Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

HD hierarchy

COW Forums : HD High-End

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Rob GrauertHD hierarchy
by on Feb 17, 2008 at 6:56:21 pm

Hey,

I was wondering what the hierarchy of HD formats is. For example, I would assume the Sony Cine Alta cameras would be at the top where as HDV would be at the bottom. So what's all in between. Know what I mean?

Thanks,

Rob G

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob ZelinRe: HD hierarchy
by on Feb 17, 2008 at 7:04:59 pm

A list would mean nothing, as it is continuously evolving. For example, Sony CineAlta is NOT on the top of the list. The CineAlta is a 1080i camera, and cameras that can do 2K and 4K (like RED, Viper, Arri D20, etc) are "above" the CineAlta on the "list". In addition, many people feel that "cheaper" cameras like the Panasonic Varicam "look" better than the CineAlta, so this becomes a subjective decision.

Same goes with the bottom - is HDV the bottom, or is P2, or is XDCam EX? Again, subjective decisions. And there are varying grades of HDV cameras. The standard Sony Z1U is better than many of the "consumer" HDV cameras on the market.

And don't worry - in April at NAB2008, there will be a SLEW of new products from Sony, Panasonic, and others to make this even more confusing, and your "list" even more meaningless.

Creating a list is like saying "which is better, MAC or PC, AVID or Final Cut, monitors from Sony or Panasonic". The last example is dramatic, as neither Sony or Panasonic make the "best" HD-SDI grading monitors, yet these two brands are the most popular.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike MostRe: HD hierarchy
by on Feb 17, 2008 at 7:14:53 pm

>cameras that can do 2K and 4K (like RED, Viper, Arri D20, etc)

Neither the Viper nor the D20 can do 2K or 4K. They both output HD video resolution (19230x1080). The D20 is allegedly a data camera that will eventually allow access to Raw data, but that hasn't been done yet, as far as I know it's still dual link HD video only. The only current products that do "higher than HD" images are the Red, the Dalsa, and the Silicon Imaging 2K.

And just to be accurate, all of the Cinealta products will do progressive capture. That's one of the requirements for the CineAlta designation.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob ZelinRe: HD hierarchy
by on Feb 18, 2008 at 1:38:35 am

Mike Most is correct - once again, I ASSUMED about the Arri
D-20, as it's active sensor pixels are at 2880x2160, and a 2K
image file is only 2048 x 1556, but as Mike pointed out, its current HD output is currently only capable of 1920x1080 at 4:4:4, so I was wrong.

Again, you can see that their are numerous cameras that can be considered "top of the list".

bob Zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: HD hierarchy
by on Feb 19, 2008 at 11:29:03 pm

Bob Zelin...WRONG? Say it ain't so...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD now for sale!
http://www.LFHD.net
Read my blog!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]