Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
PANASONIC AG-DVX:Panasonic AG-DVX ForumPanasonic HVX - HPXPanasonic Varicam

How new SD/HD camcorders compare in low light?

COW Forums : Panasonic AF100, DVX100, HMC150

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Hector MelendezHow new SD/HD camcorders compare in low light?
by on Nov 17, 2009 at 11:03:41 pm

This must be discussed before but I'm wondering how the new cams like Panasonic HMC40 or 150 or Sony's (in this price range around $2000-$2500) works compared with Sony VX2100 in low light situations??
Sometimes manufactures forget that no matter the recording format (miniDV, Hard drive or card) the cam "eyes" need to see. The enfatize more in zoom ranges than low light.

I'm about to drop my VX 2100 due to the recording drop-outs problems but I'm afraid to find that no other one see as good as my 2100. I had a AG70 with 7 lux. This was BLIND cam and needed tons of stadium lights to bring out a good video. I don't want to get back!

I read about a FS100 that serve as a recording device but I think it don't work with Sony's cam...It need to work with the start/stop buttom of the cam. Otherwise is unuseful to me.
Any ideas?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Trevor WardRe: How new SD/HD camcorders compare in low light?
by on Dec 8, 2009 at 3:42:17 pm

Not quite sure what you're asking. But if you're asking about low light performance of an HMC150, I'd say it's pretty good. It's better than the HVX200. It's also better than the sony A1U. I shot a wedding with it. The other camera was the A1U. Comparing side by side, the reception was much brighter and less noisy than the Sony.

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
orlando, fl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Hector MelendezRe: How new SD/HD camcorders compare in low light?
by on Dec 9, 2009 at 12:39:01 am

Thanks Trevor,
Hmc150 is so good in low light? Assuming this, the Hmc40 is a stripped 150, same electronic, less features...so must be a good purchase...($1k less) Have to see!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Trevor WardRe: How new SD/HD camcorders compare in low light?
by on Dec 9, 2009 at 1:03:41 am

HMC 40 is NOT a stripped HMC 150. I believe the 40 has CMOS sensors. I believe they are quite a bit smaller too. So, don't expect it to yield similar results.

Also, I'm not saying that the low light performance is good. Good is a relative term. All I'm saying is that it's better than the A1U from sony.

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
orlando, fl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alf HannaRe: How new SD/HD camcorders compare in low light?
by on Dec 12, 2009 at 4:38:43 pm

I think of lowlight situations as encompassing both high contrast (shooting music with spotlights) and low contrast (shooting in very dark situations). The camera would obviously have different results.

When I was considering the HMC150 (which I bought recently), I found a variety of reviews out on the net, more than one with actual footage of the camera under very low light conditions. Stationary shots seemed to be fine. You might want to poke around.

Comparisons directly against other cameras are harder to find, given the vast array of other cameras, and as said before, your personal definition of what you need in a camera. I, for one, have found the 150 to be a spectacular camera for me needs, and have yet to find the boundary of what I can or can't do with it. You might want to create your own tests and compare. Others here might find those tests really valuable. For me, with limited exposure to the wide range of cameras out there, I'd be thrilled to see some real one to one comparisons. Might need another camera someday, to add to the toolbox.

Alf

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]