Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AUTODESK COMBUSTION:Autodesk Combustion ForumAutodesk Combustion TutorialsAutodesk CombustionAutodesk

Combustion ended ?

COW Forums : Autodesk Combustion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Helder OliveiraCombustion ended ?
by on Nov 17, 2009 at 2:30:39 am

Hi,

what happenede to Combustion, it's not showing up on discreet/autodesk, also, for toxik there's no stand alone version! What's going on ? What are the alternative in this price range ?

That's why Open source makes so much sense, autodesk decided that there's no more combustion or toxik, now what ? Is After effects (for desktop users), on this price range the only alternative ?

Why there's no information on discreet website ?

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Phil LoweRe: Combustion ended ?
by on Nov 17, 2009 at 8:36:26 am

Hmmm...No mention of it on the Autodesk website that I could see, either. Looks like they finally pulled the plug on it. I guess they figured that it was competing with sales of their higher-end products. Trouble is, I don't see anyone who was using Combustion because of its cost-to-benefit ratio moving up to a Flame or Inferno. I do see them moving to After Effects or Shake, so - in essence - Autodesk is ceding the low ground to Adobe, among others.

Ironically, it's that very marketing strategy that began costing Avid money and market share. Oh well. They'll never learn.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Helder OliveiraRe: Combustion ended ?
by on Nov 17, 2009 at 1:49:35 pm

Thanks for your atention. I started searching for alternatives, I found The Foundry Nuke, but its $3,500 or something. I do like 1 or 2 jobs per year, I can't afford it and there's people freelancing with pirated software, who work almost for free, I can't compete.

My question is, there's only After Effects in this price (combustion) range ?

Mac now run win 7 right ? What about Apple Motion, I supose it doesnt run on Win7 right ?

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex UdellRe: Combustion ended ?
by on Nov 17, 2009 at 2:22:02 pm

hi guys...

here it is:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=5562397

Alex

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Helder OliveiraRe: Combustion ended ?
by on Nov 17, 2009 at 2:43:16 pm

Alex, thanks! But I dont know, I'm not trusting Autodesk right now, There's no information about combustion future and no one knows for sure, what's going on.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff BrownRe: Combustion ended ?
by on Nov 17, 2009 at 2:49:53 pm

It is also still listed under "all products".
Though, at risk of starting a lengthy and pointless thread, I would say it is unofficially End-of-life, judging from the lack of development.

-jeff

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alan OkeyRe: Combustion ended ?
by on Nov 17, 2009 at 2:55:26 pm

I was recently browsing the Autodesk site and I also noticed the relative lack of prominence of Combustion relative to the other Media & Entertainment products. I also noticed that the Combustion page was still there if you look for it alphabetically, but it's just not included under the Industries listings for Film or Television.

It almost seems like Autodesk is ashamed of Combustion, as if it were the bastard stepchild. I've never seen such a great product treated so poorly by its own parents.

Do you think this is just an oversight, or should we read between the lines?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dean DeCarloRe: Combustion ended ?
by on Nov 17, 2009 at 3:54:38 pm

It's pretty clear they don't care about it. They don't mention it in any of their PR. I love it but the core engine is really getting old and the odds that they are going to rewrite it are slim at best. Been looking at Nuke demos and the technology difference is significant. Combustion is still a great tool and until I know something nearly as well I'll continue to use it. Especially where deadlines are concerned.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Phil LoweRe: Combustion ended ?
by on Nov 18, 2009 at 6:31:21 am

Thanks for the link, Alex. It sure wasn't easy to find until you posted that.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SuszkoRe: Combustion ended ?
by on Nov 18, 2009 at 3:44:42 pm

Humor me a moment while I propose something insanely wacky.

What if instead of taking Combustion out back and shooting it in the head, Autodiscreet turned the product over to a small independent development team, for purposes of bug and OS fixes... and then put it on a new business model, where you don't own it; you rent it online, just for when you need it.

You'd work with a downloaded copy of it locally, your footage stays local, the program merely keeps tabs with Discreet's licensing server by internet and only works while your net connection is up, running a taxi meter of sorts, and billing your credit card or paypal just for the time you are rendering out or playing out. The internet connection is the dongle. The impact on the local computer would be low because the net connection only needs to make an occasional one-packet ping back to home base.

