Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

streaming w/ ATEM 1 M/E Production Switcher

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Kip Draperstreaming w/ ATEM 1 M/E Production Switcher
by on Jun 17, 2011 at 9:39:22 pm

This is my 1st hardware switcher and I've only spent 30-minutes perusing the manual & about an hour setting up the prog output, multi-view (both HDMI) and 4 HDMI cams. Fabulous 1st hdwr device so far: flawless install, panel software solid/sharp/LAN accessible, multi-view gorgeous/flexible.

From what little is hinted-at regarding streaming, it sounds like USB 3.0 to a streaming machine w/ FME or etc. is a/the recommended method for broadcasting to ustream, justintv etc?

Or would taking the Program HDMI out to a BMI Pro (or similar) HDMI-in work or be preferable? With LAN connectivity, I had the misconception that this was an all-in-one box that wouldn't need an encoder to stream, but I think I'm starting to get my head around it. Thanks.

Thanks,
Kip

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Colin SandyRe: streaming w/ ATEM 1 M/E Production Switcher
by on Jun 17, 2011 at 11:55:07 pm

Kip,

See my blog posting at http://www.sandyaudiovisual.com. It's my report from the Black Magic Design booth here at Infocomm 2011. Please ignore the typos. I'll edit when I'm at a desktop again.

An update to that posting: the USB port is not yet active on the ATEM port - expect a firmware update in about a month.

So any test youy do with USB won't work, unfortunately.

Colin Sandy
Sandy Audio Visual

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob ZelinRe: streaming w/ ATEM 1 M/E Production Switcher
by on Jun 18, 2011 at 2:03:35 am

Hi Colin -
boy that is some blog. What gives you the impression that the 2 M/E switcher's keyers are different than the 1 M/E switcher keyers ? They are the same keyers.

You write -

Another disappointment was that no one at the booth could give me a definitive answer on whether the USB 3.0 port on the ATEM products would allow streaming through Flash Media Live Encoder (FMLE) or other products that can use USB video devices at the source.

REPLY - I was at Infocomm 2011, and I got direct answers from Ankit Patel - product manager of the ATEM switcher line. The 1 M/E and 2 M/E ATEM will NOT do streaming, and they will NOT put out an h.264 file. This is not what the USB3 port is for. So don't get your hopes up of having built in streaming in these ATEM products. The ATEM TV Production Studio (the small one for $995) will have an h.264 output, but this product is not out yet.

You write -

I yearn for the days of old when manufacturers would send their engineers to the show floor to answer questions.

REPLY -
what absolute nonsense. I remember at the good old Tektronix booth, when they first released the WFM601, and I knew nothing about reading an SDI scope - who better than world leader Tektronix - I went back to the Tektronix booth over EIGHT TIMES over the course of NAB, and I could not find ONE EMPLOYEE that had a clue on how to read an SDI scope. I can site examples like this over and over and over again. In contrast, the product managers (not the cute girls scanning your badges) of Blackmagic are quite knowlegeable about their products, and insure that booth guests are well informed. But I do not doubt that if Blackmagic distributors or dealers were speaking with you (and possibly wearing a Blackmagic shirt), that they may have had no knowlege of what was going on. I find that most dealers and reps have no clue about the product lines that they represent. This is why I rely so heavily on the employees of the company for this type of information. The highlight of ignorance over the years is at the Sony booth - when you can simply ask "where are the HD VTR's", or "where are the BVM monitors", and NO ONE with a Sony badge on has a clue.

ANYWAY, none of the ATEM series will do streaming - period. Not without an external box. I was facinated at NAB 2011 with the Blackmagic h.264 Pro Recorder, which was being demonstrated at the Verizon booth, with their SDK doing STREAMING - this is NOT from Blackmagic, but from Verizon, using the Blackmagic h.264 Pro Recorder.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Colin SandyRe: streaming w/ ATEM 1 M/E Production Switcher
by on Jun 18, 2011 at 3:16:09 am

Thanks Bob. Yeah, my sensationalist blog....

I spoke to Mr. Patel too -- Yesterday and today and got the same answers -- that:

1) the USB 3.0 is not currently active on ANY shipping ATEM product
2) the firmware will be released soon, maybe in a month
3) the USB port is currently designed to work with BMD's own digital scope and its recording software and for updates
4) Mr. Patel does not know if the USB 3.0 interface will allow streaming to third party devices or if it is DirectShow compatible, but said he would check with the engineers in Australia.

Also, I believe Mr. Patel has already posted recently on this forum that some of the features are in flux.

If your information is more current than 3:30pm Eastern then I'll defer to what he told you, but that's what I got.

I'm not sure we're in disagreement though. You wrote:

"none of the ATEM series will do streaming - period. Not without an external box."

I agree. My question to Mr. Patel was whether the ATEM line would show up in third party encoding software like FMLE or Silverlight (fka WME, ~aka Expression Encoder), not whether it could stream out from the rack unit itself. The ethernet port is for control only - to tether the control surface to the rack unit or to tether a computer to the rack unit.

Anyhow, I'll be posting pictures on the blog as I get to cleaning it up a bit.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Thierry HumeauRe: streaming w/ ATEM 1 M/E Production Switcher
by on Oct 15, 2011 at 3:50:46 pm

Does anyone know if...

1. The ATEM 1 M/E guts have h.264 encoding capability
2. If BMD planning to add h.264 support on ATEM 1 & 2 M/E switchers

I think it is really an oversight on their part to have left this future out on those systems when their entry level system, ATEM Television Studio has it. Does not make sense, everyone want/needs h.264 encoding these days.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]