Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE INDESIGN:HomeInDesign ForumInDesign TutorialsAdobe InDesign

dpi in InDesign CS2

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
raterandpi in InDesign CS2
by on Sep 18, 2005 at 4:12:08 pm

Help. I am making the switch from PageMaker to Indesign CS2. I use photo offset lithography and make plates for an older offset press using both negatives and pronto plates that go directly into my laserprinter. In PageMaker, there was a spot to type in the dpi under document setup. I always set my documents to 72 dpi; above that and I get squashed images on the press. What is the InDesign CS2 equivalence to this? what if I use images from Photoshop? does the image dpi need to be changed before placing in InDesign?
Any suggestions about this process overall would be excellent.
thanks so much.
rateran

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

ThumbslingerRe: dpi in InDesign CS2
by on Sep 19, 2005 at 2:28:38 pm

Normally, in InDesign whatever resolution you import images as is the resolution they will print at unless one of two things happen. Either you make a pdf file and specify resolution for the file, or at the second pre-press stage, the RIP, parameters are set for resolution. (this being done at the printer/output bureau and could include the addressability of an image setter such as lhe Linotronic HELL machine.

The other thing is to make sure your images in Photoshop CS have 'square' pixels chosen in the bottom pop-up window. That can cause a wrong-way print image where it appears squashed. But, your squashed pictures seem to be the result of resolution so that leads me to believe it's possibly related to the addressability of the imagesetter you're using to create the film.

Pronto Plates should be correct as to the dimensions of your file. They get imaged from your front-end software and the laser printer you're using.

I would create a file at both 72 dpi and 300 dpi and create a test pronto plate from InDesign with both images output side-by-side. Your Printer should be able to suggest the solution because it sounds as if the mixing of the Pronto Plates the the 'normal' plates/negatives they are creating are not gelling and it is something at that point that is causing the problem.

I'll see what else I can find.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]