Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

HDMI interlace combing

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Andrew YooleHDMI interlace combing
by on Jun 18, 2010 at 9:28:54 am

I've just installed an Intensity Pro card and have some strange inconsistencies with output.

The machine is a Mac Pro running 10.64, using current BM drivers, FCP 7.0.2. The monitor is a brand new Samsung 2333HD, a 1080 line computer monitor with inbuilt HD tuner. All auto contrast, sharpening and vision modes are turned off on the monitor.

The primary use for this setup is editing SD DV material.

When running HDMI from the Intensity to the monitor, standard def interlaced video shows distinct interlace combing, when outputting an HD or SD signal from the card.

When running analog component from the Intensity to the monitor, SD output does not show the interlace combing, HD output does.

Playing an interlaced DVD over HDMI or component to the monitor does not show the same interlace artifacts at all.

Any suggestions why the Intensity's output is not handling the interlacing (or why the monitor is not displaying it correctly)?

I have a similar setup in another location using a Deckling Studio 2 and a cheaper LG LCD monitor, and it handles the HDMI output perfectly.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Fred JodryRe: HDMI interlace combing
by on Jun 18, 2010 at 3:46:23 pm

When the cameras and VTRs/ VCRs manufacturers started playing with interlace comb filters enhancement schemes (too much) in the early 1980s, they couldn`t agree with each other on what`s needed or not, and why. One reason was bad testing. Another was sabotage. Today, we adjust things when we can and suffer the rest of it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew YooleRe: HDMI interlace combing
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 11:22:46 am

Thanks for your response but it doesn't resolve my problem. Any SD interlaced output looks dreadful - the monitor seems to be displaying both fields simultaneously. I've tried a second HDMI monitor with the same results. Interlaced signals from other SD sources, like DVD players, look fine. But the Intensity output is awful.

The Intensity card and monitor are essentially useless in this setup. The results of monitoring DV are unwatchable, leaving my client wondering why didn't just stick with a Firewire cable into his DVD deck.

I'd really appreciate some practical advice on this issue. Surely a large number of Intensity users are working with DV timelines regularly?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephan WalfridssonRe: HDMI interlace combing
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 12:09:57 pm

What are your sequence and Video playback settings in fcp?

Stephan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 24, 2010 at 12:25:49 pm

Sorry, a fair question. I'm a 20 year broadcast editing veteran and used Decklink SDI cards for 10 years, so it's not hardware I'm unfamiliar with.

I've tried the setup in virtually every possible combination of ways. But, of course, the main problem is the standard setup of Blackmagic-DV (activated through Easy Setup in FCP). The Timeline is DV codec, PAL anamorphic, 25fps, lower field first.

I see the interlace issue from DV source footage and also from elements like text that are animated on the timeline.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 24, 2010 at 12:29:43 pm

Sorry, a fair question. I'm a 20 year broadcast editing veteran and used Decklink SDI cards for 10 years, so it's not hardware I'm unfamiliar with.

I've tried the setup in virtually every possible combination of ways. But, of course, the main problem is the standard setup of Blackmagic-DV (activated through Easy Setup in FCP). The Timeline is DV codec, PAL anamorphic, 25fps, lower field first.

It appears to me that this is either a monitor issue - that the monitor is failing to recognise the interlaced input from HDMI for some reason - or the Intensity card is failing to output a standard interlaced signal that the monitor is able to understand. As every other interlaced source I feed the monitor works fine, my money is on the Intensity card doing something wrong.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]