Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AUTODESK COMBUSTION:Autodesk Combustion ForumAutodesk Combustion TutorialsAutodesk CombustionAutodesk

HDV footage test

COW Forums : Autodesk Combustion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Le CoyoteHDV footage test
by on Oct 19, 2005 at 5:26:39 am

I spent some time tonight to try the HDV footage that was recently given on this forum. While this footage does show heavy chroma ccompression, it doesn't seem impossible to key with this footage.

You can see below a H.264 movie of the key I just did. There's some flickering pixel on the guy's shirt which I didn't fix yet, but overall the result is pretty much ok. More than I thought I would get, especialy since I have very little experience with keying.

http://junktape.com/HDV_greenscreen_key1.mov (requires QT7)
p.s.: the background I used is the first I found on my drive. Sorry about that ;-)

I did need to put some chroma blur, because otherwise, it would be very, very blocky due to the heavy compression of HDV (wich seems to me worst than DV). I used this method to do the chroma blur:

http://www.fxguide.com/fxtips-223.html

basicaly, this is a 2 pixel box blur linked to a Compound HSV set to the source footage in luminance so that only chroma gets blurred.

you can see my workspace there:
http://junktape.com/HDVgreen_test.cws
(this is a v3 workspace since there's STILL no v4 for mac...)

For the conversion of the m2t file I used "MPEG Steamclip" to create a 1440*1080 uncompressed 10bit quicktime movie. I also set the app to deinterlace the footage, since it does a reall great job at it. A few days ago I tried "Diva" to convert the m2t file, but I would advise against it since it screwed the field dominance.

Moral of the story... HDV does seem a bit more picky, but doesn't seem worthless for keying, granted that the supplied shot is to my eyes the best someone could do with HDV.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

MargusRe: HDV footage test
by on Oct 19, 2005 at 5:58:55 am

Hi.

I tested it also and the result is satisfactory for me as it keyed out better than some Beta SP material. But Ofcourse I used it in SD and some blocs where there.

It might be that I have different purpouse for my jobs.

It wold be ineresting to see some material from lets say Z1 and captured directly from component output. How much that would make difference in quality. Will it be poormans Infinity :)

Margus.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary TaylorRe: HDV footage test
by on Oct 20, 2005 at 3:31:45 am

Hi Margus,
The uncompressed output of the Sony cams is spectacular. Of course it has the limitations of a 1/3 inch camera but it is great without any compression artifacts.
Hope that helps,
Gary

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 20, 2005 at 11:01:11 am

Do you have possibly some still frames captured like this ?
I'm plannig to buy setup like that this is why i'm trying to figure it out.

Margus.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 20, 2005 at 11:45:28 am

Hi Margus,
Sorry I don't have any footage but if you have the camera you can see this yourself when you monitor. The output is immediate which would be almost impossible it were going though an MPEG2 encoder. Additionally it is obvious the footage captured is free of the artifacts the taped footage has, even in almost every case I am satisfied with the footage I am getting on tape.

I am planning on doing some studio work with my camera and that is why I am interested in capturing uncompressed. I don't know what platform you on but if you using an Mac then you might want to call AJA video http://www.aja.com/ to get some info on the Kona LH. It is by far the simplest and cheapest way to work with the the analog output from an HDV camera.
Hope that helps,
Gary

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 20, 2005 at 11:55:08 am

Hi Gary

I do not have a camera yet.
I had in mind geting DeckLink HD Pro card
or even Multibridge HD.

Hope i'll get some demo footage somewhere.

Currently I'm using PC .... but in time i'll swich :)

Thnx.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 20, 2005 at 12:20:14 pm

Hi Margus,
I think the Decklink HDPro is a great card but it has the similar sort of I/O limitation the Kona 2 has. Neither card has analog inputs which means you will have to buy an external converter. AJA sells great converters and BMD sells their shipping Multibridge (not the PCI Express models coming out soon) which could be combined with any HD-SDI capture card. I just like the cleaness of the Kona LH.
I think Apple has finally made a joiner out of me. I can't say that I am going to be a switcher but the lineup of hardware and software make them pretty compelling. Even if you don't know which card you decide to get give Rudy at AJA a call and ask about HDV captures.
Hope that helps,
Gary

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]