Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

new Blackmagic products I would like to see

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Bob Zelinnew Blackmagic products I would like to see
by on Aug 16, 2012 at 3:53:43 am

Hi -
first, I too want my new Blackmagic products, like the Teranex, and Camera. So no matter what I suggest here, even if Blackmagic said "yes - we will do it" - I know that I would not see it until 2014.

With that said -

1) analog DA card for OpenGear chassis and miniconverter.
It's kind of hard to distribute Black without an analog DA. I know that genlock is becomming less important - but it is still needed. These days, I buy Kramer analog video DA's for this purpose.

2) HD-SDI / SD-SDI test pattern generator (in card and miniconverter form). When you install a router (which I do with the Videohub series in countless installations) - you really need a bar generator for testing. You make the Sync Generator, you make the router, you make the Ultrascope - you need to make a test pattern gen with HD-SDI pattern on it (and you can put NTSC/PAL black on the same box !).

3) I just put in my first ATEM 2M/E today. The audio mixer is nice, but how will I really use it without a control surface. Mix 16 channels with a mouse ? A control surface with USB or Ethernet interface is critical to make this practical.

4) A tally kit, to use with ATEM Tally and GPI box - LED lights in a box with connectors, and a power supply, with an easy mate 25pin connector to the Tally and GPI box

5) more monitors. The existing SmartView series is great. How about a 24" monitor. How about a single 8" monitor.

6) a real 2 channel intercom system. I just priced out a bare bones 10 station Clear Com system with 2 IFB and it is $10,000 !!! So now, between Blackmagic and Behringer, I can build a wonderful inexpensive control room, and the intercom costs more than everything combined. And no, an iPhone earpiece will not cut it.

7) a multi slot chassis, that I can purchase DIRECTY from Blackmagic, and not from Ross (opengear).

OK, that's enough. Nothing here is earth shaking, like DaVinci, or ATEM, or the camera - it's all easy, but all really important.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul ProvostRe: new Blackmagic products I would like to see
by on Aug 16, 2012 at 6:46:35 am

Buy my videotek analog das from me please!
On ebay
Their sync gen doesn't have bars? Really?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard CrowleyRe: new Blackmagic products I would like to see
by on Aug 16, 2012 at 7:24:12 am

I'm waiting for the price of the converter boxes to come down to something "reasonable" (IMHO). It seems really odd to me that they charge as much for a simple converter box as they do for something like the HyperDeck Shuttle, for example. Either one is under-priced or the other is over-priced.

Perhaps one of BMD's competitors will lead the way with more a more current pricing structure based on the economy of scale now that we are fully into the digital era.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aleksander SteffensenRe: new Blackmagic products I would like to see
by on Aug 16, 2012 at 1:21:41 pm

[Bob Zelin] "4) A tally kit, to use with ATEM Tally and GPI box - LED lights in a box with connectors, and a power supply, with an easy mate 25pin connector to the Tally and GPI box"

I completely agree! This would have been GREAT!

[Bob Zelin] "6) a real 2 channel intercom system. I just priced out a bare bones 10 station Clear Com system with 2 IFB and it is $10,000 !!! So now, between Blackmagic and Behringer, I can build a wonderful inexpensive control room, and the intercom costs more than everything combined. And no, an iPhone earpiece will not cut it. "

If you only need two channels, then check out the axxent intercom system: http://www.axxent.de/english/intercom_ms-200.html
These are inexpensive but great quality - I have deployed them into several low-budget studios, and also use it for mobile production. Sound quality is superb, and it just works! The two-channel master station is about $2500 if I recall correctly, and the beltpacks are just about $150 each. It uses industry standard 4-pin XLR headsets, and 3-pin XLR between master station and beltpacks. They can also be daisy-chained.

[Richard Crowley] "I'm waiting for the price of the converter boxes to come down to something "reasonable" (IMHO). It seems really odd to me that they charge as much for a simple converter box as they do for something like the HyperDeck Shuttle, for example. Either one is under-priced or the other is over-priced."

Huh? Which converter boxes are you talking about? BMD's mini and OpenGear converters are the cheapest there is, at least from what I can find. Far more inexpensive than AJA, for instance.

------

Also, I would quite like some modifications on the camera converters. I want 4-pin XLR for intercom headset, instead of a consumer-grade mini-jack. I would also like to see a camera converter unit with Neutrik opticalCON connectors instead of regular LC connectors. This would better allow for use in mobile production, as opticalCON cables are more suited to those applications, as are the opticalCON connectors, which locks in place.

Since BMD has entered the camera market, I would love for them to revolutionise the studio camera market as well. Inexpensive studio cameras with the possibility of controlling image settings either via an optional RCP or using a computer with some appropriate software. I am convinced that they could make a HUGE impact on this market if they released something like this.

As for OpenGear converters, I would like to see analog VDA's and analog to digital audio and vice versa.

