Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Good HDMI monitor to use with Matrox MXO2 Mini with Max

COW Forums : Matrox Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Terry LeahyGood HDMI monitor to use with Matrox MXO2 Mini with Max
by on Jul 25, 2012 at 11:39:17 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm looking into buying an inexpensive hdmi monitor to use with my Matrox box. I typically make videos in 23.98 or 29.97 using Final Cut 7 or AVID symphony 6 (I already solved the firmware problem and I am rocking). Currently I am going into a cheap computer monitor with HDMI but would like to switch to a TV so that I can get the sound benefits and I think this is only a 1080i monitor. I can fit about 30 inches on my desk. Before I up and buy this one

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Terry LeahyRe: Good HDMI monitor to use with Matrox MXO2 Mini with Max
by on Jul 26, 2012 at 11:40:16 am

Sorry last message messed up. Here's the other half.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/840978-REG/Samsung_UN32EH5000FXZA_UN3...

It has "clear motion rate" 120 hz, is that good or bad? What should i be looking for?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff PuleraRe: Good HDMI monitor to use with Matrox MXO2 Mini with Max
by on Jul 26, 2012 at 2:01:35 pm

Hi Terry,

The Matrox MXO2 devices offer an HDMI monitor calibration utility that really needs a display with 1:1 pixel mapping to be fully implemented. The HP ZR2440w 24" LED Backlit IPS Monitor works well in this application.

A friend of mine has a 120Hz big screen in their living room and it looks really bizarre to me, even my kids noticed that something was different. Movies on DVD lose their "film look" and look hyper-real like watching a soap opera or something. I would avoid that for editing.

Any of the "home theater" displays are possibly going to do additional processing of your image automatically which you don't want happening when trying to color correct.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Terry LeahyRe: Good HDMI monitor to use with Matrox MXO2 Mini with Max
by on Jul 27, 2012 at 3:17:14 pm

Thanks for the response Jeff, I was actually leaning towards a tv to use as a client monitor. Any models you can recommend? I saw Shane Ross recommend pretty much and tv with HDMI, I'm stuck between a couple. I'd like to get one that's about 32 inches. Thoughts?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bret WilliamsRe: Good HDMI monitor to use with Matrox MXO2 Mini with Max
by on Aug 1, 2012 at 4:29:48 pm

Whatever you get, turn off every single "auto" setting. That includes the 120hz smoothing, etc. I have a 240hz and it can make 24p look like 1080i. It loses all the quirky film look. I don't know how it does it. I was turning it on and off watching WWII in HD on history channel. There was stuff that was obviously hand cranked or spring cranked 10-20fps, and with the smoothing on it looked like 60i. And no perceived loss of resolution.

Gotta turn off the auto black leveling, white leveling, auto saturation, all that stuff. And then, consumer LCDs still have a floating white point issue that keeps them from being color grade quality. I've heard Plasma has better contrast and black level, but worse floating white point problems. Over my head. Just what I've heard. But for a client/conference room monitor, etc. pretty much any monitor will do.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve HuntRe: Good HDMI monitor to use with Matrox MXO2 Mini with Max
by on Oct 28, 2013 at 3:46:15 pm

Hi Jeff
I have two questions about this monitor

Do you still recommend this model - or are there better ones now available for the Matrox mini

I also noted that BHPhotovideo two version of the same monitor both differently priced and I cannot tell the difference from the specs.

Any Opinions?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff PuleraRe: Good HDMI monitor to use with Matrox MXO2 Mini with Max
by on Oct 28, 2013 at 3:53:38 pm

Hi Steve,

I've not personally used the HP ZR2440w display, and did base my comments on other Matrox users' postings about their success with that model (plus it meets the specs for MXO2 use).

I looked at B&H and the part number differs between the two models, as does the price, but I couldn't tell what was different between them two, sorry.

This monitor should still be a good choice for using the Matrox calibration.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]