Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Forced to choose nle

COW Forums : Matrox Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Amy WilsonForced to choose nle
by on Jun 16, 2012 at 7:30:02 pm

I am looking into my options for transitioning away from fcp7 and have been really excited by the possibilities of premiere ...until i found that i would have to not only upgrade to lion, but abandon fcp i/o capability if i want my matrox mx02 le to be compatible with premiere. Not sure i'm ready to make that jump. Is there any hope that future firmware will allow for use with both NLEs? Or is it easy to occasionally switch firmware versions if necessary? This seems like it could just create more issues. I have to say i am starting to regret my matrox purchase. Wishing i had a kona card so that it didnt complicate my Nle switch like this.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mark wilsonRe: Forced to choose nle
by on Jun 17, 2012 at 2:11:20 am

Amy,

You can partition your hard drive, Snow Leopard on one, Lion on the other. It would require firmware flash after boot up.

Mark Wilson
Creative Communications Inc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andy MeesRe: Forced to choose nle
by on Jun 17, 2012 at 12:53:54 pm

[Amy Wilson] "Is there any hope that future firmware will allow for use with both NLEs? "

There's always hope Amy, but I'd personally doubt it will ever happen. Whilst I'm pleased that Matrox have so far continued to provide OS compatibility updates for their FCP7 supported MXO2 drivers, after the software was discontinued by Apple, given that they have since rewritten the drivers completely it just doesn't seem likely that they will expend the development effort needed to add back legacy application support to the newer drivers.

[Amy Wilson] " Or is it easy to occasionally switch firmware versions if necessary?"

Thankfully its extremely easy to install and uninstall the software versions as needed ... it's just frustrating, because you have to uninstall the current version first then reboot, then install the different version, then reboot again ... plus flash the firmware (no reboot required). Not difficult though, and not "issue" inducing. As Mark suggests, simply maintaining different boot partitions is easier because then you really only need the one restart (to switch between NLE systems w. associated drivers already installed). You'd still need to flash the MXO2 firmware each time you change system tho, but as noted, no restart is required for that.

[Amy Wilson] "Wishing i had a kona card so that it didnt complicate my Nle switch like this."

I hear you, it's certainly not the perfect situation, but its all swings and roundabouts really. Personally, if I had a Kona or BlackMagic Design card then I'd gain unified driver support, plus I/O in "Smoke" or "Resolve" respectively ... but I'd lose my accelerated Matrox "MAX" encoding, which would be a pain in the behind as thats pretty useful to me. With my MXO2 though, as I find myself using FCP less and less, then the need to do the system shuffle has dissipated quickly over time, so its only a short lived problem. Its definitely a personal decision of course, whats "perfect" for one person doesn't necessarily make it perfect for others but if things are bottlenecked for you right now then it's certainly worth a fresh cost / benefit analysis of the situation. If you see your workflow staying problematic over the long haul, and there's an alternative solution that would significantly improve that workflow, then it's probably worth pursuing it ... you might be able to sell your MXO2 (to a colleague or fellow professional in your area, perhaps at a user group meeting?) to offset the cost of moving to a Kona solution for example, or maybe you could make better use of your MXO2 elsewhere in your workflow?

Just thinking out loud, hope it helps
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Amy WilsonRe: Forced to choose nle
by on Jun 17, 2012 at 1:15:10 pm

Thanks. Yes I guess a partition does make sense if I can't bear to completely ditch my fcp IO capability. It's just hard to see whether or not I really want to go with Premiere when I have to make so many changes to my system just to see how it works out.
Can anyone confirm that matrox plays nicely with CS6 and the 64bit capabilities? Also if I go with premiere I would probably use Matrox's capture software so I can have more control over my capture codecs than Premiere allows. Anyone know if this is a good piece of software?
Thanks again

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andy MeesRe: Forced to choose nle
by on Jun 17, 2012 at 4:52:17 pm

[Amy Wilson] "Can anyone confirm that matrox plays nicely with CS6 and the 64bit capabilities?"

I've been using my MXO2 on a PC based Premiere CS6 system lately and its working well here ... I've previously used it on a Mac based Premiere CS5 system, but not so much. I really like the advantages of the newer version of Premiere CS6 (esp. with Adobe Transmit simplifying the I/O chain), and if the Matrox MXO2 Mac support is going as well as the Matrox MXO2 PC support then you should be very happy. I hope so as I'm thinking of jumping on board with the Adobe Cloud subscription service, and if so then I'll be installing it on my Mac too.

[Amy Wilson] "Also if I go with premiere I would probably use Matrox's capture software so I can have more control over my capture codecs than Premiere allows. Anyone know if this is a good piece of software?"

Regarding the Matrox "Vetura Capture" app (and Vetura Player), if I recall correctly we're still waiting on those to be rewritten, no? If I'm not wrong then the latest driver releases don't include the Vetura apps. Or did I miss that whilst in my recent PC haze? Regardless, I'd have to say that I've personally not been too big a fan of the Vetura apps to date ... it seems to me that they've always been largely lacking in both form and function ... I have high hopes that function, at least, will be addressed when the apps return, though I've given up hope of Matrox ever hiring a decent GUI designer. For what its worth though, Premiere's built in capture tool (in CS6 on the PC) is ok ... the codec choices are far far more limited than I'm used to after using my MXO2 with FCP on the Mac, but it all works well given that limitation. That said, hopefully I'm entirely wrong about the Vetura apps being MIA at the moment.

Best
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

olof ekberghRe: Forced to choose nle
by on Jun 17, 2012 at 6:33:48 pm

Does anybody know if there may be an upcoming version of Matrox drivers that can be used for FCPX and AP CS6. And AE CS6 video out would be great too.

That could be very handy for me anyway. Now if the same drivers would work for M100 I would be very happy, this may be asking too much though.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]