The idea is, in this model, that the people that only use Combustion once or twice a year and would never upgrade or migrate to the more expensive platforms anyhow, are still getting to use this product and pay for it as they go, per use.

I got the idea from watching my brother, who has stopped buying itunes and is hooked on music listening over imeem, where you can listen to anything you want, as often as you want, as a live stream but you don't own it and can't save it locally unless you shell out to pay for it. He is happy listening to thousands of songs he doesn't own but can access any time he wants.

It also reminds me of the model Google is using for Sketch-Up, where the basic version is free, but quality add-ons and upgrades cost you.

Okay, you've been very patient with me, now for the sanity check: what do you see as the flaws or plusses?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shawn MillerRe: Combustion ended ?
by on Nov 18, 2009 at 10:22:52 pm

It's not a far fetched idea at all. A lot of companies are turning to SAS (software as a service) or software subscription models. I think it works for companies that need to scale up or down as busniness needs dictate, and for freelancers that do a limited amount of work in certain applications (as you've already alluded to). I believe GenArts, Eyeon and The Foundry have been doing this for a while.

Shawn

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nigel ThompsonRe: Combustion ended ?
by on Nov 24, 2009 at 1:38:36 am

Will Autodesk do that? I highly doubt it.

I've been hurting for a while as well looking at my favourite apps deteriorate into an ignored refugee. I'm on a mac so i started using Motion for motion GFX, which is morphing into a little powerhouse let me tell you.
BUT i need a Serious compositor so im looking to NUKE as well. Which adds a new paradigm for us Independent, high end, quality work producers who don't have as much money as the big studios to pay an annual $1000 Maintenance fee. I don't do 3D so it makes no sense getting maya just to use Maya Composite/TOXIK.

I have to figure this out soon because i have quite a few things coming up in the new year.

We are all trying to better ourselves in this biz, but we have to move forward in steps, and when u find an app as good, as potent and as clean as C* was, you hope development stays around for a long time.

Autodesk, i would love to buy a Flame/smoke system but i just cant afford it, but the thing is, if i show u the work i do u wont be able to tell if it was done on a flame or not. Farewell old friend. I guess ill use it and AE till i figure out what the hell im doing

HVX200, RED ONE, FCS and more,
High End, Production & Post Production
in the Caribbean
http://www.bistt.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nigel ThompsonRe: Combustion ended ?
by on Nov 24, 2009 at 2:21:42 am

Mark:

that was an idea shared by imagineer systems at NAB 2008, who remembers the announcement of Mogul VFX suite of applications, which were supposed to be used on a subscription basis similar to what Mark suggested.

Well we are almost in 2010 and it cant see the light of day, wonder if we will ever see it ?

HVX200, RED ONE, FCS and more,
High End, Production & Post Production
in the Caribbean
http://www.bistt.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jonathan ThomasRe: Combustion ended ?
by on Dec 6, 2009 at 6:06:33 pm

The one thing they can do is… try selling it to Sony and let the Sony Vegas Pro team develop it further into Vegas Pro workflow. I know they can make it run faster. All Sony Vegas need is Combustion composting tools and 3 D camera and lights. As Sony Vegas Pro focus on more Filmstyle tools. It will become the independent filmmaker choice.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Don NashRe: Combustion ended ?
by on Dec 21, 2009 at 3:27:01 pm

I think that would be far preferable to just letting it die. Avid sold Softimage to Autodesk. I wouldn't mind seeing Sony or Newtek buy it and implement it within their Video Editing programs (Vegas or Video Toaster). Even now, it still does a number of things exceptionally well...and certainly could make Vegas more competitive with Final Cut.

I hadn't used it in sometime, but just recently built a new quadcore desktop, with an NVidia GTX 275, and fired Combustion up...she was humming. I was really surprised how fast the feedback was.

I'm still learning AE in bits and pieces, but I think I'll still be using C* for a while yet. I can only imagine what she would be like if she had been given some development love these past 6yrs or so.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

warren BONESRe: Combustion ended ?
by on Apr 5, 2010 at 4:58:55 am

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd share a trick with all of you. You can get to any Autodesk product's page by typing autodesk.com/productname. So if you want to get straight to Combustion's page, just go to http://www.autodesk.com/combustion

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]