Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

ATEM Television Studio QUESTIONS!

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Alex LeeATEM Television Studio QUESTIONS!
by on Apr 8, 2012 at 1:58:14 am

So I just got the ATEM Television Studio and need some help with live streaming. I looked around the forums but I didn't get all the answers I hoped to get.

I'm using an earlier model of the 24" Apple iMac. Running Win 7.

1. Is it just me or does Flash Media Live Encoder always give the error "Problem with the device. Please verify that the video capture device is working and is not currently in use." That always happens when I select the 'Decklink Video Capture' option.

2. Some members suggested taking the HDMI-preview out from the ATEM and going through the Intensity Shuttle back into a computer to live stream. The question I have is that will this also include the Audio that I am inputting to the ATEM through the AES/EBU input?

3. If not, and if I route my RCA audio cable straight from my mixer to the Intensity Shuttle, will I get a delay of some sort?

If I could get these questions answered ASAP that would be awesome. I am running super behind schedule. Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard CrowleyRe: ATEM Television Studio QUESTIONS!
by on Apr 8, 2012 at 3:40:24 am

I just got my ATEM TVS a few days ago, also. But I have been researching these and other questions here and in other forums (one specifically for ATEM users). This forum blocks references to other forums, so you will have to discover it yourself.

1. It appears that the whole output functionality via the USB H.264 is highly problematic to the point that it doesn't to seem production-worthy yet. Perhaps in some future update release. Jerry Pournelle coined a popular phrase in his Byte magazine column decades ago which BMD seems to have taken as their motto: "Real Soon Now".

2. Audio fed into the AES digital input of the TVS is embedded in both the SDI and HDMI program outputs.

The video processing in the TVS introduces an unavoidable delay (unless you are using genlocked video sources). So any audio you embed will be ahead of the video by some amount of time (which varies depending on your configuration). Even if you inject audio into the AES input on the TVS, you must delay the audio so that it will match the video. One online source which discusses streaming hardware suggested the Behringer Shark FBQ100 as a low-cost adjustable delay device. But you still need to convert the analog to digital for the AES input on the TVS. I am ordering a TV One 1T-AP-216 which combines the analog-to-digital converter plus a 150 ms (switchable) delay. For $25. And much smaller than the recommended Behringer SRC2496.

3. You will probably have a problem with the video lagging behind the audio. Whether it is bad enough to be objectionable can only be determined by you doing your own experiment. Easiest way to test it is with the simple "clap-test" and see which comes first, the audio or the video.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex LeeRe: ATEM Television Studio QUESTIONS!
by on Apr 8, 2012 at 5:54:24 am

Thanks for your quick reply Richard.

Do you have any suggestions in regards to getting the ATEM to stream live?

I'm really trying to set up a live stream with the ATEM and its turning out to be much more of a headache then what I thought.

As for the Analog to Digital converter/delay controller, do let me know how that works out for you. I ordered the Behringer SRC2496 but haven't even gotten the time to open the manual. It would be nice if I could return it and save 100 bucks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 8, 2012 at 2:45:03 pm

We are planning on sending the HDMI output from the ATEM TVS into a computer and probably using the (free) Adobe encoding software. Of course the streaming software you use depends on what streaming service you are using, etc.

I think there is an excellent chance that the TV One 1T-AP-216 output will be compatible with the AES input on the TVS. But I don't know if the fixed 150ms delay will be even close to what is needed for lip-sync?

{RANT}
BMD (and, to be fair, other manufacturers) seem to design many of their products in a vacuum. Or maybe they are trying to get the products out before all the features are fully baked-in. One would think that users doing streaming would be a major segment of the market. But there appears to be no mention of the process or anything designed to make it easier.

For that matter, even the recording function using the USB H.264 output and BMD's Media Express software appears to be something that may work OK someday, but not today.

And recording devices like the HyperDeck models apparently don't support timecode or closed-captioning. According to my local dealer, when they asked the BMD reps about that, the response was that those things aren't necessary for live capture from cameras. At least here in my country, broadcasters are required by law to provide (and pass-through) closed-captioning data. And there are thousands of points where capture and time-shifting is required.

They reportedly replied that "there are tape machines to do that". It seems incredible that they appear to have had no vision that the HyperDeck was an attractive replacement for (obsolete) tape machines. My local dealer told them that if it could simply record timecode and closed-captioning, he could instantly sell several dozen of them into local stations and other users just in our city. And certainly hundreds and likely thousands of units across countries where these are legal requirements.

It seems to me that recording timecode and closed-caption data is simply a firmware update, but we're still waiting. I plan on asking them face-to-face at NAB in a couple weeks. Perhaps these things aren't important in Australia and they are out of touch with their markets? I must say that they seem to have gone to extreme lengths to make communicating, feedback, and answering questions practically impossible. There is virtually no contact information on their website, and when you can get to someone to ask, they refer you to their distributor who isn't much better. Maybe they are so busy selling products that customer service (even pre-sales schmoozing) isn't important to them?
{/RANT}

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike SquiresRe: ATEM Television Studio QUESTIONS!
by on Apr 9, 2012 at 2:36:20 pm

Ya'll should check out the MX Light software. It does a much better job with recording, and allows streaming from the TVS.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tony MaroneRe: ATEM Television Studio QUESTIONS!
by on Apr 9, 2012 at 5:09:50 pm

Hi,

Continuing the above rant:

Are MOST POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS of the Hyperdeck Studio really wanting to spend more money on SSD hard drives than the unit cost in the first place? Do they really want to record uncompressed video that their NLE system might choke on anyway?

I think not in both cases.

Now that the Blackmagic elite have added compressed format recording on the Hyperdeck, why not make the unit able to use standard notebook hard drives. After all, the data rate is 1/5 of uncompressed. I'm sure the regular hard drive could sustain that rate.

This would make the Hyperdeck a superb value, in my opinion.

Tony

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike SquiresRe: ATEM Television Studio QUESTIONS!
by on Apr 9, 2012 at 5:30:59 pm

Actually, someone tried that last week, and it worked. I believe they captured an hour long video to a standard 7200RPM drive.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Carlos  A. Vazquez IIRe: ATEM Television Studio QUESTIONS!
by on Jun 16, 2012 at 6:38:07 am

HEY GUYS HOW YOU ALL DOING?
PLEASE CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME?
HOW CAN I SET THE IP ADDRESS BETWEEN
MY MACBOOK PRO AND MY ATEM TVS?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 16, 2012 at 10:25:29 am

Please explain your question.
Do you have the instructions?
Do you understand the published instructions?
Do you know how to use your Macbook Pro?

(No need to SHOUT!)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Jun 16, 2012 at 4:05:54 pm

HY RICHARD ! THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING!
WELL,YOU SUPPOST TO SET UP THE IP ADDREES
BETWEEN TH ATEM TVS AND MAC BOOK PRO AND I DID @ HOME,
BUT WHEN I WENT TO MY STUDIO A FEW MILES AWAY FROM MY HOUSE
AND I CONNECT EVERY THING AGAIN SURPRISE!
IT DID ASK ME AGAIN FOR NEW IP ADDREES
AND THEN I CANT MAKE IT WORK!
I'M NEW IN VIDEO BUT I BEEN 15 YEARS RECORDING PROFECIONAL AUDIO
NOW MY CLIENTS WANT AUDIO AND VIDEO. THATS WHY I BOUGHT THIS LITLE MACHINE
IT SEEMS EVERY THING WORKS FANTASTIC! I MADE THE H264 WORKS NICE WITH MY SET UP
THE CAMERAS TROUGH THE MULTIVIEW, IS JUST I DONT MAKE THE SOFTWARE FOR THE CONTROL
WORKS AND ITS BECAUSE OF THE IP ADDRESS

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 16, 2012 at 11:04:12 pm

PLEASE DO NOT USE ALL CAPITAL LETTERS!!
IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO READ.
IT MAKES IT SEEM LIKE YOU ARE SHOUTING AT US!!

Did you use a simple Cat5 cable between your computer and the ATEM, or did you plug the computer or the ATEM into the wall (the computer network in the studio).

Your symptoms sound like you plugged your computer into a network at the studio and it uses DHCP which automatically reconfigures your network. We will need much better details about exactly how you are doing things if you hope for any practical help from us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DHCP
http://gospelliving.blogspot.com/2008/10/quick-reminder-on-netiquette-all-c...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 17, 2012 at 2:54:44 am

JAJAJA
SORRY! About the capital letters
in spanish it does not make any difference at all,
and the main reason i use capital letters is just to have a better view
from my readings cause i use heavy glasses! jajajaja!!
any way ! thank again for you;re help
ok the way bmd says you have to do it is with a usb 2.0 cable hook between
the atem tvs and you're computer? and then you go to set up and find the network?
the way i have connected is i have en ethernet cable between my mac and my stem tis
and i have the usb 2.0 for h264 witch is working wonderful the audio that i'm sending from
my DP7 recording software when i open the package i connected and i don't now how
but i made it work! jaja! and i wet to my studio and then bum! ip address issues
i email BMD but i haven't hear from them yet then i found this cow that i love
and here i am!
once again sorry
i repeat
mac book pro to atem tvs via ethernet and usb 2.0 cables and thats it
and the aes ebu for audio works fantastic from my recording set
gracias

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 17, 2012 at 7:34:34 am

The USB connection has nothing to do with controlling the ATEM. I would disconnect it until you have the control problem resolved.

So SOMETHING must be different between home studio. But you do not give us enough detail to know what it is?

At home you have the ATEM connected to your computer using a simple Cat5 cable with one end plugged into the ATEM, and the other end plugged into the computer.

But how do you have it connected at the studio? Is it the same ATEM and the same Cat5 network cable and the same computer? Or is SOMETHING different? WHY does your computer ask for a new IP address?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 17, 2012 at 5:55:44 pm

ok
so i won't use usb cable until problem it's fix
that is for h264 files right ?.
that works fine and clean.

yes is the same set up same mac book pro
same atem same cable cat 5 thats the way you guys call ethernet cable?
every thing is the same except the place.
and yes, i only hook the atem tvs with a cat 5 cable
what other details you want me to explain ?
:) i will try to find out.
how about sep up utility menu?
on my mac?
happy father's day! :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 17, 2012 at 8:43:42 pm

If you take the ATEM and the Cat5 cable and the computer back home does it work?
It sounds like it may be related to how your computer boots. Maybe it resets the network configuration upon boot, so you must re-configure it each time.
If you re-configure the computer network settings at the studio does it work?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 17, 2012 at 10:32:41 pm

That's exactly what happened
it does that @ reboot
cause i notice every time i match
the ip address you suppose to reboots
the atem tis to be able to hook
but when it does the re boot
it does chance the config
and does not work!
you're tptally right

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 17, 2012 at 10:38:36 pm

That's exactly what happened
it does that @ reboot
cause i notice every time i match
the ip address you suppose to reboots
the atem tis to be able to hook
but when it does the re boot
it does chance the config
and does not work!
not even @ home
it did the first time
i don't know how i made it work do! jajaja
but it does not any more

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 17, 2012 at 10:45:07 pm

If you are going to use that computer only to control the ATEM, then you must disable the computer's automatic network configuration so it won't reset each time you turn it back on.

Or if you are going to use the computer to both control the ATEM, and also to operate on the internet, you can configure the ATEM to match the internet configuration. The instructions are in the manual.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 18, 2012 at 12:07:18 am

Ok
Thank you so much.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 18, 2012 at 12:18:56 am

Ok
Thank you so much.
I t has to be done even ime still?
or once i do that will keep it forever??

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 19, 2012 at 6:15:49 pm

Ok
I did it!

Richard

you need the usb cable to do the set up IP address to be hook up
Cause the settings are not done by the cat 5 they're have to be done
Trough the USB very weird for me!
Any ways! Thanks for you're help
And we keep in touch
I'm SHURE I will be reading you're very interesting forum
And post I really learn a lot from you guys
And every body that wrights in you're forum!
Once again! GRACIAS
If you ever come to Baja M Mexico, clet me know
I I'll take you for the best fish hacks in town! :-)
Talk to you soon!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 20, 2012 at 11:38:10 pm

Hy Rich

How come i only have two video inputs on my switcher?
that i can see my camera?
i mean the're eight but only in 3 and 4 i'm able to see my camera?
1 and 2 does not get highlighted or does not give's me the opcion of sd/ hd
or anything!
i went to settings, and played around but nothing!
any feedback??
thank you!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 26, 2012 at 2:12:28 am

Rchard
how yu doing
please, when i turn on my switcher
on the left han side does not appear
6 video inputs!
it only let me hook 3 and 4 inputs
1 and 2 are not high lighted
and 5 and 6 also does not show any
activity it does not let me do anything
like hook a camera or signal for test ( dvd ,blue ray video any source
for play back
once again
i only have access to inputs 3 and 4
any feedback please!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris PearseRe: ATEM Television Studio QUESTIONS!
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 6:54:30 am

Hi Richard,

I am sorry to hear that you are not so pleased with the H.264 portion of the ATEM Television Studio. We are always interested to hear customer feedback so that we may improve our products. Perhaps you could expand on what you would like to see from the H.264 encoding so that this information can be passed onto the product manager. I would of course also encourage you to talk to our representatives at NAB next week about any problems or feature requests you may have for any of our products.

Chris Pearse
Technical Support Consultant
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 11, 2012 at 6:51:22 am

Hi Alex,

I'm afraid that it's not possible to use the ATEM Television Studio with Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder. I believe FMLE uses the Quicktime framework which is not something the ATEM Television Studio supports. The H.264 capture section of the switcher can only be accessed via an API, which is now available for developers wanting to create applications around the Television Studio. Whilst I don't know of any software on Mac at this time, I know there's already software available for Windows as mentioned somewhere else.

It's certainly possible to take the HDMI output from the ATEM into a capture card such as the Intensity Shuttle to achieve what you are looking to do. And as previously mentioned the audio will indeed be embedded. Different setups can introduce different delays however, and it would be hard to say whether inputting directly into the Intensity Shuttle would cause a delay or not in this case.

I hope that this clears a couple of things up. If you should need any further help, please do feel free to contact your regional support office using the numbers on the following page

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/company/

or using the support request form on the ATEM pages of the support section

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support

Chris Pearse
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 11, 2012 at 7:31:45 am

I notice you're actually running Windows. Where Macs use Quicktime, the Windows version of FMLE uses DirectShow, which too is not something the ATEM Television Studio supports.

Chris Pearse
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafał GierońRe: ATEM Television Studio QUESTIONS!
by on Aug 19, 2012 at 9:54:41 pm

Hi Chris!
What about software like BoinxTv? I can't see the ATEM source in this software using the USB 2.0 cable. Its work when I use HDMI program and Intensity Pro but this method is bad for speed of my MacPro.
Its any chance to stream from ATEM TS using USB 2.0 on MAC?

Rafał Gieroń
LiveEventTv

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark FarnsworthRe: ATEM Television Studio QUESTIONS!
by on Mar 10, 2013 at 8:37:33 pm

Hey guys, after hours of frustration trying to get my macbook pro to connect the ATEM TVS software controller, I finally found the solution:

ATEM
IP 192.168.10.240 (this is the factory default)
Subnet 255.255,255.0
Gateway 192.168.10.1

Mac Pro Ethernet port
IP 192.168.10.1
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway (this is the tricky thing). Try 192.168.10.1 (yes.. I know seems odd). If there is any way to leave it bank...you could also try that (but I'd don't think so)

Then use your existing wifi settings unchanged.

What we want Is for your MacBook to see two different networks. One is setup to connect just between your Ethernet port and the ATEM. Then hopefully for all other routes (to the Internet) it will know to go via the wifi.

Hope this works magic for you like it did for me and thank you Liam Kennedy!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]