Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
RED GIANT SOFTWARE:Red Giant TutorialsTrapcode TutorialsTrapcode ForumMagic Bullet ForumMagic Bullet TutorialsAE TutorialsAE Forum

Looks 3 keeps crashing Final Cut Pro 7

COW Forums : Magic Bullet Suite

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Tim AdamsonLooks 3 keeps crashing Final Cut Pro 7
by on Mar 31, 2012 at 3:15:11 am

Hey all,

I've recently run into a problem with Magic Bullet Looks 3. I edit a Look in Final Cut Pro 7, however, when I go to edit a look on another clip, it Final Cut crashes. So effectively I can edit one look before I have to reopen Final Cut and it's very frustrating. This has only just started happening and it doesn't happen in Adobe After Effects in which I also have Looks installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ron StanfordRe: Looks 3 keeps crashing Final Cut Pro 7
by on Apr 3, 2012 at 7:38:14 pm

Did you have any luck finding an answer? I'm having exactly the same problem. I work on editing the Looks in one shot, go to another, and every time FCP crashes.

Ron Stanford
http://www.stanford-creative.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul WhishawRe: Looks 3 keeps crashing Final Cut Pro 7
by on Apr 8, 2012 at 5:59:17 pm

This is a new thing for me. Just before christmas I was using Looks a lot and never had any issues. Now I am crashing quite often. I don't think I've done any updates as I'm paranoid that Apple is going to start eating FCP 7 from the inside.

Odd.

Paul Whishaw
PDVpro.com
"If it moves, We'll Shoot it"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

chris nicholasRe: Looks 3 keeps crashing Final Cut Pro 7
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 2:00:03 am

try adding another instance of the effect to the clip or toggling the effect on and off with the check mark in the viewer window. then try opening the edit dialogue for looks.
alternatively, changing anything to the clip that would make it need a re-render might also work

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul WhishawRe: Looks 3 keeps crashing Final Cut Pro 7
by on May 29, 2012 at 2:47:57 am

I'm crashing just trying to open the clip in the viewer.

Paul Whishaw
PDVpro.com
"If it moves, We'll Shoot it"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeffrey LonigroRe: Looks 3 keeps crashing Final Cut Pro 7
by on Jun 15, 2012 at 2:16:14 pm

Same exact issues here. Tried the re-install, corrected disc permissions and still very unstable.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph HungRe: Looks 3 keeps crashing Final Cut Pro 7
by on Jul 29, 2012 at 6:35:05 pm

Try this:

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/support/faq/product-specific/magic-bullet-l...

http://www.tulpapictures.com
Twitter: @tulpapictures
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tulpapictures

Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon (2,1) 8GB RAM
Macbook Pro 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 (8,2) 4 GB RAM
OSX 10.6.8
FCS2
CS5.5
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (CUDA)
RocketRAID 4322 via dual MiniSAS
ProAvio 8TB RAID 5 Dual Mini-SAS
Panasonic Lumix GH2 (hacked), Canon 5DMKII, 7D, Panasonic HVX200A, Panasonic DVX100A

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Aug 4, 2012 at 5:54:14 pm

Update: I uninstalled all Red Giant plugins. Reinstalled Suite but with only FCP selected (I previously had plugins for Premiere Pro and After Effects too). I think there is a disconnect happening between Adobe and Apple products and respective plugins. Looks seems to be working better now, I haven't crashed yet (had to start over, so I haven't gotten to far as of yet). However I am still getting the incessant black frame/no image in the editor, and when I do get an image it's the wrong frame.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 25, 2012 at 8:11:54 pm

UPDATE: A little further along and the crashes and incessant black frame happening all over again. Dang it!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kenny PowerassRe: Looks 3 keeps crashing Final Cut Pro 7
by on Sep 3, 2012 at 11:21:28 pm

I just want to add to the chorus of frustration. Having the same problem.
Sometimes I get a warning sign in that Looks will open, but the preview window is black and I can't get the pop-up sidebars to appear.
It doesn't matter if I'm using a new, blank instance of the filter or if I dragged it from another clip. I thought it helped if I clicked on the Viewer window's Video tab first before going to the Effects tab and opening Looks, but that turned out to be false.
Is Magic Bullet sorting this out???

