Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

MXO2-LE, 2011 15" MBP, Thunderbolt Drive Pass Through

COW Forums : Matrox Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Craig SeemanMXO2-LE, 2011 15" MBP, Thunderbolt Drive Pass Through
by on Jul 5, 2012 at 2:56:58 pm

MXO2-LE, 2011 15" MBP, Thunderbolt Drive Pass Through

Need to know of MXO2 or TBold drive recording will be seriously impacted.

Anticipated setup
Camera HD-SDI to MXO2-LE to Western Digital 4TB TBolt My Book to MBP.
Live streaming with Telestream Wirecast, Wirecast recording ProRes to WD TBolt. Using 2.4 MXO2 drivers because 3.x drivers will not work with Wirecast currently

I know some devices need to be at front of chain so I'm not sure if MXO2 can be end of chain (as it must) with a TBolt pass through drive in front of it.

If there's an issue I can go with 4TB G-Tech Firewire 800 drive instead.

Theoretically TBolt pass through should work but without any mention from Matrox whether it needs to be first in chain (and there fore ONLY), I'm wondering if either Matrox or a user with such experience can respond.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

olof ekberghRe: MXO2-LE, 2011 15" MBP, Thunderbolt Drive Pass Through
by on Jul 5, 2012 at 4:52:24 pm

I tried a MX02 and a LaCie 6TB TB RAID on a 27" iMac all pimped out to the max. I could not get the MX02 to run, it simply was not seen by the driver.

I then put them on separate TB jacks in the iMac and it works fine. I did have some trouble getting a Mac 23" screen to run together with the Lacie as well but by switchng cables around and restarting a few times I got that to work as well.

Sort of reminds me of SCSI VooDoo. I thought my cables may have been bad, but now it all works flawlessly.

Contact me direct if you like I can redo the setup again on the iMac, it should work but it did not for me anyway. My phone # is on my website.

In a couple days I will have a 2011 MBP with TB here so I can try that as well.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig SeemanRe: MXO2-LE, 2011 15" MBP, Thunderbolt Drive Pass Through
by on Jul 5, 2012 at 5:15:00 pm

Olof, thanks for that. That's what I'm afraid. 2011 MBP has only one Thunderbolt port.
I'm using driver 2.4 as 3.x series doesn't work with Telestream Wirecast.

Let me know as soon as you have the 2011 MBP in.

Down the road the problem is going to be more critical as Thunderbolt gets implemented. Losing an entire Thunderbolt port to a single device pretty much kills most of the advantages of a daisychainable dual 10Gb channel port.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 6, 2012 at 2:45:59 am

Sam at Matrox support says it should work fine end of chain with pass through device in front of it. That doesn't seem to match your experience. I may take you up on contact.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 6, 2012 at 1:08:53 pm

Craig, I just tried to use the MX02 as the last unit after a LaCie 6TB TB RAID on amy iMac and it is working fine.

So I don't know why I had problems earlier, it may be that the newest drivers work, or it may have had to do with the 27" monitor I also was using before.

The setup working is:

Imac-Lacie 6TB RAID-MX02, nothing on the other iMac TB Port.

Earlier I had problems with the MX02 not being seen by the iMac when I added the 23" Mac screen to the other TB port using a DVI to Mini Display Port adapter from Apple.

That setup would only work if the screen was hooked up through the LaCie and the MX02 was the only item on the other TB port. I was using earlier MX02 drivers then.

Below are screen shots showing speed of the RAID and the TB bus on the iMac. The speed is similar to what I get from this RAID (2 drive 0) when on as a single item on a TB port.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 6, 2012 at 1:11:02 pm

Screen shots for post above:

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 6, 2012 at 6:39:03 pm

Thanks for all this.
What MXO2 software are you on?
I'm in the odd situation where I have to use 2.4 to livestream as under 3.x Telestream Wirecast will not see any video inputs.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 7, 2012 at 2:22:35 pm

Craig,my OS is 10.7.4. FCPX is 10.0.5.

This is my FCPX main machine, I don't have FCP7 installed there yet, I have not had to yet. I do use it for M100 and then I can use 2.4.x/2.5.x Matrox driver/sw.

I should have the MBP here in the middle of next week, I can try it on 2.4 and FCP7 if you still need that tested.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 7, 2012 at 2:56:46 pm

Thanks Olof, I haven't used FCP7 in some time. My problem is that I use FCPX for editing and Wirecast for Livestreaming and recording to hard drive. Wirecast works with 2.x but not 3.x. FCPX needs 3.0.1 as you have. This means I have to stream and record to hard drive with 2.4 and then uninstall one driver, install another if I were to use FCXP Matrox monitoring. This becomes even riskier when the MXO2 has to update firmware each time and the locations, especially in this heat, may have brownout power conditions.

So my concern is will using Matrox 2.4 driver impact the handling of video through a Thunderbolt passthrough drive. Of course theoretically it shouldn't but sometimes that doesn't match real world. These days a TBolt drive is an expensive investment to do testing before one goes out on a shoot which is live broadcast no less.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 7, 2012 at 4:22:58 pm

Craig, Are you running 10.7.4 OS?

I have UPS on all my systems so the FW update is not so scary, though I try to stay away from them as well.

What Matrox Driver are you using?

BTW, we can Skype when I do the test. I am westsideav on Skype. I use an iPad as my portable Skype live video streamer, works great for colaboration.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 7, 2012 at 4:33:21 pm

[olof ekbergh] "Craig, Are you running 10.7.4 OS?"

Yes.

[olof ekbergh] "I have UPS on all my systems so the FW update is not so scary, though I try to stay away from them as well."

The problem is I must do this in the field so my location changes day to day.

[olof ekbergh] "What Matrox Driver are you using?"

2.4 as I've heard some Wirecast users are getting clicking in the audio with 2.5. I can certainly test but either way it leaves me the same problem if I must use 2.x to live stream and 3.0.1 to edit with FCPX and external monitoring. I have to forego external monitoring or keep changing MXO2 software/firmware.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 7, 2012 at 4:48:33 pm

Yes the fact you need different drivers for FCP7 etc/FCPX/and CS6 is a real pain. I and many others have put in a request for more mature drivers on the Matrox form.

I bet it will happen sooner or later, at least FCPX and other current Apps like CS6, M100 and Wirecast, I have also pretty much stopped using FCP7.

PS the MX02 can use AB or IDX batteries with D-tap cable in the field, I don't know about the Mini.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]