Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Striping HDCAM Tapes for Output from Two Different Original Formats

COW Forums : HD High-End

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Brent AltomareStriping HDCAM Tapes for Output from Two Different Original Formats
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 8:41:47 pm

We do some HDCAM outputs for a client that delivers their original tapes as DVCPROHD. We ingest as DVCPROHD, do some small edits, and then output to HDCAM for broadcast via Aja Kona to an HDW-1800 HDCAM deck.

We've found that for this client's workflow, it makes sense to stripe the tapes first and then do an Assemble Edit out of FCP 7.

We now have another client that needs us to do the exact same thing (as a matter of fact, we're delivering the final tapes to the same outlet for broadcast), but they are delivering their original tapes as HDCAM, so on the advice of both the client and the team accepting the final deliverable, we're ingesting and editing in ProRes422 (HQ).

So my question is, do I need to stripe those tapes differently, and track which tapes are DVCPROHD and which tapes are ProRes422(HQ)? My educated guess is that it shouldn't matter as long as the timecode formats are the same (they are) - but the operative word here is "guess."

--

brent altomare

executive producer

groovy like a movie

c: 619.227.2818

d: 858.715.8586

twitter: @groovybrent

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff BrownRe: Striping HDCAM Tapes for Output from Two Different Original Formats
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 3:49:27 pm

I could be waay off here, as I haven't done layback to tape since I pulled by BetaSP deck out of my rack, but see if this makes sense:

HDCAM tapes are going to always be striped as HDCAM tapes. You layback via HD-SDI, yes? So it doesn't matter to the deck what you ingest or edit as.

-Jeff

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brent AltomareRe: Striping HDCAM Tapes for Output from Two Different Original Formats
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 4:48:14 pm

That's what I'm thinking as well (again, as long as the time base is correct).

Thanks!

--

brent altomare

executive producer

groovy like a movie

c: 619.227.2818

d: 858.715.8586

twitter: @groovybrent

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook