Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Cameras that can be used for Discovery Channel Shows ?

COW Forums : HD High-End

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Michael PierreCameras that can be used for Discovery Channel Shows ?
by on Mar 2, 2009 at 8:07:14 pm

I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a site that lists acceptable 2/3" chip HD cameras for High Definition broadcast for a Discovery Channel show. It will be cut on Avid.

I'm assuming any of the new Panasonic P2 cameras would be accepted... as well as the Sony XDCAM's.

thanks in advance.

Michael

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob ZelinRe: Cameras that can be used for Discovery Channel Shows ?
by on Mar 3, 2009 at 2:11:21 am

I just saw a Discovery crew in Tampa (freelance) shooting with a P2 camera. They shoot with HDV too. I gave them a real hard time, as Discovery has insane delivery requirements. Do you know what the real answer is to this question - it depends who you know, and who is approving the show. If you "cold call" Discovery, they will want EVERYTHING - full HDCam, full SRW5500 4:4:4 delivery. But for their own projects, that come out of their own pocket - P2 and HDV are "good enough".

I have seen the Discovery delivery requirements document, and they can't pass their own standards. Any response you get on this forum is meaningless. As it so often is -it's who you know.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve WargoRe: Cameras that can be used for Discovery Channel Shows ?
by on Mar 4, 2009 at 2:58:23 am

Bob is pretty much right (and...he was so nice about it). I just worked on a show called "Two Sisters - One Heart" and we shot on EX-1s and Z-1s.

However, when I shot for Discovery Canada, they demanded our F-900.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael PierreRe: Cameras that can be used for Discovery Channel Shows ?
by on Mar 4, 2009 at 3:24:49 am

Thanks to both of you.
They decided on the Panasonic HDX-900 which I think is basically an SDX-900 except they pixel shifted the standard def chip to 720p. It shoots, DVCPRO HD 1080i and 720p @ 100MBps per second. They decided on this camera primarily because it shoots to tape and is relatively inexpensive.

thanks again : )
Michael

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob ZelinRe: Cameras that can be used for Discovery Channel Shows ?
by on Mar 4, 2009 at 8:56:16 pm

the hdx-900 is a fantastic camera. You will be very happy with your results.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve WargoI have the Discovery Spec Sheet, but...
by on Mar 11, 2009 at 3:25:55 am

I have the document on my laptop but how the heck do I post it? Or, do I put it on my website and direct you to it?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

michael pierreRe: I have the Discovery Spec Sheet, but...
by on Mar 11, 2009 at 3:56:46 am

steve that's great. I'd love to get ahold of that document.
What ever works for you ... Send it via email my way or post it on your website and I'll download it.
unnamed@me.com
thanks again.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve WargoRe: I have the Discovery Spec Sheet, but...
by on Mar 12, 2009 at 7:09:46 am

Um, did you get it? I tried to figure out the code for your e-mail address but I wouldn't be surprised if I sent it to cyber heaven.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul PatenaudeRe: I have the Discovery Spec Sheet, but...
by on Mar 12, 2009 at 3:36:53 pm

DCI has gone to a scaled delivery system, based upon the video acquisition format. They use a Gold, Silver and Bronze system as outlined below (this info is from Jan/08 so may be a bit stale):

THIS PRODUCTION SHALL BE:

PHOTOGRAPHED (HD GOLD):
Aspect Ratio - 16:9 HD
Shooting Format - HDCAM SR / HDCAM / DVC PRO HD
Standard (resolution / scanning method / frame rate – 1080i 59.94 / 1080i 50 / 1080 Psf 23.98 / 1080 Psf 25 / 720 P 59.94 / 720 P 50 / 720 P 25 / 720 P 23.98

PHOTOGRAPHED (HD SILVER & BRONZE):
Aspect Ratio - 16:9 HD
Shooting Format - HDCAM SR / HDCAM / DVC PRO HD / HDV / XDCAM HD 35 megabit
Standard (resolution / scanning method / frame rate – 1080i 59.94 / 1080i 50 / 1080 Psf 23.98 / 1080 Psf 25 / 720 P 59.94 / 720 P 50 / 720 P 25 / 720 P 23.98

PHOTOGRAPHED (SD):
Aspect Ratio - 16:9 Full Height Anamorphic
Shooting Format - Digital Betacam / Betacam SP / IMX 50 Megabit tape / IMX 50 megabit / XDCAM Disc / DVC PRO 50 / DVCAM (Special Exception Required) / HDCAM SR / HDCAM / DVC PRO HD / HDV / XDCAM HD 35 megabit]
Standard (resolution / scanning method / frame rate - NTSC / PAL

