Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Decklink HD extreme 3 - loud fan

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Edward KoehlerDecklink HD extreme 3 - loud fan
by on Apr 24, 2009 at 6:02:18 pm

I have an '09 Mac Pro with a Blackmagic Decklink HD extreme 3 installed. The Decklink fan runs constantly and is louder than all of the other Mac Pro fans combined, including the ATI 4870.

When I look at Blackmagic product photos, I see a heatsink on the Decklink... no fan. The droning hum from this fan is just bugging me.
My question is, for those who have the Decklink HD extreme 2 or 3... does yours have a fan? And, is it similarly noisy? Sort of like a refrigerator sound?

Here's a pic of my decklink fan:

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Luke MaslenRe: Decklink HD extreme 3 - loud fan
by on Apr 27, 2009 at 1:24:11 am

Hi Edward,

The DeckLink HD Extreme 3 has a fan but the previous models did not. We test all of them before they leave the manufacturing plant to ensure they are working and also for fan noise. However fans can become defective because they are a mechanical part. Your fan sounds very noisy and must be defective as it should be pretty quiet.

Would you please contact your closest Blackmagic Design office and request one of the following two options depending upon your preference:
1. a replacement fan. Blackmagic Design will ship you a replacement fan which you can then swap over yourself. This will ensure that your only down time is the time it takes you to unplug the old fan and attach the new fan.
2. a replacement card. This will avoid you needing to replace the fan yourself but could mean you would be without a card for a couple of days unless the office organizes and advance replacement.

Please discuss these options with a support person at your closest Blackmagic Design office and they will arrange this for you.

Regards,

Luke Maslen
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Edward KoehlerRe: Decklink HD extreme 3 - loud fan
by on Apr 27, 2009 at 10:54:28 am

Thanks for the prompt response, Luke.
I will contact the Blackmagic Design office as you suggested.
Much appreciated!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 27, 2009 at 3:07:08 pm

Just spoke to Chris at the Cheshire, UK office. He's sending out a replacement fan. Thanks you guys! All the best.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 28, 2009 at 12:32:31 am

Hi Edward,

That's good news and I hope you find the new fan to be a lot quieter.

Regards,

Luke Maslen
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 29, 2009 at 3:27:35 pm

I received the replacement fan today and did the swap. The replacement fan was initially quite loud, but is now purring along nicely. It is SOO much quieter now. I'm really relieved. Thanks Luke and Chris!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 30, 2009 at 1:09:53 am

Hi Edward,

That is great news and thank you for letting us know that the replacement fan is much quieter.

Regards,

Luke Maslen
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]