Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

UltraStudio Express monitoring?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
mike wavrecanUltraStudio Express monitoring?
by on Jul 21, 2012 at 4:18:45 am

I know this product isn't out yet but I'm wondering if anyone can answer my question. I'll be running this off of my 15" MBP 2GHz i7 via Thunderbolt. Is it possible to have the UltraStudio as well as my secondary monitor somehow on the same Thunderbolt I/O? Basically the setup I am hoping to have is the MBP, a 23" secondary viewing monitor to work off of and the UltraStudio Express feeding SDI into a Flanders Scientific LM2140W 21" reference monitor.

I'm just a little worried that I'll lose my secondary monitor and be stuck using the 15" screen as my work monitor.

Also, would this device be able to do simultaneous outputs on HDMI & SDI at the same time? In our other suite we have a reference monitor & HD plasma.

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex GraingerRe: UltraStudio Express monitoring?
by on Jul 23, 2012 at 10:55:33 am

As I understand you wont be able to use the BMD Ultrastudio Express AND a mini display port monitor at the same time, they are both end of chain devices.

If you had an Apple Thunderbolt display, you could use that as a second display, but they are expensive.

I am in the same boat, but found an interesting solution running FCPX off my MBP, and using an old iMac as a second monitor using software called AirParrot and Reflection. The iMac acts as a second monitor for FCPX (for viewing the events browser or viewer) but it works over WIFI, and not mini displayport. So I can use a video out device like the BMD ones (soon to purchase) and still have a second screen. It isn't perfect, but is cheaper than splashing out on a Thunderbolt display!

Not sure about the answer to your final question (simultaneous outputs on HDMI & SDI at the same time). I would also like to know the answer as I am thinking of either waiting for the Ultrastudio Express, or buying an Intensity Extreme (to replace a Matrox MXO2 Mini I am selling).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bret WilliamsRe: UltraStudio Express monitoring?
by on Jul 24, 2012 at 4:05:28 am

I'm thinking about selling my Intensity Extreme and getting the unreleased Ultrastudio Express. I've just upgraded to a pro monitor from FSI to replace my Vizio. I've come to realize that with the FSI you really need SDI to use it to it's full potential. Case in point, my Vizio had no lag time at all with component video off the extreme. FCP's viewer and the output to the Vizio were in perfect sync. Imperceptible delay. With the FSI there is a 2-3 frame lag while it does it's processing and whatnot. So the audio from the intensity to my speakers is off from the visual. You can run audio to the FSI and loop it through, but there's no delay on the audio as it passes through so it doesn't help. HOWEVER, if I could send audio to it in sync with picture via SDI (or HDMI, which it doesn't have except via DVI) and run the audio out to the speakers.

Is there some reason BMD can't put a single audio delay slider in their drivers? Matrox too. Don't' know about AJA.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]