Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity Forums Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy 1+2= -16 Wacky timecode issues in FCP 5

• 1+2= -16 Wacky timecode issues in FCP 5

Posted by Tim Vaughan on June 27, 2005 at 9:57 pm

Hi all
    Sorry for the long post, but I have no idea how to best explain without providing detail into my situation.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue or heard of it. I am working on a project, 3 cameras: 1 Canon GL2, 1 Sony VX2100, and 1 Panasonic DVX100a. (I am running multiple computers–still the same issue when I tried it on a different Mac.) I synced up and created a multi-clip using the three sources of footage. However, I noticed halfway through an edit that my timing was off on one of the clips. Upon further inspection, I found something weird.
    When I create my multi-clips, due to non-matching timecodes, I generally set up the in and out points. I do this by syncing up the tracks and the clicking each respective track at the very sequence in-point, copy the timecode, and paste it that to the clip’s master, thus creating my correct in points and multiclip. However, my timecode of my video track for the Pansonic DVX in my sequence does not match up with the timecode of the master. It is off by -16 frames.
    In other words, the timecode in my sequence’s clip (say 00:02:07;05)–double clicking the clip within the sequence and using the clips timecode), would be off -16 frames on the master clips at (00:02:06;19 )–This found only by scrubbing back and finding the exact frame. This is only happening with the DVX timecode.
    In a nutshell, I would lay down and sync up the tracks, click on the in point of the sequence, copy the timecode, and paste it into the master clip to set the in point. However, to retrieve that same frame, I would have to go back 16 frames and place the in.–This is really hard to explain. O, and the weird thing is this happens on tapes 2 and 3 only. Tape 1 matched up perfectly. Any ideas? Thanks

Tim

Bret Williams replied 18 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Bret Williams

June 28, 2005 at 4:01 am

Is the sequence drop frame along with the tapes?

• Tim Vaughan

June 28, 2005 at 12:46 pm

Yes. Everything is set up for NTSC DV. (Stateside)

• Bret Williams

June 29, 2005 at 2:25 pm

The tapes can be drop frame or NON drop frame. One will read with colons in the TC, the other will read with semi-colons or commas. Has nothing to do with NTSC or not NTSC, just the way the TC is labeled. One, drop – frame, skips a couple numbers every minute to make the timecode more accuarate for broadcast purposes. The other, is less accurate, but doesn’t skip any numbers.

Are you not “stateside?” We even have calculators designed for non-drop TC math.

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy