Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

awards

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
ginglesawards
by on Aug 2, 2005 at 2:46:57 am

Where might one find a list of, or can anyone provide some corporate video awards names?

Thanks in advance.

Erik

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SuszkoRe: awards
by on Aug 3, 2005 at 2:21:23 am

Google will turn up more, but I can think of

Emmy
Gold Lion
Hugo
Telly
Aurora
Golden Reel (former ITVA, now MCIA, dunno if they still do awards).

The Emmy needs no qualification or explanation, the Gold Lion is an ad award, IIRC.

The Telly and Aurora are part of the new trend in awards where you pay a smaller fee to enter, but if you win, you pay a larger second fee to actually get the plaque or trophy (otherwise you just get a certificate). Emmy's and those kinds of comps have entry fees up in the several hundreds per spot entered, but the trophy is free. I could never afford that on my own, and my bosses don't pay entry fees.

For many people in the business, these newer, low-entry-fee types of awards have much less prestige than an Emmy, and are considered "fake". I have won several of those Tellys and the like for myself and clients, I don't consider them "fake", but they are judged a little differently, some would say, judged more "sympathetically". I've entered I think 4 times and won 3, a mix of 1st and 2nd place. If they were fake, I would think I'd have "won" all 4. So you can't just "buy" the awards like some people claim, you still have to meet *some* standard of quality and professionalism. the longer those awards exist, the more weight and esteem they will tend to build up over time, as long as they keep things honest.

The organizers of those awards, (where the entries are closer to 50 bucks than 500) take pains to explain that like projects at similar budget levels are judged against other like projects, so your 100-dollar budget corporate project need not compete against a new 50-thousand-dollar Boeing Aviation demo for NASA. OTOH, the winner lists for those "fake" awards are full of entries for many prestigious companies like Boeing and orgs like NASA so *somebody* thinks they are worth it. Lots of Fortune 500 companies are on the winner lists for the Telly every year, either for their internal video ops or by the production company serving the contract.

My take on it is, these awards are all thought of as equally impressive by people outside the business, "civilians", if you would. They make impressive props to keep in the lobby and on the desk when you are trying to sell your competence to a new client. Between experienced pros IMO, pretty much the Emmy is the only one to try and brag about, maybe the Lion, because they are so much more exclusive and tough to win. And yet, there are apparently many real pros out there that don't have Emmys even though their work more than qualifies, they just don't keep personal score on their careers thru awards, and never enter the competitions.

I got on the awards train early in my career because I was looking for professional validation I wasn't getting from my peers or bosses. The old boss never liked us entering awards comps unless it was a group entry, because he felt it was bad for morale. Group entries are a lie, why should I share the award with five people who never had anything to do with the work, when it was honestly all my labor? Besides that, it makes it hard to detail on a resume that you earned the award when it has a group name on it. Well, that was my attitude in the 80s. I'm a "tad" more diplomatic now. Nowadays, when I think a project's really good, I may suggest the client enter for the appropriate award, when they win one, they look like heroes to their bosses, and then I own them, great for repeat business;-)

I think really it (the boss's non-support for entering) was more because as I started racking up the plaques, he thought I was going to use the new validation of my talent to hit him up for raises he couldn't pay. He didn't "get" that the awards were IN LIEU OF more pay. I entered some awards comps sponsored by Women in Communications, and I was bringing home first-place and second-place stuff in multiples every year for a while, until I couldn't afford any more entry fees and the invitations from the comp sorta stopped coming in the mail, maybe they wanted to give some other local people a chance;-) Times change, after a while, I stopped entering any comps, partly for the fees, mostly because the kinds of projects I was being assigned were just not entry-worthy material any more. ("And the award for best taping of a 90-minute powerpoint slide show with voiceover goes to...")

Recognition's good as cash sometimes: frankly my pay stinks, but low pay can be made up for in other ways, and recognition like this is one of those ways. It gives me pride and confidence, and spurs me to better efforts. I'm one of those people that will kill themselves working hard, just to hear something complimentary about the effort, when it's truly deserved. My workplace has been traditionally stingy about such things. Always has. Unfortunate.

For other people, the work itself is reward enough, I can respect that, and sometimes I feel that way about a project myself. I look at some of the movies Marty has NOT won an Oscar for, and they are films that will become monuments of their own, lasting in the public consciousness long after the metal statuette would have tarnished.

Anyhow, I say go for any of the awards you can afford to enter, there are no real negatives to it that I can see, and you can quit doing it any time you want. Looks nice on a resume or company brochure, gives you something to show clients or Mom, makes you feel good about what you're doing.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

ginglesRe: awards
by on Aug 3, 2005 at 2:27:57 am

Thanks very much for your thoughts. I appreciate it and will look into what I can muster in regards to entry fees.

Thanks again.

Erik

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim KolbRe: awards
by on Aug 4, 2005 at 2:32:25 pm

Usually your local Ad Association will have local American Advertising Awards sometimes called "Addys" in the US.

"Communicator" awards and "Videographer" awards are a couple more.

The Tellys are a nice way to start out because you can submit a lot of material for a low cost and you only pay for the statue if you win...

Another way to get some recognition for yourself professionally if you have the inclination, is to write for trade magazines.

TimK,

Kolb Syverson Communications,
Creative Cow Host,
2004-2005 NAB Post Production Conference
Premiere Pro Technical Chair,
Author, "The Easy Guide to Premiere Pro" http://www.focalpress.com
"Premiere Pro Fast Track DVD Series" http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS