Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

HD playback

COW Forums : HD High-End

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Earle Del RosarioHD playback
by on Feb 3, 2008 at 7:59:18 pm

1) Can a Blue-Ray Disc movie rental, and an HD-DVD movie rental be played on a late model Sony regular DVD deck player?(Playing at least in standard DV?)
2) While both formats are renting at BlockbusterVideo today, which format do you think will win over the market when everything has converted to HD?
3) Can it be possible one day for HD-DVD to hold as much as Blue-Ray?
4) HD has been standard in Japan since the late eighties. What do you think might be the next level of video resolution after full HD?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erik PontiusRe: HD playback
by on Feb 3, 2008 at 9:30:16 pm

I'll take a stab.

1) No. BD and HD-DVD use different laser technology than SD DVD and are not backward compatible with SD DVD players. Some HD-DVD's you purchase are billed as "combo" discs, having HD-DVD on one side and a SD DVD on the other. Only way to read a BD or HD-DVD disc is with an appropriate player, combo player or PC drive.

2) Touchy and controversial question. Odds are in favor of Blu-ray at the moment after Warner made an announcement to publish exclusively in the Blu-ray format in a few months (they had been publishing in both formats).

3) Yes, but not on a single layer. HD-DVD group has plans for a multi-layer (4 if I remember correctly) that would surpass the capacity of a single layer BD. However, BD also has multi-layer capabilities so could concievabably keep ahead of the game.

4) Who knows what the future may hold. 2k or 4k in the home? 3d holographic projection? Time will tell.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

del chappleRe: HD playback
by on Feb 16, 2008 at 2:07:33 am

"4) Who knows what the future may hold. 2k or 4k in the home? 3d holographic projection? Time will tell."

i'm still waiting for Smellevision..

del

you cant hear my inner voice scream... can you..?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]