Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
PANASONIC AG-DVX:Panasonic AG-DVX ForumPanasonic HVX - HPXPanasonic Varicam

AF100 for broadcast

COW Forums : Panasonic AF100, DVX100, HMC150

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
clyde villegasAF100 for broadcast
by on Mar 6, 2011 at 7:33:02 am

Will Discovery Channel and other similar companies accept footages from the AF100 (with 4:2:1 color subsampling and compressed in avchd format)?

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael AmadorRe: AF100 for broadcast
by on Mar 6, 2011 at 3:00:06 pm

[clyde villegas] "Will Discovery Channel and other similar companies accept footages from the AF100 (with 4:2:1 color subsampling and compressed in avchd format)?"
The PANA records 420.
Most big networks requires 422, so you need to use an external recorder: NANO, Ki-Pro, Ninja..
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

clyde villegasRe: AF100 for broadcast
by on Mar 6, 2011 at 11:50:13 pm

When you use those external recorders, do they record sound? What will be the output format and frame rate?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Noah KadnerRe: AF100 for broadcast
by on Mar 7, 2011 at 3:44:09 am

Yes they record sound- typically the format is ProRes with uncompressed PCM audio. And I can't imagine a network not taking that sorta footage. Well that is assuming they want your *content*. So many would-be producers I know seem to get hung up on the technical side of this. A network with take old DV footage if it's a product they want badly enough. Try to be one of those...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Guy McLoughlinRe: AF100 for broadcast
by on Mar 7, 2011 at 4:43:50 pm

Correction: The AF-100 internally records AVCHD with a 4:2:0 color-space.

I think the AVCHD 4:2:0 format is only an issue if you plan on delivering footage straight out of the camera for the broadcaster to edit.

Many people have been delivering finished footage in high bit-rate 4:2:2 format even though the original footage might have been shot as lower bit-rate 4:2:0. The broadcaster doesn`t care as long as the final footage looks great.

As has been shown many times now, Panasonic AVCHD 4:2:0 can be almost impossible to separate from 4:2:2 higher bit-rate footage if it was properly shot.

4:2:2 color starts to make a noticeable difference with blue/green screen or SFX compositing work. For general purpose video it makes virtually no difference.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

clyde villegasRe: AF100 for broadcast
by on Mar 7, 2011 at 11:23:30 pm

[Guy McLoughlin] "As has been shown many times now, Panasonic AVCHD 4:2:0 can be almost impossible to separate from 4:2:2 higher bit-rate footage if it was properly shot."

How does the broadcaster know that your submitted material (finished and edited) is either 4:2:0 or 4:2:2? Do they just rely on your word when you submit the material? Or is there some type of test done on it?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 8, 2011 at 3:43:18 pm

[clyde villegas] "How does the broadcaster know that your submitted material (finished and edited) is either 4:2:0 or 4:2:2? Do they just rely on your word when you submit the material? Or is there some type of test done on it?"

If the footage you are submitting is the raw AVCHD files from the camera, then it's obvious to anyone who knows the format that it uses a 4:2:0 color-space.

If you are submitting finished edited footage in a 10-bit 4:2:2 format, then I don't think there is any easy way to determine what the color space of the original footage was, especially if the original footage has been manipulated ( i.e. color-graded, etc... ) in post.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael AmadorRe: AF100 for broadcast
by on Mar 9, 2011 at 2:27:35 am

[Guy McLoughlin] "If you are submitting finished edited footage in a 10-bit 4:2:2 format, then I don't think there is any easy way to determine what the color space of the original footage was, especially if the original footage has been manipulated ( i.e. color-graded, etc... ) in post."
That will depends very much on the process.
420 stuff color graded on FC and exported to Prores, will hardly hide the 420 origin.
Chroma filtering, de-noising and 32b RGB processing, helps to hide the fact.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Edan CohenRe: AF100 for broadcast
by on Mar 10, 2011 at 4:32:33 pm

Great thread!

So if I was to shoot a documentary on the AF100 (with the hopes of it showing on PBS or some other network) how would I create a broadcast ready export from Premiere? What would they prefer as a final file?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 10, 2011 at 5:52:05 pm

Each network will have their own specifications on format. Here are links to the PBS Guidelines and the submission form for the PBS "Independent Lens" series:

PBS Independent Lens Submissions

PBS Production Red-Book

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]