The VideoHub family needs salvos, the possibility to inhibit certain routes, also I would like a bigger XY-style control panel with an LCD display for physical control, something like the old Pro-Bel 6276 panels. The Smart Control panels are great for under monitors etc, but does not quite do it as a master panel.

Aleksander Steffensen
Steffensen Multimedia

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Fred JodryRe: new Blackmagic products I would like to see
by on Aug 16, 2012 at 5:36:27 pm

(Question), "Re: new Blackmagic products I would like to see
by, Paul Provost on Aug 16, 2012 at 2:46:35 am
Buy my videotek analog das from me please! On ebay. Their sync gen doesn't have bars? Really?"
(Answer), Paul, why don`t you sell them on the Cow instead of Ebay?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul ProvostRe: new Blackmagic products I would like to see
by on Aug 16, 2012 at 5:38:57 pm

[Fred Jodry] "(Answer), Paul, why don`t you sell them on the Cow instead of Ebay?"
because I don't think I've ever had a response from a for sale on the cow.
but hey why not? I'll give it another try..

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard CrowleyRe: new Blackmagic products I would like to see
by on Aug 17, 2012 at 10:31:16 am

"Huh? Which converter boxes are you talking about? BMD's mini and OpenGear converters are the cheapest there is, at least from what I can find. Far more inexpensive than AJA, for instance."

They are all overpriced based on the contents of the device. PC keyboards used to cost $250. They now cost more like $8. That is called "economy of scale" and "market maturity".

The HyperDeck Shuttle for example is priced at $345. Now there is a lot of firmware and custom mechanical parts in that product and I think BMD is selling them for a great price. But the "Heavy Duty" mini-converters with half the technology, and no firmware are the same price.

Juet sayin'. I expect that some Asian vendor will be the first to offer these kinds of things at around $100-150 (or even less). Other examples of even more complex products of the same scope sell for a fraction of the $200-300 average we still see in the digital video world. Just because of where we are in the era and because it is perceived that is what the market will bear.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joakim ZieglerRe: new Blackmagic products I would like to see
by on Aug 17, 2012 at 9:56:34 am

For what it's worth, the Teranex does some signal generation stuff. Not sure exactly what, but I briefly talked to someone from BMD at NAB about it. I'm pretty sure it does color bars, at least.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff HartmanRe: new Blackmagic products I would like to see
by on Aug 17, 2012 at 4:16:40 pm

Two things come to mind:

1) An integrated beltpack that incorporates intercom, tally, and several remote control circuits. This would have rechargeable batteries, and operate through a WiFi network; each pack would have its own IP address, so you can move throughout a facility wirelessly. Since the switchers are already on the network, it should be pretty easy to incorporate tally and control into this.

2) An HD character generator on an OpenGear card with capabilities at least similar to the Chyron digital PC Codi. It too would run from a network connection, and it should be able to either self-key over incoming HD-SDI, or lock to an external reference and produce key and fill signals to hook to a production switcher. Squeezeback could also be handy. A device like this would be invaluable for television stations that need to insert emergency graphics or station branding.

Oh, and one other thing: it would be really great if any new products would actually do the functions they are billed as having. I am still waiting for my up-down-cross converter cards to pass closed captioning, and we're coming close to a year now.

-- Jeff

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob ZelinRe: new Blackmagic products I would like to see
by on Aug 17, 2012 at 10:06:54 pm

Richard Crowley is now officially crazy. Most manufacturers are ready to strangle Blackmagic for having $280 converter boxes (SDI-Analog, Analog-SDI, SDI-HDMI, HDMI-SDI, HD DA, Sync Gen). This is a fraction of the price of anything on the market, in the history of our industry. You can't find these prices on ebay for used converters from the old school companies.

Richard - do you know that a single Switchcraft Stereo Phone Plug (SW297) is about 4 dollars now ?
http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/1-4in-Phone-C...

Do you know how much a cheap, no feature, rack mount AC power strip is ? About 90 bucks.
http://www.markertek.com/Racks-Cases/Rackmount-Power-Conditioners/Middle-At...

Do you know how much a bag of 10-32 rack screws is ?
17 bucks -
http://www.markertek.com/Racks-Cases/Rack-Screws-Hardware/Middle-Atlantic-P...

So you want Blackmagic (or someone) to make SDI-Analog converters for the price of a power strip ?

Exactly what engineers (including you) will you find to do something like this ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mel FelicianoRe: new Blackmagic products I would like to see
by on Aug 18, 2012 at 5:34:37 am

I would like to see:

1. Teranex with 2 thunderbolt ports for loop-through.

2. Breakout boxes for the Decklink producs like the ones offered
by AJA for the Kona cards. Way more elegant than the breakout
cable.

3. A real Multibridge replacement. You know, the concept of
having a simple PCIe card inside the tower and a nice breakout
box with all the IOs.

