Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
PANASONIC AG-DVX:Panasonic AG-DVX ForumPanasonic HVX - HPXPanasonic Varicam

ag-dvx100b best settings for the film look

COW Forums : Panasonic GH Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
taras grovesag-dvx100b best settings for the film look
by on Jun 1, 2010 at 5:29:18 pm

Hi all. I have the ag-dvx100be and have been using it for over a year. I usually set it to shoot in 25p mode (i live in the uk) and use the 16:9 "widescreen" option. I just wanted to post as I am about to shoot a short film that will be entered in film festivals and was wondering, what settings would you recommend for a good film look? I understand there are settings that are good for the footage to be transfered to film.

What do you suggest? I will shoot a bit in 60i for cool slow mo stuff. But apart from that? E.g. squeezed or the letterbox? thin or thick vertical lines etc? any and all opinions are most definitely welcome. Thanks Taras

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Noah KadnerRe: ag-dvx100b best settings for the film look
by on Jun 1, 2010 at 8:53:33 pm

Squeeze and thin. And you don't *need* a film print to play in festivals unless you really want to... Most festivals do digital projection from tape or DVD that looks as good as any print you're likely to make off DV/NTSC anyway. have you considered switching to HiDef btw? Makes a much better film or digital print and HD cameras are pretty dirt cheap these days... Just a thought.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

taras grovesRe: ag-dvx100b best settings for the film look
by on Jun 2, 2010 at 11:14:42 am

hey man, thanks for the fast response. Ah I have been using thick so I will change it to thin. What does it actually do? Like make it seem clearer and sharper? I can't for the life of me remember how I ever got to putting it on thick.

And yes, that's the plan one day to get a great hd cam. But I just spent upwards of £4000 on microphones and tripods etc so I'll have to wait until at least the end of the year. But that's good to know I don't have to worry about saving up loads to transfer it to film print, it's so damned expensive!

Thanks Taras.

Ps- as we're on the topic, what would be your hd cam of choice? (If it's that easy.)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 2, 2010 at 7:49:33 pm

Another quickie, why squeeze over letterbox? thanks Taras

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 2, 2010 at 8:40:16 pm

Thin is specifically for film outputs because it turns off the aliasing filter. Lines will flicker on interlaced displays but you'll have much better sharpness on a film print. Squeeze is for 16:9- more apparent resolution and a better fit for a standard 1.85 film print. all 'letterbox' does is hard matte black bars over 4:3 footage- total waste of resolution and unsuitable for a film print.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 2, 2010 at 10:11:37 pm

ah i see, as i use to shoot with letterbox then conform the footage to widescreen in adobe and it always looked a bit off. But if i capture my squeezed footage, it should be native 16:9 right and look sweet?

It's just i heard that squeeze mode is apparently lower resolution, but im not quite sure as theres a lot of conflicting info. Thanks again for the fast response, much appreciated.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 2, 2010 at 10:46:24 pm

Squeeze is the best way to get 16:9 shaped footage out of that particular camera. It's not a native 16:9 chip but it's a pretty high quality electronic squeeze and if your delivery is 16:9 it will look far better than a 4:3 matte.

Noah

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom LaughlinRe: ag-dvx100b best settings for the film look
by on Jun 28, 2010 at 8:10:53 pm

Getting that film look also entails looking at good lighting, good cinematography, and there are several good on-line tutorials on filters, if you check out Red Giant, they have some great tutorials and filters to add the look you may want.

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Salt Lake City, UT
FCP7/Sony EX-3/Mac Quad-Core Intel

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]