Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

SATA RAID Disk Speeds - Is this correct???

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
rx2_007SATA RAID Disk Speeds - Is this correct???
by on May 23, 2006 at 9:25:45 am

Hi,

I have just hooked up 4 SATA 160GB Seagate drives to my motherboard's onboard RAID, and configured it as a RAID 0.

I just ran the File System Benchmark module of SiSoftware's Sandra and it gave me these results :

Benchmark Results
Drive Index : 153 MB/s
Results Interpretation : Higher index values are better.

Benchmark Breakdown
Buffered Read : 445 MB/s
Sequential Read : 202 MB/s
Random Read : 65 MB/s
Buffered Write : 395 MB/s
Sequential Write : 225 MB/s
Random Write : 105 MB/s
Average Access Time : 10 ms (estimated)

If I am reading this correctly it is saying I am getting 202 MB/s in sequential reads, and 445MB/s in buffered reads. Is this what you would expect, because my initial thoughts is these figures are a bit on the high side considering my setup????

I don't have a declink card yet so I can't run there diskspeed utility. And well I haven't quite figured out how to use IOMeter yet....

Peoples thoughts would be appreciated...

Cheers

Robert

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kaspar KallasRe: SATA RAID Disk Speeds - Is this correct???
by on May 23, 2006 at 10:36:53 am

yes they seem belivable for a begining of a disk

-Kaspar

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob ZelinRe: SATA RAID Disk Speeds - Is this correct???
by on May 23, 2006 at 12:30:13 pm

you will find that you have more than enough to do 8 and 10 bit SDI uncompressed, and DVCProHD, but not enough for uncompressed HD, with your configuration.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kaspar KallasRe: SATA RAID Disk Speeds - Is this correct???
by on May 24, 2006 at 6:03:03 am

But then again I HAVE DONE 10 BIT UC @ 1080 50i for more than two years on this setup - yes it has been short features and ad's only because I had 300 GB drives - the biggest at the time of purchace
That gives you about 1TB of usable space that is faster than 160MB/s (10 bit 1080 50i is around 140MB/s - just a little overhead)

THIS IS VERY SHOESTRING BUDGET WAY TO DO IT BUT IT IS POSSIBLE

thing to consider, when you do not have the budget, is backup because most likley you are capturing straight from camera (on location) on HDCAM SR deck (not that cheap to rent) to make a good use of 10bit (if you use HDCAM, DVCproHD or HDV as source then you can capture 8 bit)
My backup solution was a PC computer with linux and rocketraid running 6 disk raid5 as offline backup (backup was done weekly over gigE) nowadays you might use external FW disk or even have two sata stripe raids mirrored

good luck
-Kaspar

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

MrVideoRe: SATA RAID Disk Speeds - Is this correct???
by on May 23, 2006 at 5:34:23 pm

Go over to the AJA.com web site and they have their speed test software for FREE!

I have a 4 x 500 GB SATA RAID 0 in a G5 Quad and about 60-65 MB/sec per stripe is average.

Also check out the graphs on both http://www.barefeats.com and http://www.maxupgrades.com for approximate speed expectations of a 4 stripe SATA RAID.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 23, 2006 at 11:00:02 pm

If Mr. Video is only getting 60-65 mb/sec with AJA Kona System Test, then Mr. Video is doing something VERY WRONG, because a SINGLE SATA DRIVE will give you over 65mb/sec. 4 SATAs stripped RAID 0 will do dramatically faster than this (close to 200mb/sec).

I can only suspect that Mr. Video has not properly RAIDed his drives together, and is observing the speed of one single SATA drive, based on his results.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

rx2_007Re: SATA RAID Disk Speeds - Is this correct???
by on May 24, 2006 at 12:43:40 am

Hi,

Well I wonder what MrVideo is quoting????..... because if you look at the break down of my stats I am getting 65MB/s with Random Reads... Only with buffered or sequential reads I am getting 445/202?

Benchmark Breakdown
Buffered Read : 445 MB/s
Sequential Read : 202 MB/s
Random Read : 65 MB/s
Buffered Write : 395 MB/s
Sequential Write : 225 MB/s
Random Write : 105 MB/s
Average Access Time : 10 ms (estimated)

I wonder what figures people quote most often?? because they vary considerabley?

Cheers

Robert

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 24, 2006 at 1:46:29 am

hi robert -
you are getting write speeds of 225mb/sec, and read speeds of 202 mb/sec. This is what I care about. Although I usually observe the write speed to be SLOWER than the read speed, this is damn good for 4 drives at RAID 0, and if you add more drives (with a card that can handle more drives), you will get performance that will allow you to do uncompressed HD at 1080i. I have no idea of what "buffered read and write" mean, or what they reflect.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

MrVideoRe: SATA RAID Disk Speeds - Is this correct???
by on May 27, 2006 at 3:59:06 pm

""and about 60-65 MB/sec per stripe is average.""

Might help to read the whole thing before telling MrVideo that his RAID isn't working well. Or maybe Bob Zelin doesn't understand what a RAID stripe is?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]