Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Problems with DeckLink SDI and Bluetooth

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Allen ZagelProblems with DeckLink SDI and Bluetooth
by on Dec 15, 2009 at 1:59:43 pm

Hi

Does anyone know about this?

I purchased a DeckLink SDI card so I could connect my SDI studio monitor for preview. I also have a wireless (new magic mouse) mouse. After the card was installed my mouse started acting up and finally quit working.

After a phone call to Apple Care and 2 trips to the Apple store lugging my Mac Pro, we found out that it was the card that was somehow affecting the bluetooth. The Apple Genius was about ready to order a new Bluetooth card. We had the card on slot 2 first then tried it on slot 4 as Blackmagic recommended. As a last resort we pulled the card out and WALA! the mouse started working fine again.

I called Blackmagic Design and while the support guy was interested in the case offered no suggestions or help. He told me that was the first time he's come across this; but was going to send in the report.

So what do I do? Space on my desk is limited and wired mice are cumbersome. He suggested that I use a wired mouse and hopefully I'd hear from them. Nope! I got 14 days to return the card to B&H. Blackmagic didn't even want the card or offer to swap it out.

Bad card or flaw? I didn't want to be stuck with a $265 card I can't use.

So now back to the drawing board. All I want to do is connect my HD studio monitor to the Mac Pro. I don't need a $1000+ do everything card.
Just a 'heads-up".
Allen

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+3

Neil StewartRe: Problems with DeckLink SDI and Bluetooth
by on Jan 18, 2010 at 8:55:16 pm

Hi Allen,

I reported this exact problem - involving a Decklink Extreme HD card - to Blackmagic on 2nd March 2007 - Kristian Lam there said he'd never heard of the problem, and it wasn't possible for their driver to interfere with bluetooth and wifi.

But if I uninstall the drivers and restart, the problem goes away. Until the next time I need the card; reinstall and then lose Magic Mouse (and Mighty Mouse before it) capability. The mouse just skips across the desktop, no matter how smoothly you use it, occasionally losing contact with the computer completely. So, uninstall the drivers again... and all is back to how it should be.

That card was around $1500 (£900 here) - very frustrating, particularly when you're told you're the only one it affects.

Hope we get some help soon!

Neil

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jaap van HoewijkRe: Problems with DeckLink SDI and Bluetooth
by on Feb 24, 2010 at 6:49:45 am

Same thing here. I have a MacPro with BlackMagic Decklink HD extr. My mighty mouse had this problem.Yesterday I replaced it with Magic Mouse, hoping the problem would be solved. But it's still the same with the new mouse. I just read your post and removed my BM driver and the mouse worked fine again. So that makes three of us?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eric AllenRe: Problems with DeckLink SDI and Bluetooth
by on Mar 13, 2010 at 10:07:34 pm

Hi guys:
I had exactly the same problem. Brought my Mac Pro in for other service and mentioned the bluetooth (wireless mouse) issue. They replaced the bluetooth card/antenna under warranty, but when they returned the machine to me, they'd also removed the Decklink card, saying it interferred with the bluetooth. Bluetooth mouse then worked fine. However, I need the decklink card to digitize beta tapes, and have just put it back in the machine. Once again, the Mighty Mouse is a bit slow at times, but much better than before. Apparently the bluetooth replacement helped.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Allen ZagelRe: Problems with DeckLink SDI and Bluetooth
by on Mar 13, 2010 at 11:19:15 pm

Hi
I have been in touch with both Dan May USA President of Blackmagic design ad Jeremy the head of support.

They known the problem exists now. I even provided them with some emails I received both from the USA and UK of folks who also have the problem.

My unfortunate experience with the original tech support agents was addressed as well as he should have requested that I return the card to them but didn't. I had returned the card to B&H as defective

I haven't hear anything from them lately but am planning to send an email next week to find out if there's been any progress in the matter. BM did send me another card to test but the same problem occurred.

I'll post on this thread if I hear anything

Allen

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

willy danielRe: Problems with DeckLink SDI and Bluetooth
by on Sep 13, 2011 at 9:32:18 am

Any news about this ? i have this problem since 3 months with all my 10 MacPros
Regards, Willy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tedy BautistaRe: Problems with DeckLink SDI and Bluetooth
by on Jan 18, 2011 at 5:19:26 pm

My too. After installing decklink software the magic mouse appear to much magic. I have this bug in 2 diffrent customers.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

by on Sep 13, 2011 at 1:02:11 pm

Hi Willy & Tedy

I have been in touch with them over the years and apparently they can't find the problem. I wound up pulling the card and removed the drivers as I really didn't need the monitor or card for my current projects.