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 4, 2012 at 2:01:42 pm

Hey Mr. Powerass, can you post your system specs please?

I've been searching the web for the most recent posts about these issues, but this is the only thread that seems to be active in the past year.

I've been pushing through the timeline regardless, doing the little things that I "think" works to get Looks back up. Suffering through random clicking and constant crashing and restarting is a time killer, but I'm determined to finish grading this short film.

I have noticed though, and maybe others can back this up, that when I try to edit a looks filter on a clip that I had already graded days ago, I'm getting unpredictable behaviour, ie. crashing, black frame, different frame. I'm also wondering, in FCP7 if it's better to create a custom looks template in the looks app and apply to clips, instead of dragging the filter from clip to clip in FCP7?
I've been seeing a subtle pattern that if I apply Looks to a clip, edit it, finish it, and keep going down the timeline, I'm not getting as much of the issues. I can sometimes go back to some of those clips that I just graded in the same session. However, the issues start getting really bad when I go back on the timeline and try to edit a clip from past sessions, a day or more ago.
Maybe MB Looks is losing it's place with older filter applications?

cargocollective.com/tulpapictures
Twitter: @tulpapictures
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tulpapictures

Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon (2,1) 16GB RAM
Macbook Pro 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 (8,2) 4 GB RAM
OSX 10.6.8
FCS3
CS5.5
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 1GB VRAM
RocketRAID 4322 via dual MiniSAS
ProAvio 8TB RAID 5 Dual Mini-SAS
Panasonic Lumix GH2 (hacked), Canon 5DMKII, 7D, Panasonic HVX200A, Panasonic DVX100A

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kenny PowerassRe: Looks 3 keeps crashing Final Cut Pro 7
by on Sep 4, 2012 at 9:58:11 pm

My bad.

Mac Pro (Mid 2012)
3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
16 GB Memory
ATI Radeon HD 5770
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4
Apple 30-inch Cinema Display
FCP 7.0.3

I, like others, also installed Looks to be used with After Effects and Premiere, though I haven't used it in any other application than FCP7 yet.

I will back you up on this, I think it's more susceptible to crashes after a few days have passed since initially applying the effect.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 4, 2012 at 10:24:28 pm

Then Red Giant really needs to read this thread, our coinciding observations is the most telling I've been able to find about this particular set of problems.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chad CarlbergRe: Looks 3 keeps crashing Final Cut Pro 7
by on Oct 3, 2012 at 1:00:26 am

I recall that a few years ago with Looks 1 or 2 this was the case. Like 2008 or 2009. You HAD to bring a look from effects pane and couldn't drag from another in the timeline. I'm having same problems. That's why I dug up this thread. And your question reminded me of the issue from long ago. I'll bet youre right. Trouble is, now you have to go back through and delete or just open and create a custom look for each of them that you tweaked. But that's fine if it works.

My hunch is RG is on top of it already. And it's just tough as they have to put their focus toward products like the new FCP since Apple's not really pouring the love into supporting the old stuff anymore. But RG has incredible support. Maybe the best in my experience with any tech company.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 3, 2012 at 3:00:08 pm

I hear you on this. I was able to finish the grading of the short film by working in this manner. Just save looks templates in Looks and apply to each clip that is related. No more of the drag in timeline in FCP7. RG wasn't able to pinpoint my issue unfortunately. I suspect it has something to do with my Mac Pro 2,1 as well, which is in dire need of an upgrade soon, but that's a whole other thread.
Cheers,
Joseph

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Svante LodénRe: Looks 3 keeps crashing Final Cut Pro 7
by on Mar 22, 2013 at 12:29:30 am

I was glad to find this thread. Sad ending though. And considering how old the thread is, It's pretty strange to me that this exact thing is still happening to me in March 2013. Did anybody resolve this? I just did a clean install of FCP on a very clean OSX 10.8.2-partition with Looks as the only other installation. I was able to work (with new clips) the whole afternoon, then render. As I went back to the timeline to do some corrections, it started happening again. Same as you guys described.

