some cloning work coming up soon and I
was wondering if C is still the tool to use or should
I be looking for something else now that is supported
and not out of this world cost-wise

Thanks.
Danny.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff BrownRe: Cloning
by on May 18, 2011 at 5:23:22 pm

Well, Combustion still works. Even works under Win7, though seems a little more buggy. Although being a 32-bit app, the ~3 GB memory limit is there. I'd say it depends on your current system, budget, and type of material (SD, HD, film scans) you're working with.
Due to the memory limit, and age and EOL status of Combustion, I've switched to AE or "Composite" (formerly Autodesk Toxik); they both do much better with HD material-- but: I have not had to do any clone/replace work, and Combustion still might be the easiest for that. The CS5 version of AE is quite stable. The 2011 version of Composite is not very stable, but it is a nice workspace once you get used to it. FYI, Composite has been dropped as a standalone product, and now only comes bundled w/ Maya or 3ds Max (which is why I have it).
I don't have any experience with Nuke, Digital Fusion, Flame, etc.

-jeff

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dean DeCarloRe: Cloning
by on May 23, 2011 at 3:07:24 am

Not sure I agree with this. I find Combustion to be much better under Windows 7. Not really any more or less stable I don't think although I've gotten so used to it's instability that it's part of my workflow (read: autosave every 3 minutes). The good thing though is that in Win 7 x64 you can set the cache to near 100% and get almost 4gigs of usable memory. I set mine to 100% on my machine with 8gb of memory and it worked fine except that the frame buffer out to my Blackmagic card wouldn't work. I backed it down to 95% or so and it works fine. I'm trying to transition to newer software but it's hard to pull away. It is obviously out of date for the multi-layer HD stuff I'm doing but it's like a comfortable pair of shoes.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dean DeCarloRe: Cloning
by on May 23, 2011 at 3:06:00 am

Oh , I will add though that whatever basic windowing code it uses is out of date because it won't allow any other windows to come in front of it. I have to use alt-tab or something like that to get to the desktop or browser or whatever. A minor glitch but another reminder that it was written for Windows XP. Or perhaps Windows 2000.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Keith RocheckRe: Cloning
by on Jul 1, 2011 at 5:08:05 am

Combustion is still the way to go for paint in my book. We purchase workstations specifically around our need to run C*. The most recent one we got is a 3DBOXX 4860 Extreme. It's a Win7 x64 machine running a Core i7 overclocked to 4.15GHz (12 virtual cores w/ HT) and 12 GB of RAM. The thing screams, and Combustion runs better than ever for me.

Make sure to have autosave turned on, as noted, but Win7 is fine.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Jonathan ThomasRe: Cloning
by on Jul 10, 2011 at 1:33:10 am

I can't even get Combustion 3 to come up on my Window 7 64 bit system.
What is the workaround. Window 7 HP AMD Phenom Quad 840 Processor 12 GB of RAM

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Keith RocheckRe: Cloning
by on Jul 10, 2011 at 3:37:40 pm

I doubt Combustion 3 will run on anything but XP. C* 2008 is what I'm running in Win 7.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]