Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AUTODESK COMBUSTION:Autodesk Combustion ForumAutodesk Combustion TutorialsAutodesk CombustionAutodesk

Backburner problem under XP SP2

COW Forums : Autodesk Combustion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Andrew ShanksBackburner problem under XP SP2
by on Apr 13, 2005 at 11:42:06 pm

Hi,
we've just set up a small network (6 machines) to render a mix of 3D Max and Combustion projects using Backburner. Everything seems to be talking (you can send a combustion render out, and the manager grabs it, sends it out to the render machines (which are running backburner server), they seem to inialize, taking the job and get through as far as the "loading combustion3" part of the process, ....only to then crash and burn (coming up with a Microsoft error message about the windows application needed to close, do you wish to save report, ...that pesky message. I was wondering if it could be an issue with XP SP2, ...I know colleagues who refuse to run Combustion on XP (still running it on win2000 pro), due to stability issues. In our first attempts (before the crashes on the client machines), things didn't even seem to get that far, we got errors almost straight away within the manager (next to the render machine names) saying they couldn't write to a frame name that already exists (we didn't really solve that, the other error just seemed to take over from it).
Anyone have any ideas or tips?

Cheers,

Andrew

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

bimo adi prakosoRe: Backburner problem under XP SP2
by on Apr 14, 2005 at 1:29:11 am

andrew. you could try the program compatibility wizard under xp to set your backburner to use the win2k kernel. if it doesn't work, i think there's some issue in you winxp. mine is working fine within hp xw4200-xupermicro x5da8-dell precision m60 with winxp sp2.

good luck.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

b|||eRe: Backburner problem under XP SP2
by on Apr 14, 2005 at 7:25:04 am

I have to the same problem under 2000, so maybe its not XP related.
I found out that it crashes like that, when I open a share on my local computeren and link the projects over the network i.e.
It renders ok when I put the project on our server, so there might be an issue with D+ (G/H)SCSI Drives or linked local drives.

Only time I've seen it, so thats my guess.

/ Peter

* motion graphics *

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

alan bellRe: Backburner problem under XP SP2
by on Apr 14, 2005 at 8:56:35 pm

Unfortunately I don't have much to add in the way of help except that I am running Backburner on 6 machines all running win xp sp2 without a hitch.

I did have some issues where one system crashed because the version of quicktime it was running was not up to date. But that was local to that client system.

This is one area where Autodesk could really improve upon. It seems that getting backburner to work is a bit of a black science. There is very little in the way of error messages and sparse documentation.

Alan Bell

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

andrew shanksRe: Backburner problem under XP SP2
by on Apr 15, 2005 at 12:41:47 am

Thanks guys, will have a bit of a play and see what i can dredge up, ...am getting our 3D guy to try rendering using Max and see what errors he encounters (just to see if its a combustion thing or a general backburner/network issue.

Cheers,

andrew

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]