Thanks

iMac 27" Mid 2011
3,4 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048MB
FCP 7.0.3
Matrox MXO2LE
Matrox MXO2Dock

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 22, 2013 at 3:57:25 pm

Yup, still on in March 2013. RG isn't going to fix it, because it's not in their best interest to waste time and resources on it, when if you utilize their custom looks structure, it works for the most part. Still having problems here and there, but it is dramatically less buggy if you create a look and apply that look and tweak as you go (instead of copying copy/paste or drag/drop in FCP). Unfortunately, when you go back to retweak, it's better to start from scratch on that clip. I tend to save many variations of one look so I don't lose certain tweaks. You'll find a way to work with their cumbersome custom looks tool. It's not very well designed, but has worked enough for me to get through short projects. Long form projects? I would use an alternative grading tool.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Svante LodénRe: Looks 3 keeps crashing Final Cut Pro 7
by on Mar 22, 2013 at 10:27:38 pm

I'm eating away at an hour-long timeline due in four days. It's actually not so bad now that I've gotten used to the new approach. Well, the difference between "We're f****d!" and "We made it!" is pretty dramatic no matter how it happens. Doesn't change how I feel about this not being adressed by RG though. Thank you all for the Custom looks approach, it really saved me this time. I agree though, I need to look at other ways to do this in the future, especially for longer or complex projects.

S

iMac 27" Mid 2011
3,4 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048MB
FCP 7.0.3
Matrox MXO2LE
Matrox MXO2Dock

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nels McLaughlinRe: Looks 3 keeps crashing Final Cut Pro 7
by on Apr 1, 2013 at 2:43:21 pm

I've been having these issues, too, and the way that I solved it was to stop applying the 'Looks' filter from my favorites folder (Effects // Favorites // Looks). I apply the standard filter instead (Effects // Video Filters // Magic Bullet Looks // Looks), and I havent had any issues.

Not sure if this helps any of you, but I haven't had any issues in the past three or four days doing it this way.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Zack HosseiniRe: Looks 3 keeps crashing Final Cut Pro 7
by on May 1, 2013 at 2:10:48 am

I never applied it from Favorites, I always applied it using the drop-down effects menu, so that technique wouldn't work for me.

Anyone found a fix for this? This has seemed to come and go for me, every couple of months... which is what makes it so frustrating!... and strange!

I can edit one clip in looks, next time I try, CRASH.

17-inch Macbook Pro (Mid 2010)
2.53 GHz Dual-Core Intel i5
8 GB Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512MB
Mas OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3
FCP 7.0.3

---------------
Zack Hosseini
http://www.ZackHosseiniFilms.com
Zack@ZackHosseiniFilms.com

"When all else fails, look for presets!"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 2, 2013 at 5:32:04 pm

Scroll up and you'll see what I did to work around this. It seemed a little more stable, and allowed me to go back after a while to adjust things. Sometimes though even this didn't work either.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jith PaulRe: Looks 3 keeps crashing Final Cut Pro 7
by on May 19, 2013 at 11:16:21 pm

Here's a work-around that seems to work for me. In FCP, doubleclick on the clip. In the filters pane, uncheck the looks filter, then recheck it on. Then hitting edit doesn't seem to result in crashing FCP. Granted, it's a work-around and not a fix but it does allow me to continue editing a feature length documentary while I search for a more permanent fix. I hope this will help some of you as well.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]