But due to the configuration of my new table (Hergo) I needed the magic mouse. I also needed Apple ProRes 422 which I didn't see in the Blackmagic drivers so was another reason to remove the drivers and get my original Apple drivers back. I didn't have time to see if there was other Blackmagic codecs available for DL.

Allen

ASX Media Group, Inc.
http://www.asxvideo.com
http://www.vomeo.com/az
MBP, iMac, Mac Pro
Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Francois DriessenRe: Problems with DeckLink SDI and Bluetooth
by on Sep 16, 2011 at 5:39:27 pm

UGGGHHhhhh. This totally sucks.
Just installed a DeckLink SDI into a MacPro 5.1 and KABOOM. The black magic turns my magic mouse into stone. Seems like the magic from apple and the black from BM is just not friends...

No solution still? Anyone solved this one yet?

Francois

FireTrigger Inc.
http://firetrigger.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 16, 2011 at 5:44:43 pm

I solved it by pulling the card and removing all the Blackmagic drivers. Next step? Look at AJA or Matrox for an I/O

Allen

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 6, 2011 at 2:54:17 am

After a disheartening conversation with BM, I was basically told to get a wired mouse. They are aware of the problem, but were apparently "unable to replicate it on their test machines" - so that leaves them without a fix. Come one guys...?!

I suspect that the card messes with the PMU that supplies power to the bluetooth module. Either that, or the card emits some sort of signal that messes with the bluetooth reception to the point that it stops breathing. It only occurs when the driver actually fires up the card. Installing the card without the driver does not invoke the problem.

Whatever it is, my solution turned out to be a $12 IOGear bluetooth USB plug. Just plugged it in and into the sunset I mouse.

Done. And done.

Francois

FireTrigger Inc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 6, 2011 at 12:50:22 pm

Hi Francois

HA! Didn't even think about the Bluetooth flash drive. Anyway I don't need the monitor for what I'm doing now so don't need the card in. Like I said above I'll look to those other companies. Be nice to have something that both my Mac Pro in my studio, and Mac Book Pro can use in the field.

Basically I'm all digital (HD) now (P-@ and SDHC's) but I still keep my DSR-11 and MiniDV walkman as well as my old Canopus ADVC-100. ;-)

Allen

ASX Media Group, Inc.
http://www.asxvideo.com
http://www.vomeo.com/az
MBP, iMac, Mac Pro
Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Winfried RothenbergRe: Problems with DeckLink SDI and Bluetooth
by on Jan 3, 2012 at 12:13:41 pm

I got the same problem after installed a Decklink Studio. In 2 equal Systems!.
I thought I got it, if I lift the HDMI cables away from the mainboard, the mouse will start to work again, and if I put the cables back near the mainboard the mouse stops.
But now, I removed both cables, the mouse works partially and sometimes not, that is very strange.
So I guess the card radiate something that disturb the BT Reciever if the driver is installed.

I´m waiting for an answer from BM Support.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Julian RobertsRe: Problems with DeckLink SDI and Bluetooth
by on Jan 27, 2012 at 8:34:44 am

Any news on this please. I've just experienced the bluetooth mop use problem, having installed a Studio 2 card last weekend.

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 27, 2012 at 12:26:44 pm

Yes. Indeed. That solves the problem perfectly.
Been running my MacPro mouse without any drop-outs for months now. Its Plug & play.

Francois

FireTrigger Inc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Julian RobertsRe: Problems with DeckLink SDI and Bluetooth
by on Jan 27, 2012 at 8:43:07 am

[Francois Driessen] "Whatever it is, my solution turned out to be a $12 IOGear bluetooth USB plug. Just plugged it in and into the sunset I mouse."

Hi Francois - Are you saying that the magic mouse will communicated via this USB plug (rather than the native MacPro bluetooth card) and solve the issue we've all been experiencing with the Decklink cards?

Thanks very much

Julian

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Elliott BalsleyRe: Problems with DeckLink SDI and Bluetooth
by on Aug 8, 2012 at 10:06:18 pm

What a strange problem this is. I just bought a Decklink SDI for my new 5,1 Mac Pro and I'm having the Magic Mouse problem too. But it seems to be software-related. When I'm not using the SDI card for anything, the mouse works well about 70% of the time, occasionally disconnecting or tracking slowly. BUT if I open the Blackmagic Media Express app, the mouse immediately stops tracking. If I switch (cmd-tab) to another application, the mouse instantly works fine. Switching back and forth to Media Express always causes the problem.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 9, 2012 at 4:42:22 am

Well it's gotten worse. After updating to Mountain Lion, and updating the BM software, the Media Express app doesn't make any difference. Now I simply can't pair the mouse at all. Period. I tried a Magic Trackpad — same thing. I called Blackmagic support and got this response:
We are aware of the issue. It seems to affect about 1% of systems. We tried to solve it and failed, so we gave up. Suggestion: Use a Kona.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 9, 2012 at 2:39:04 pm

I had the exact feeling of cold blood running though my veins when I got the same reply from them back in the day... I must admit I was pretty sour with them turning a cold shoulder to a problem triggered by their device... However, if you'd like to run Resolve, Kona is not an option for that machine.

As I said. A $12 USB Bluetooth Plug allowed me to carry on with my life. My grading suite is running like a dream with Resolve. And a wireless mouse :-)

Francois

FireTrigger Inc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Clark BierbaumRe: Problems with DeckLink SDI and Bluetooth
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 10:35:13 pm

I had a problem with a new Apple Bluetooth keyboard and added an external antenna to my new Mac Pro, got the parts from L-com.com Short range issues are common with the Mac Pro and some sort of RFI from the BM cards may be at fault or making the problem worse.

http://nobblynoel.wordpress.com/2010/04/25/mac-pro-2009-bluetooth-fix/

Mine works great now, and I think is a better solution than adding a non-Apple bluetooth adapter.

YMMV!

Clark Bierbaum
Color Grading / Post Consultant
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Elliott BalsleyRe: External antenna still not working
by on Oct 30, 2012 at 10:06:50 pm

After I found out the GBU421 isn't supported in Mountain Lion, I decided to try your solution. I bought the cable on eBay and used an antenna I had lying around from an old wifi card. I don't have any free PCI slots, so I actually drilled the hole and mounted the antenna on the backplate of the Decklink SDI card. The problem is still here, exactly the same as it was before. I can verify the antenna is connected, because when I unplug it, the bluetooth is unable to connect at all. I'm watching the connection quality in Bluetooth Explorer, and the RSSI moves between 0 and -10; I don't know if that's normal or not.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 9, 2012 at 2:33:51 pm

Yes. Once you plugged the USB bluetooth module in, the mouse paired fine with that. It's been running smooth for quite some time - no problems.

Francois

FireTrigger Inc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 9, 2012 at 10:33:27 pm

Yeah that sounds like the best option, thanks. Now this might be a dumb question, but how do you get OS X (10.8) to use the USB bluetooth dongle? It defaults to the internal bluetooth receiver, and I can't find any way in the GUI to change that.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 10, 2012 at 12:29:07 am

I did not do anything to select it in-stead of the built in bluetooth module. I just plugged it in, started up the MacPro and then used my wired mouse to set up a new bluetooth device...
That's as far as I recall... It's been a while since I rebuilt the system. Try it and let me know if it worked for ya.

Francois

FireTrigger Inc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 14, 2012 at 7:24:48 pm

I tried it at first with a Rocketfish bluetooth dongle, and got no change. Even though the BestBuy guy told me it would work on mac, it turns out he was wrong. I figured out that you can install a utility from Apple called "Bluetooth Explorer", which shows which bluetooth receiver you're currently using, and also lets you switch between them. So I bought an IOGear dongle, and now everything works great!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 5, 2012 at 11:21:50 pm

Update: After 6 weeks of flawless use, I suddenly have the problem again. I checked in Bluetooth Explorer, and it shows the IOGear device (labeled Broadcom), but it won't let me activate it. I've rebooted the computer, but don't really know what else to try.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris HallRe: Problems with DeckLink SDI and Bluetooth
by on Apr 8, 2014 at 10:55:51 pm

Possible solution!

So I had the same problem with the Decklink SDI card causing my bluetooth mouse to grind to a halt. Whenever I started to use FCP or Premiere the mouse would stutter and not be very responsive.

Then I tried to connect a reference video input to the card and now the mouse works fine. I just used a composite video signal from a tape deck into the reference in on the card. On the Blackmagic control panel at the bottom it will say if it has a reference signal.

Strangely I found that the mouse still works perfectly even with the reference disconnected and has done for a few days.

So I'm not sure if this is all just co-incidence but it was the only thing I did and now it works. It would be interesting to see if it works on another system with this problem.

Chris

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]