Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
PANASONIC AG-DVX:Panasonic AG-DVX ForumPanasonic HVX - HPXPanasonic Varicam

A Few questions about the DVX

COW Forums : Panasonic GH Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
John QuigleyA Few questions about the DVX
by on Jan 17, 2010 at 4:00:01 pm

I've only ever used the XL-1s before, (in college and University), considering it's been discontinued now, I've been looking at the DVX-100b.
I have just a few questions if someone could help me out:

1.) Does it record in 16:9? Someone on a forum said no, I need to make sure.

2.) How many hotshoes/coldshoes are there?

Thanks,
John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Noah KadnerRe: A Few questions about the DVX
by on Jan 18, 2010 at 4:05:47 pm

Not sure what a 'cold shoe' is. But I assume you're talking about a still camera's flash hot shoe as opposed to the bracket on top of a video camera. The DVX, like most prosumer videocameras, has a single mount on top that does not function like a hot shoe. It's generally where you slide on a microphone or a light.

And yes the DVX100B has a 16:9 anamorphic squeeze mode, though it it derived electronically, i.e. not native 16:9 CCDs. That said for standard definition, it's pretty good.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John QuigleyRe: A Few questions about the DVX
by on Jan 18, 2010 at 4:15:13 pm

Generally, a hot shoe can provide power to accessories I think, and a cold shoe is just a general accessory shoe.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 18, 2010 at 11:31:13 pm

Ok- did I answer your question? There is not a hot shoe on any video camera that I know of. So all are cold shoes by your definition. And the DVX, like almost all prosumer cameras has one.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 19, 2010 at 2:41:11 pm

Yes, thank you very much, I had a look at the DVX100B today at a Camera shop and I definitely think it's the camera for me.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 20, 2010 at 1:24:23 am

Ok btw I would be remiss in pointing out this is 2010 and buying a new standard definition camera is a little nuts. I'd suggest at least looking at an HMC40. That gets you into a really nice high-definition camera for under $2,000. Of course if we're talking a used DVX of course you'll be in for less.

Noah

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jim BellRe: A Few questions about the DVX
by on Jan 20, 2010 at 2:06:00 am

Hi Noah,

You say its nuts to buy an SD camera in 2010 BUT...

Does the HMC40 emulate the film look as well as the DVX100B? Some applications actually call for varied definition don't they?

How does finished file size compare between HD and SD for webcasting? Lots of people are on cable which can be very slow in the evenings...

Does the HMC40 mention support multi-camera shooting? How easy is timecode synching?

These are all issues for me...

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 21, 2010 at 12:03:37 am

Regarding 'film look'- yes the technology and gamma settings are pretty much the same. Panasonic has owned 24p in this market for years. Regarding final file size- that's kind of irrelevant. You can downconvert HD to whatever frame resolution and data rate you need and it's going to look better than starting in SD to begin with. But good look upconverting SD to HD without spending a few bucks to get to acceptable.

I'm not saying the DVX100 isn't a great camera. It is- but it's 8+ years old now and to totally ignore HD is not a good call for most businesses. Not when you can easily shoot HD, 2K even 4K with cameras that have been out for a few years now.

Noah

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 21, 2010 at 2:00:14 am

Really? Can I take that to the bank? No-one I talked to indicated the new HD line had equal "film look" capabilities... that would be best of both worlds for sure... please confirm :)

And lest we forget, can you address the multi-cam capabilities as compared to the DVX100B when working in final cut?

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 21, 2010 at 4:37:53 pm

Not sure what your definition of take it to the bank is but it all comes down to aesthetics. Go test these cameras out if you're really thinking about it. HD is not the wave of the future, it's a done deal already. 3D 4K+ is the wave of the future now.

Noah

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 22, 2010 at 9:39:24 pm

Thanks Noah,

One last question from my previous posts...

Can you address the multi-cam capabilities and expense factor of Panasonic's current HD offering as compared to the DVX100B when working in final cut?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 22, 2010 at 11:33:52 pm

In what respect? It's no more expensive as far as FCP is concerned. Of course you'll need more hard drive space- but that's dirt cheap these days.

Noah

Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D,
Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 22, 2010 at 11:45:43 pm

Well it appears I was misinformed by a "well meaning" salesperson... I was told that DVX100B was the ONLY camera that could synch the timecodes between multiple cameras and easily upload into FC timeline.

In looking at the HMC150 manual online I see that you can synch TWO cameras in a master/slave mode... This uploads conveniently into FC timeline I assume? Any differences in ease of work flow?

Also does HMC 150 master/slave imply that you are limited to a two camera time code synch? Whereas the 100B seems to have no limit on number of cams?

I really appreciate your patience with what are probably poorly worded neophyte questions Noah!

Thanks,

Jim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 23, 2010 at 12:41:38 am

I believe it's the same setup as the DVX100- i.e. one master can have as many slaves as it wants to (no pun intended). Anyways, even if that's not the case there are many ways to sync cameras.

For example you sync them all with free run / time of day timecode using one remote to trigger all cameras lined up. Put all cameras on a counter and set it with the remote control all at the same time. You will get true sync on all cameras even when you turn them off and change batteries.

Or you can sync in post production using this plugin.

http://www.singularsoftware.com/pluraleyes.html

Bottom line- it's not something that should keep you away from *any* camera.

Noah

Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D,
Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 20, 2010 at 9:35:08 am

I Actually already have a High definition Camera, a Sony HVR-HD100E, as It was really cheap for me to buy at the time, It didn't matter that it didn't have XLR ports, however, now, more and more It seems that I need them.

Plus, I always ask customers if they want me to shoot on HD Tapes or on SD Tapes. About 99 out of a 100 times it's SD, due to the cost increase on the workload for downloading and editing HD, and the cost for HD Tapes.

An SD Camera is much easier and I will have two cameras, plus the DVX-100B is much, much smaller than my sony!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]