Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Video out dropping off

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
CraigVideo out dropping off
by on Oct 18, 2006 at 2:10:36 am

Hi there,

I recently started working somewhere with a BM Extreme Pro card (I think - that's based on the connecters I can see). They recently upgraded to FCP 5. I upgraded the BM drivers to 5.7.2, and it seems to be working fine except that when we switch to digitizing via firewire from a DV deck, all output on the SDI lines go dead. To get picture back, a full system re-boot is required.

The people who worked on it last season said that they never had this problem, so I am assuming that it has something to do with the upgrade.
We are running Tiger.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Craig

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Luke MaslenRe: Video out dropping off
by on Oct 18, 2006 at 6:12:51 am

Hi Craig,

When switching between DV captures via Firewire, and SDI monitoring with the DeckLink card, it might help Final Cut Pro if you tell it to refresh the list of connected displays. To do so, open your Blackmagic NTSC DV or Blackmagic PAL DV sequence and then go to the View menu and choose Refresh A/V Devices. Again go to the View menu and choose Video Playback which should be set to Blackmagic NTSC/PAL 8-bit. Despite the fact you are working with DV material, it is played out as 8-bit uncompressed video via SDI so this is why it should be set to 8-bit. Finally from the View menu, verify that External Video is set to All Frames.

Please let me know how you go.

Regards,

Luke Maslen
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

CraigRe: Video out dropping off
by on Oct 18, 2006 at 11:42:23 pm

Hi Luke,

Yes, I have tried both of these things, to no avail.
However, I did notice today that switching to the DV deck did not force it to drop off, so perhaps that is not the culprit after all (it still dropped, but not directly after capturing from DV).
Perhaps I need to start a log of exactly what I am doing whenever it drops off, though I haven't noticed any pattern so far.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks very much,

Craig

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Luke MaslenRe: Video out dropping off
by on Oct 19, 2006 at 2:05:49 am

Hi Craig,

Given that the problem is not 100% reproducible, it would be very good if you could keep a log of your actions prior to the video problem occurring and then let us know when you have collected a bit more information. We'll look at it again and see if we can work it out.

Regards,

Luke Maslen
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]