That may explain the seeming discrepancies in their internal acceptance. They are tough to please.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael PierreRe: I have the Discovery Spec Sheet, but...
by on Mar 12, 2009 at 5:14:03 pm

thanks for that information Paul. So I guess it's safe to assume since DVCPRO HD is accepted that AVC-INTRA is : )

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike CohenRe: I have the Discovery Spec Sheet, but...
by on May 9, 2009 at 3:09:36 am

On the Deadliest Catch behind the scenes special they show HDV decks down in the galley recording from the fixed cameras. I guess HDV vs HD when the ship is rockin and rollin and being hit by waves matters not. As is often the case - it is not what you shoot WITH it is what you SHOOT and what you do with it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 9, 2009 at 11:03:22 am

I'm on the job now. We ended up getting a couple new Varicam 2700's and a Phantom V-310 for our slow motion work. For smaller POV cams we're coming out of the Canon H1's and canon G1's HD-SDI to the mobile Panasonic ACV-Intra P2 recorders.
For smash cams we're using Canon HV20's recording to plain HDV.
Everything ended up working out just fine.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Helmut KoblerRe: I have the Discovery Spec Sheet, but...
by on Aug 23, 2009 at 6:51:38 am

Michael,
Just curious how your experience went delivering P2 footage to Discovery. Any hiccups or smooth sailing? THanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 23, 2009 at 3:07:42 pm

Helmut.

Everything was smooth : ) The project is being cut now. AVC-INTRA is an impressive format.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Enrique Del RioRe: I have the Discovery Spec Sheet, but...
by on Jun 12, 2010 at 2:03:57 pm

Gentlemen, what do you know about:
a)The use of HPX300 and
b)If there is a big difference (besides body)between the hvx200-hpx170 and the 300?
Thank you

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

mat lumsdenRe: Cameras that can be used for Discovery Channel Shows ?
by on Oct 31, 2010 at 3:19:05 am

I have seen the cam I use;Canon XH A1, and I know for a fact they use the Go Pro Hero HD. I imagine any 3 ccd HD prosumer cam with a good lens would be in as well.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jennifer caslickRe: Cameras that can be used for Discovery Channel Shows ?
by on Mar 28, 2011 at 8:11:48 pm

if i wanted to shoot documentaries on a borrowed sony hvr a1u would that be broadcast quality or should i try to aquire a digital betacam which im more used to using.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 28, 2011 at 8:45:34 pm

Jennifer-

The term "broadcast quality" means different things to different companies. It's pretty hard to nail down...
Content is still kind... if you shot an incredible piece on the Sony HVR a1u I'm sure who ever was broadcasting it would make it work.

That said, I would go with a different camera. My advice is to get away from small chip cameras, get away from tape and get away from Interlaced.

Look for cameras with sensors bigger than 1/3", that shoot native Progressive 23.98p/24p, have a chip resolution of 1920X1080 and have an HD-SDI out or HDMI out.

Camera's I might consider on a super low budget documentary would be:

1. Sony EX1 or EX3
2. Panasonic AF100

These cameras will get you closer to "broadcast quality".
If you use an external recorder IN UNISON with these cameras you'll get even better quality and your post workflow will be much easier.

http://atomos.com/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jennifer caslickRe: Cameras that can be used for Discovery Channel Shows ?
by on Mar 29, 2011 at 12:06:12 am

thanks alot its hard to know when you see all these documentaries like gasland that make it look raw but you know theyre better quality than that or something like the blair witch project. im just getting into documentary film making with a diploma in journalism, i havent done anything in a while and am just learning the ropes in this area of tv. i was schooled pre avid during the days of rendering and old school beta cam

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sebastian UljanicRe: Cameras that can be used for Discovery Channel Shows ?
by on Dec 3, 2011 at 6:34:20 pm

Next year we'll be shooting a few documentaries with a Sony DSLR-FS100, Sony PMW EX1 and the Canon 7D.
For Sony NEX FS100 and Sony EX1 we use an external recorder (Atomos) for maximum quality.

Does anyone know if there would be a problem because they are not recording with broadcast cameras.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 4, 2011 at 2:03:03 am

The term "Broadcast Quality" doesn't mean much these days... There are so many formats and flavors. Is the 5D broadcast quality? Under certain circumstances HBO and 'others' seems to think so.

The ninja is a good idea as much as possible.
The other two cameras can look fantastic but are stuck in highly compressed codec land... So embrace them and use them in situations that make sense for your shooting style in what ever situation you find yourself in.

At the end of the day it's not the camera it's the person using it. If you have a compelling story and great looking footage nobody will care what you shot on; instead they'll be tripping over eachother to screen your piece.

I'll even go a step further and say as long as the story (and sound) are good - nobody will give a sh*t if it looks horrible (except maybe those of us who have a fetish for beautiful imagery).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]