Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

HyperDeck Shuttle

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Zack PittmanHyperDeck Shuttle
by on Jul 31, 2011 at 8:40:37 pm

Ok first off I wanna start buy saying I think its amazing that Blackmagic created this product which at the moment cost less than the media you can use with it.

With that said, does anyone know how much data per minute or hour this will eat through. I know its 10bit uncompressed, so will it take up the same amount of space that say my HD extreme card with Media express recording at 10bit uncompressed?

Im about to get into having to record and transport TONS of media. Right now I just record on SxS cards directly on my Sony EX3's. But the process of converting all that to .mov's is a pain and the compression quality is no where near as good as say Apple Pro res or even uncompressed. I would love to take advantage of the HyperDecks, but with SSD's still as expensive as they are, its almost cheaper for me to buy a computer and SDi card for each camera I want to record and drop it to cheaper 3.5 HDD's.

Does anyone know if the SSD market will drop anytime soon? I talking in more the 500gb to 1tb drive range, because some of the recordings are up to 3 hours non stop.

Thx

Z

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Danny HaysRe: HyperDeck Shuttle
by on Jul 31, 2011 at 11:16:37 pm

You will only need the solid state drives to capture and playback the uncompressed files, due the the fast read/write speed of them. You can copy them to any hard drive for storage and trasporting.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Chee Wee TanRe: HyperDeck Shuttle
by on Aug 1, 2011 at 4:58:30 pm

I don't think there are 500GB to 1TB SSD in the market yet. The highest I know is 480GB selling at OWC.

Budget always not enuff.
http://www.dogbonepost.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark BairdRe: HyperDeck Shuttle
by on Aug 2, 2011 at 10:26:46 pm

Look at the Hyperdeck Studio, which allows you to swap in new drives while the other drive is recording. This might allow your 3 hour record times.

The price of the drives will drop. There is a HUGE market for them in the oil and gas industry and that will drive mass production, prices will fall, etc. That said the question is when. Who knows?

As for data rates, it depends on format (1080 vs 720) and frame rate. I have seen estimates of about 25 minutes per 256 gig. (1080 at 30).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]