Now that I think about it. All they have to make is a Teranex that can work with all kind of computers; desktops, laptops, and all-in-one... Thunderbolt and PCIe. And don't forget to make it compatible with DaVinci Resolve.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bernhard GriningerRe: new Blackmagic products I would like to see
by on Aug 18, 2012 at 9:00:12 am

+1 for the Teranex with PCI-E connection

this plus FILE BASED PROCESSING within a small app:
quicktime file IN – Teranex processed quicktime file OUT

Best regards

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gunnar RefardtRe: new Blackmagic products I would like to see
by on Aug 18, 2012 at 6:09:31 pm

as with Terranex or DaVinci, BMD could buy Avid and maybe we'll finally get that new and greatly improved NLE that 6.x just isn't. MC is still my preferred NLE but it's just not what they keep advertising with very 'new' version. Fiddling around with Resolve 9 I see, that BMD seems to have the potential to do good things to software.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tony MaroneRe: new Blackmagic products I would like to see
by on Aug 18, 2012 at 10:04:57 pm

Hi Bob,

Just so you know, someone does make a low price HD-SDI to HDMI converter.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008D7VJ5M/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51XJn7INi5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have one of these and it works great!

Tony

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 19, 2012 at 9:10:47 am

Hello,

I like BMD, so I hope they will not acquire Avid
since this adventure could easily become a financial disaster.
This risk for what - technology without synergies to expect?

At the other hand, TheFoundry does have anything required
(and much, much more) to make DaVinci a world-class finishing system.
TheFoundry would be a PERFECT fit to BMD!

Best regards,
Bernhard

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob ZelinRe: new Blackmagic products I would like to see
by on Aug 19, 2012 at 2:32:31 pm

I too think that buying AVID would not be a good idea. First off, it would be very expensive, and you would be buying debt. Everyone on these forums thinks "oh, Blackmagic will have Media Composer" - but AVID makes a LOT of products that are not appealing to most of the Creative Cow readers, and that is where much of AVID's revenue comes from. TV Station automation is not sexy like Media Composer or Pro Tools software, but it sells for the big bucks. Acquiring AVID would mean that Blackmagic would own Digidesign, and now they would compete in the audio business as well - which is a large undertaking (and a bulk of the real AVID revenue).

The reaction of Blackmagic (or anyone) buying AVID would be that "we could get Media Composer for 300 bucks !" - but Media Composer is one small pice of the pie in an AVID purchase, and you ain't gonna recoop your multimillion dollar investment from selling 20 - 30,000 copies of Media Composer under the Blackmagic name for $300 bucks.

Nice pipe dream, however.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 19, 2012 at 4:20:45 pm

Yes, and BMD also needs to take care that they don't get
a negative corporate image as the 'waste collectors' of the industry,
sorry BMD ;-)

The past acquisitions can be seen under the banner of democratization
which is a very positive corporate image; even the Cintel acquisition
could be understood this way. Past BMD acquisitions brought sovereign technologies,
that were only under bad management. So I don't see this endangerment as of now.

With the BMCC, Thunderbolt enabled Teranex, and Resolve 9.0,
BMD has also very strong statements being innovative.

So it is important they start to acquire state of the art and future-proove technology
also for 'under the hood' now, and not stuff developed back in the 20th century.

I'm convinced TheFoundry would be a PERFECT FIT to them!

Best regards,
Bernhard

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gunnar RefardtRe: new Blackmagic products I would like to see
by on Aug 22, 2012 at 9:14:52 pm

sure, it would not be a pretty good idea... but just seeing how accessible (for non-graders like me) BMD made resolve with version 9, I think they might have the drive to really lift MC out of it's - may I call it: lethargy? pipe dreams as you called it. but I can dream whatever I want, can I?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Trevor AsquerthianRe: new Blackmagic products I would like to see
by on Aug 24, 2012 at 6:29:32 am

"3) I just put in my first ATEM 2M/E today. The audio mixer is nice, but how will I really use it without a control surface. Mix 16 channels with a mouse ? A control surface with USB or Ethernet interface is critical to make this practical. "

The neyrinck iPad app vControl could work potentially if the protocol were implemented. Although for a live show I wouldn't be so sure.:)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Fred JodryRe: new Blackmagic products I would like to see
by on Aug 28, 2012 at 11:55:22 pm

(Answer below).
¨Re: new Blackmagic products I would like to see
by Trevor Asquerthian on Aug 24, 2012 at 6:29:32 am

"3) I just put in my first ATEM 2M/E today. The audio mixer is nice, but how will I really use it without a control surface. Mix 16 channels with a mouse ? A control surface with USB or Ethernet interface is critical to make this practical. "

The neyrinck iPad app vControl could work potentially if the protocol were implemented. Although for a live show I wouldn't be so sure.:)¨

I am not researched on what hooks up, but how about a Wacom tablet for the mouse?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James SullivanRe: new Blackmagic products I would like to see
by on Oct 15, 2012 at 8:56:13 pm

Pile on!!!! I would @#$$ a brick if they could make a HD legalizer with a nice soft clip in it. Would be better if I just bought a baby Terenex and it had a legalize button on it. How awesome would that be?

very,

James

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]