Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
PANASONIC AG-DVX:Panasonic AG-DVX ForumPanasonic HVX - HPXPanasonic Varicam

HMC150 vs. HPX170 for corporate videography?

COW Forums : Panasonic AF100, DVX100, HMC150

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
William DedulaHMC150 vs. HPX170 for corporate videography?
by on Jul 9, 2010 at 5:12:44 pm

Hello All;
I posted a message here a while ago inquiring about the HMC150 for myself as a enthusiast and now I have approval to purchase a HPX170 for a corporate environment. We are part of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration and we run a variety of hands-on educational events throughout the year for which we want to record to HD and then create a Blu-Ray DVD to use in presentations and even use on NASA TV.

All of the people using the HMC150 or HPX170 in our office are not professional videographers and I'm just wondering if a HPX170 with the P2 cards would be overkill for our group and would add complexity that the other SDHC card would avoid?

How easy is it to extract the data from a P2 card ? Any additional equipment required byone what comes tith the HPX170 ? How reliable are there ?

I know that the real only drawback of the HMC150 over the HPX170 is the 4:2:0 color space vs. 4;2:2 in the HPX170.

Are there any other HDTV camcorders out there under the price of the HPX170 that utilize tapeless solid state media and 4:2:2 color space ?

Thanks.

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Noah KadnerRe: HMC150 vs. HPX170 for corporate videography?
by on Jul 9, 2010 at 5:21:52 pm

Personally if I were given the money to buy a 170 I'd instead buy a 150 (or even an HMC40) along with a Canon T2i or 7D and some nice prime lenses. With that package alone you could shoot amazing looking stuff with no P2 media costs or transfer issues. And in your case it sounds like you'd gain little from the bump up the 170. Where the bump comes in handy is for non-stop broadcast footage cutting back to back with higher end camcorders or in green/bluescreen compositing. In event videography and especially with a decent audio recording setup you'll never feel the difference. Hit me up offline if you want more tips- noah at high road productions (all one word) dot com. :)

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

William DedulaRe: HMC150 vs. HPX170 for corporate videography?
by on Jul 10, 2010 at 10:35:06 pm

Thanks, Noah for your helpful thoughts and suggestions. You've responded to other messages I've posted recently and I really want to thank you for taking the time to help and offer your input.

I think I'm going to go with the 150 after getting all of the input from everyone. There is some concern for the reliable of SDHC cards but there were some suggestions about how to minimize the possibility of data loss. Hopefully, I can compensate by purchasing the highest quality of SDHC card along with my HMC150 order. Do you have any favorite SDHC cards that you'd consider highly reliable and less likely to produce data loss ?

Thanks for your suggestion to buy a professional camera too. Actually, I have an interest in photography too and have both a Nikon D200 (For more serious stuff) and a D40 (for less serious stuff). Of course, these are my personal equipment and it would be nice to have my company purchase one but I think I'm going to pass on this (this year) and instead invest in more equipment to compliment the HMC150 like a tripod, case, extra bettery, and highly reliable SDHC cards.

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Daniel SchultzRe: HMC150 vs. HPX170 for corporate videography?
by on Jul 10, 2010 at 10:14:41 am

Something worth considering as well is reliability of SDHC cards. If you search this forum or DVX User you will see a number of people who've gotten the "check card" message, which usually means whatever's on your card is not recoverable. Granted, a high percentage of these problems are from people using cheap cards, not formatting them in the camera, or other user mistakes.

It happened to me once. I formatted it properly in the camera and lost forever what was on the card.

Since then I've invested in higher quality cards, and have gone to the extent of formatting the card in the camera 6-7 times before using a new card (Someone at B&H told me that a company representative recommended doing this, because a card was more likely stable if it passed this test).

But even so, it's made me nervous every time I do an important shoot. I worry I'll lose everything. So as soon as the shoot's over, I copy the contents of the card on a computer, and back everything up in several places.

It's left me with the feeling that, if I had it to do over again, I'd consider paying the extra $1K for the HPX170. Since I'm not really trusting the SDHC cards as long-term archiving, I needed to invest in that. (RAID mirror hard drive for short term, and Blu-ray for long term) So, in essence, I'm using my SDHC cards in the way P2 or SxS cards are used--as a temporary holding place to quickly offload. I'm not trusting the SDHC cards as a safe, alternate way to archive.

I love my HMC150 camera, and to be honest, I've never used the HPX170. From what I've read, it's similar in many respects, aside from a few features, the P2, and the 4.2.2 color space.

I think Noah may likely disagree with this, but thought you might be interested in another (albeit much less experienced) opinion. But it might be worth doing some searches with the "check card" keyword.

