Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

closed captions support in HDLink

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Alex Geroulaitisclosed captions support in HDLink
by on Feb 26, 2011 at 2:17:49 am

Do Blackmagic Design HDLink (HD-SDI to DVI/DP/HDMI) converters support closed captions pass-through?

In other words, if the SDI signal has closed captions, will they show up on the TV connected to the DP or DVI port on HDLink? (The TV must of course be set to display them.)

Does it matter which model to get, HDLink Pro DVI, or HDLink Pro 3D DisplayPort?

(I couldn't find anything in the literature - but it seems that this type of conversion doesn't mess with closed captions embedded in the signal, i.e. the converter should pass CC intact.)

Thanks!

Alex
DV411

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason LivingstonRe: closed captions support in HDLink
by on Mar 8, 2011 at 12:13:18 am

Hi Alex,
This is a bit late reply to your post but I thought I could help.

HD-SDI supports closed captions because it includes VANC (vertical ancillary) data support. It is the only HD interface which does.

DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort do not support closed captions as they only carry the active picture area without VANC data. So you won't find any monitors that can decode closed captions from these inputs.

The only way this could work is to go HD-SDI into a device with a closed captions decoder, and then take the open captioned (captions in the image) output of that device into a converter. (This is how HD set-top boxes work; they render the closed captions into the image and then send the image via HDMI or component.)

Best regards,

Jason Livingston
CPC Closed Captioning

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Alex GeroulaitisCC-capable HD-SDI monitoring solution
by on Mar 8, 2011 at 12:35:15 am

[Jason Livingston] "The only way this could work is to go HD-SDI into a device with a closed captions decoder, and then take the open captioned (captions in the image) output of that device into a converter. (This is how HD set-top boxes work; they render the closed captions into the image and then send the image via HDMI or component.)"

Perfect answer, thanks a lot Jason.

Can you think of a CC-capable HD-SDI monitoring solution that is more affordable than a broadcast monitor with HD-SDI inputs?

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex GeroulaitisRe: CC-capable HD-SDI monitoring solution
by on Mar 8, 2011 at 1:33:10 am

[Jason Livingston on Jan 7, 2010 at 10:13:49 am] "In my experience the industry "gold standard" HD-SDI decoder right now is the Evertz 7760CCM-HD, but I'm not sure if it qualifies as "low cost" for you.

For more information, please see our HD caption monitoring whitepaper."

Got it! (Thanks Jason! :))

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]