Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Public speaking on a Canon 60D...what do I need?

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Danny MulenPublic speaking on a Canon 60D...what do I need?
by on Jul 9, 2012 at 8:44:42 pm

I've never done this before but there's some compensation involved so I can't miss out on the opportunity! Does anyone know the minimum equipment I need to record a 1 hour public speaking conference with just one Canon 60D? It's only 1 speaker for 1 hour, and I understand these DSLRs stop recording every 12 minutes so this could be a huge problem!

Also audio, if I ask the speaker to place a Zoom H4n nearby would that be sufficient?!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom SeftonRe: Public speaking on a Canon 60D...what do I need?
by on Jul 10, 2012 at 11:02:25 am

If you only have 1 DSLR camera for a public speaking job that lasts for 1 hour you need to hire something else.

Either;

at least 1 other 60D that you can set for a different shot, and then stagger the start so you can flit between both cameras to re-start and change cards. You will also need to purchase quite a few memory cards, or else you will have to transfer media onto a laptop whilst working and delete from the used cards meaning you have no backup. If you have to go down the DSLR route, I would recommend (at least)one other cameraman and camera for the job, and buy 4 more 32GB memory cards. You also need an external sound device for recording the speakers mic - you should be able to take a signal from the live mixing console and sync it in post.

Or, hire a camera that is more suitable for the job - something with a large hard drive, a tape or something that can output a signal via HD-SDI that you can capture into your edit suite. You should also be aware of the issue of overheating - Canon DSLR's get hot when used for video; we used one for B-Roll on an event once, and it overheated after 1hr's use and needed cooling before we could use it again.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SuszkoRe: Public speaking on a Canon 60D...what do I need?
by on Jul 10, 2012 at 2:52:49 pm

Really, you need the appropriate tool for the job, as Tom points out, and the DSLR is not it.
Rent something, even a DV camcorder set to shoot in wide-screen would work, and it will have a proper audio input as well.

Don't forget lighting, either.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]