Thanks,

Dan S.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Guy McLoughlinRe: HMC150 vs. HPX170 for corporate videography?
by on Jul 10, 2010 at 8:31:43 pm

...I think the whole "check card" issue is entirely due to people buying low-quality SDHC cards. I've been shooting with my HMC-150 every week for the past year, and I have never had any problems with SDHC cards.

I have standardized on the Patriot IRIS SDHC 32GB cards, which are designed for professional video work, and come with a 5 year warranty. ( if money was no object I would buy the SanDisk Extreme SDHC cards, but I've had no complaints with the Patriot IRIS cards )

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 10, 2010 at 10:01:36 pm

Hi Guy;
Thanks for the recommendations on the memory cards for the HMC150. I am getting ready to place my order on Monday from BH Photo-Video where I've done business before.

I have planned to order several memory cards with my order and since I originally got approval to purchase the HPX170 but have downgraded, I can order the best memory cards that will have the most chance of giving me trouble-free performance.

I can't find the Patriot memory cards at BH but I think I found the Sandisk Extreme cards. Is this it ... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/617061-REG/SanDisk_SDSDX3_032G_A31_32...

Is this what you'd recommend if money was no object as the highest quality SDHC card?

How can you determine if a particular card is high quality or low quality ?

Thanks

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Guy McLoughlinRe: HMC150 vs. HPX170 for corporate videography?
by on Jul 11, 2010 at 3:03:01 am

Yes, the link you posted is for the SanDisk SDHC card that I was mentioning, and it's a pretty good price for a SanDisk card.

The Patriot IRIS cards can be bought from http://www.newegg.com:

Patriot Iris 32GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card : $90 each

Other cards to check out:

Delkin Devices 32GB eFilm PRO SDHC Memory Card : $108 each

Hoodman 32GB RAW SDHC Memory Card : $190 each

I am curious about the Hoodman card, as I've heard that they are very good cards. ( I've never had a chance to try one out )

...As far as telling which cards are good quality, I look for a few things:

- Always benchmark a sample memory card to see what the real speed of the card is. With the Patriot IRIS card, it benchmarked as 18 MB/sec WRITE speed, and 20 MB/sec READ speed. The SanDisk Extreme cards claim 30 MB/sec speed, which you can achieve for READ speed if you use one of the SanDisk high-performance card readers, which will ONLY accelerate SanDisk Extreme cards. ( other brands of SDHC cards read at standard speeds )

- Try and buy from companies that manufacture only one type of product. Patriot is mainly a memory manufacturer, that is pretty much all they do, so they should be pretty good at building memory cards.

- Try and buy from companies who have been around for a while, and have a reputation of selling a good product.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 10, 2010 at 10:20:21 pm

Thanks, Dan for your input and helpful suggestions. I am getting ready to place my order Monday morning. I have one question and a few comments.

Along with my camcorder order, I am planning on purchasing several memory cards and I want to purchase the very best, most reliable card out there. Can you give me some recommendations for a brand/model of SDHC card you'd consider as the most reliable even if money was no object ? I originally spec'ed out a P2 card which was almost $1,000 a pop so I assume even the most reliable SDHC card would weigh in way below that.

And a few comments. Thank you very much for the suggestions/recommendations on formatting the cards in the camcorder several times and also downloading the data as soon as possible after shooting the video. These are all great instructions I can provide to my associates who use the camcorder.

I guess another thing to consider is that I am only using the camera in a corporate setting and am not using it for weddings or TV where losing something could get me a lawsuit or cost a huge bundle of $$$ and time to reshoot like lots of folks on this forum.

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Noah KadnerRe: HMC150 vs. HPX170 for corporate videography?
by on Jul 10, 2010 at 11:18:03 pm

Sandisk Class 6 worth every penny. :)

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 12, 2010 at 6:46:30 pm

Noah;
Is Sandisk class 10 better than Sandisk Class 6 ?

Looks like B&H Photo-Video doesn't have any 32 GB cards in the Class 6 version.

They only have Class 2 and Class 4 and Class 10.

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 11, 2010 at 5:47:56 pm

Hello Dan;
When do folks report losing their data who have problems with SDHC cards - right during shooting (unexpectedly) or sometime later by the time they try do download their content ?

The reason I ask is because I'm wondering if a portable Data archiving unit such as this - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/592208-REG/Nexto_DI_NESE_ND270160G.ht...

would help eliminate the problem if or when it happens.

Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Daniel SchultzRe: HMC150 vs. HPX170 for corporate videography?
by on Aug 30, 2010 at 11:06:09 am

Sorry for that late reply.
I believe the "check card" message comes up randomly. It came up when my card was in the camera for me.

Dan S.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]