Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Quick Question for Max Export Matrox MXO2 Mini with Max and more!

COW Forums : Matrox Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Terry LeahyQuick Question for Max Export Matrox MXO2 Mini with Max and more!
by on Jul 10, 2012 at 10:56:29 pm

Hi Guys,

I just want to be clear. I typically output H.264 in full 1920x1080 for Youtube. Exporting as the Matrox Max H.264 can still do 1080x1920 faster than realtime right? Having a battle about whether I should have bought this. Also, can I ingest 1080/30p and 1080/24p using Matrox Mini? And finally, what is the process for using this device with FCP7, Adobe After Effects and AVID Symphony 6 on the same boot drive

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David EaksRe: Quick Question for Max Export Matrox MXO2 Mini with Max and more!
by on Jul 11, 2012 at 12:40:16 am

Yes it will do 1080 for YouTube faster than real time, I do that often.

You will have to either have separate partitions to boot with each NLE and its appropriate Matrox drivers or uninstall Matrox software, reboot, install, reboot, every time you switch NLE's. I would really like Matrox to release unified drivers. I have been having a heck of a time recently with just 2 Macs, each with FCP 7 and FCP X and different Lion versions for each NLE's Partition, it's pretty irritating.. Maybe with Mountain Lion? Here's to hoping!

With FCP 7 I typically export a reference movie and bring that into compressor and add Job action to post to Youtube, quick and easy.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andy MeesRe: Quick Question for Max Export Matrox MXO2 Mini with Max and more!
by on Jul 11, 2012 at 1:00:59 am

>Matrox Max H.264 can still do 1080x1920 faster than realtime right?

Certainly.

>Also, can I ingest 1080/30p and 1080/24p using Matrox Mini?

Yes, there's a long list of supported input video formats in Appendix C of the user guide:
http://www.matrox.com/video/media/pdf/support/mxo2/doc/en_Matrox_MXO2_Insta...

... among them are: 1080p at 23.98 fps, 1080p at 24 fps, 1080p at 29.97 fps and 1080p at 30 fps (all via the HDMI port).

>what is the process for using this device with FCP7, Adobe After Effects and AVID Symphony 6 on the same boot drive

You can probably get by happily with After Effects CS6 and Symphony 6 on a single driver install, but the old FCP is not supported with the latest drivers so you'll want a separate boot partition for using the MXO2 with that.

Hope it helps
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Terry LeahyRe: Quick Question for Max Export Matrox MXO2 Mini with Max and more!
by on Jul 11, 2012 at 1:46:08 am

Thanks Andy. I've heard that a few times, partitions. What/How does one do that? Are there any negative effects to it? This seems to be a very common complaint about Matrox too...Are they aware and trying to accommodate?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve EisenRe: Quick Question for Max Export Matrox MXO2 Mini with Max and more!
by on Jul 11, 2012 at 9:47:32 pm

Partitioning is pretty easy. This applies to the Mac. Take a single drive large enough for the 3 apps. 500-1tb is good. In Disk Utility format your HD and set to three partitions. You can create names for all three. Hit Apply. That's it. Install software and drivers.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 12, 2012 at 1:29:37 am

>Are there any negative effects to it?

No ... other than the headache you get from doing it.

>This seems to be a very common complaint about Matrox too...Are they aware and trying to accommodate?

They are aware. As noted before, although not officially blessed, the current 3.1.1 drivers for CS6 do seem to work well with Avid ... we can expect to see an official (blessed) release that supports both these NLE's in the future, but until then (as long as it works) I'm happy using the MXO2 drivers for CS6 on both Adobe and Avid apps regardless of whether Avid or Matrox have given them the official nod or not.

Regarding accommodating other apps, like FCP X and FCP 7, I'd personally expect to be seeing FCP X support rolled into a future unified driver release sooner rather than later ... but as convenient as it may be, I don't really expect to ever see FCP 7 support being rolled back in. (I could be wrong, Matrox know there is a strong desire for that amongst their users). Personally though, although FCP7 continues to work in Mountain Lion for now, I fully expect to need to keep an older OS partition/drive around for running FCP 7 in the future, if and when I have to, so I care less and less about having that support in a unified driver mix.

What I would like to see though, is for Matrox to keep updating their legacy drivers (like version 2.5.0 for FCP7) such that they'll work transparently with the latest firmware installed by newer drivers for still actively developed NLE's ... I don't mind switching startup disc to run a specific legacy app as necessary, but I must admit I do find it really annoying that I have to also then flash the firmware on my MXO2 (and restart again) every time I switch system. (Grumble, grumble).

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Terry LeahyRe: Quick Question for Max Export Matrox MXO2 Mini with Max and more!
by on Jul 12, 2012 at 1:50:03 am

Hey Steve,

I just bought a brand new Macbook Pro Retina with 512 MB flash drive. A) Will I be able to do this on that system. B) Can I have AVID on my boot and FCP/AE Partitions on an External Drive connected Via Thunderbolt. And C) Should I do it on my Macbook Pro, will it slow down my computer? I keep nothing on my actual computer it is just for editing and as speed is paramount, all documents etc are on another drive.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 12, 2012 at 2:32:28 am

Also....and forgive me...what does it mean to flash the firmware? Not uninstalling and reinstalling right? Isn' t that why i put it on separate drives to begin with?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 12, 2012 at 2:50:13 am

Terry

Given your specific setup I'd recommend you try installing the 3.1.1 drivers for CS6 on your main system drive (the flash drive) and with that as your base setup you should be able to use your MXO2 features with both Symphony and After Effects ... you'll still be able to run Final Cut Studio (2009) apps on that system of course, but without MXO2 support.

For the latter I'd recommend you make a bootable clone of your current system drive on an external USB3 portable drive, uninstall the 3.1.1 drivers and install the 2.5.0 drivers ... you'd then boot from that external drive whenever you need to use Final Cut Studio apps with MXO2 support ... plus you'd still be able to use Symphony and CS6 apps except that this time those would be running without MXO2 support. Alternatively, instead of cloning, you may just wish to install a new clean system on that external drive and install only the Final Cut Studio apps together with the MXO2 2.5.0 driver.

>Also....and forgive me...what does it mean to flash the firmware?

The MXO2 itself is programmed to support specific functionality using code that is stored within non-volatile memory on the unit itself, thats code is the firmware. When existing functions are modified, or new functions are introduced, then the corresponding firmware on the MXO2 must also be updated to support that new or modified functionality. The process of changing the firmware is called "flashing". Basically when your driver software talks with your attached MXO2 then it first checks to make sure that it has the right firmware installed ... if not (if the firmware is newer or older version than the version it is expecting) then it prompts you to allow it to change (flash) the firmware to the needed version. It all happens very quickly but it does require you restart your system afterwards.

Hope that helps
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 12, 2012 at 6:50:42 am

Hi Andy,

Thanks, that really does help me in feeling better about my purchase. BUT, I'm not currently running CS6. I'm running an older version. I suppose I could upgrade, although I wasn't exactly ready to. I'm still on CS4. Does Matrox even support this version? Or will I be using this without Matrox anyway. If so, I guess i'd still use the same driver and just not get the Adobe support. I just use it for Photoshop/After Effects anyway so I'd just miss out on the monitoring if anything. Thoughts? And thank you so much Andy.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 12, 2012 at 1:48:28 pm

Sorry about the misunderstanding there Terry, at some point I think I just guessed (wrongly) that it was the latest version of After Effects your were needing to support. For CS4 support you'll want to use an older driver such as version 2.0 which supports both FCP7 and After Effects CS4, so that one might be worth a try. If so, then with 3.0.0 (or 3.1.1) installed on your main Symphony 6 partition, and with 2.0 installed on the FCP7 / AFter Effects partition you should still be able to support all three apps with just the two boot volumes.

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 12, 2012 at 11:54:44 pm

Hi Andy,

I just sent away for a 2TB USB 3.0 external hard drive for my second partition. Will I see severe speed reduction and longer renders, encodes etc. by going this route? Would I see that with Thunderbolt hard drives? I mean they are a whole other 300 bucks to even get but I want to make sure I am editing as fast as possible and use my MXO2

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 13, 2012 at 12:54:37 am

Hi Terry

As far as theoretical interconnect speeds are concerned, USB3.0 is pretty darned fast ... about 5Gbps ... and compares well to the internal 6Gbps SATA interconnect speed that you'll be getting from your MBP Retina's internal Flash storage ... but yes, native Thunderbolt is faster still ... about 10Gb/s.

Remember also that the speed of a drive itself is a limiting factor, as is the drives native interconnect/controller speed. If you buy a slow 5400 rpm drive with a native SATA 3G interconnect, and then connect that to your MBP via your super fast Thunderbolt bus, you will still be limited by the lower performance potential of the mechanical drive itself, and the speed of its own native interconnect.

I really wouldn't stress out about all these numbers too much though, whatever you buy it's going to be slower than whatever Joe Cool buys tomorrow (and most editors could speed up their workflow most significantly by just being faster at what they do!) ... but for what it's worth, for good boot disc performance, you might consider putting (or buying) a SATA 6G SSD in a USB3 enclosure as your secondary startup volume. Or just partition your existing internal 512GB flash storage into 2 x 256GB startup volumes.

Regarding renders, encodes and other general performance issues ... where is your media living? You can have the fastest machine on the planet, but if your media array / scratch disc is a single 5400rpm USB2 drive then you'll not be a happy camper.

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 13, 2012 at 1:25:25 am

Hi Andy,

Our current system of work is by using 2TB internal laptop hard drives plugged into external docks as our capture scratch. We then use E-Sata out the docks and into the MacPros or in my case into a usb 3.0 connector and into my machine (soon to be through a lacie thunderbolt hub).

The only reason I am hesitant to partition my 512g Flash Drive is the fear of losing speed/power. At the end of the day I am trying to keep anything that isn't actually production software off my computer, so I'm wondering if I will lose speed anyway as I am not storing anything on the machine itself. I guess my goal is just to make sure I can fly! Thoughts? Theoretically what would be faster?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 13, 2012 at 7:25:54 pm

Hey Andy, I'm awaiting a Samsung 256GB 830 Series Internal 2.5" Solid State Drive (SSD) and enclosure. Cheaper than I thought. The reviews look good and say that it flies so this'll be good, I won't have to touch my existing 512 drive. Thanks for all the advice!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]