Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
WEB:Web Design Forum- TutorialsDreamweaver Forum- TutorialsFlash Forum- TutorialsWeb Streaming

Does the Blackmagic HD Extreme 3D capture card work w/ Windows Media Encoder?

COW Forums : Web Streaming - Audio|Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
John SchlaterDoes the Blackmagic HD Extreme 3D capture card work w/ Windows Media Encoder?
by on Sep 15, 2010 at 3:12:44 pm

Hello,

I have been left in a pickle. I am the lowly video guy here at the College I work at... so my background isn't necessarily in building computers.

Can anybody help me out with this?

The School I work for recently bought a live switcher system to video record events and be able to web stream it to our campus.

I spec'd out everything and everything works like expected except for the Blackmagic HD Extreme 3D Capture Card and Windows Media Encoder.

Previously we used a camera hooked up to a 1394 Fire Wire Card and WME...but we didn't have the ability to fade between sources....like multiple cameras, Power Point or other visual sources. We were running the audio through the camera and zooming in/out from the speaker and Power Point.

The current issue is that every time we open WME...WME recognizes the BMD Card and it is selectable in the drop down menu but it displays no input image in the preview in/out windows.

I have contacted BMD and they won't say if it will really work even though their website says "improved compatibility with WME". The only thing I have been told is that we may need a dedicated 3rd party Graphics card to see the preview images because the BMD card doesn't provide the graphical interface image for the WME software to see within its input/output windows...but my ITS co-workers don't think that's the issue...they think the card is NOT compatible...that's why the windows are coming up with "Not Supported".

If we do need a 3rd party graphics card then we need to build a whole new computer tower because our current Quad Core box doesn't have room for a Graphics card and my boss doesn't want to build a new box if we don't have to. He'd rather return the card and get one that works with what we already have.

Thank you for any help.

John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John SchlaterRe: Does the Blackmagic HD Extreme 3D capture card work w/ Windows Media Encoder?
by on Dec 7, 2010 at 8:16:11 pm

Hello... does anyone have any info on this... I am still in need of help...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

rafael diazRe: Does the Blackmagic HD Extreme 3D capture card work w/ Windows Media Encoder?
by on Dec 25, 2010 at 11:54:19 pm

none of the blackmagic stuff works with adobe flash media live encoder

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John SchlaterRe: Does the Blackmagic HD Extreme 3D capture card work w/ Windows Media Encoder?
by on Dec 26, 2010 at 10:00:08 pm

I was using the older Windows Media Encoder with a Fire Wire card before... but I had to use Windows Expression Encoder with the Black Magic HD Extreme 3D and that worked fine... my problem was that the Old Version of WME didn't accept an HD signal via HDSDI.

Expression also streams way better with that sooth streaming IIS stuff..l people liked that a lot because all we can push out on our net work is 350-400 mbps... and as slow as it is... that stuff looks pretty good... and the bosses like it too... REAL glad this combo worked out!

I read so much about the incompatibility issues with BMD card but this worked out for me. I am bringing in a live switch feed to stream and then capturing a high res version to an external Compact Flash Drive recorder for post work. I REALLy wish I had a tape copy but they won't buy me an HD SDI tape recorder... they insist on no tape based stuff anymore... which sucks because tape back up is always the best option... they just don't want to pay for a expensive tape deck!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

kv phamRe: Does the Blackmagic HD Extreme 3D capture card work w/ Windows Media Encoder?
by on Jan 29, 2011 at 12:51:56 am

Hello John,

I'm planning to buy similar gear; can you tell me about cpu usage when you stream? what is your hardware (cpu)? how does it compare to when you were using DV through firewire?
thanks for any info.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 30, 2011 at 12:28:13 am

We use a HP Z600 Dual Quad Core, a BlackMagic HD Extreme 3D Capture Card and Windows Expression Encoder.

http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/EncoderPro_Overview.aspx

The HPZ600 comes with a higher end Nvidia Graphics Card... not sure what the model is right now but BlackMagic recommends the HP Z Series computers... either a Z800, Z600 or a Z400 for it to work right.

http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaigns/z-workstations/overview.html#zser...

Initailly we had tried to use a regular Core 2 Duo computer but we needed another PCI Express slot on the mother board for a higher end graphics card... this is due to the fact that the Blackmagic card does not show any graphics to a monitor... it depends on the graphic card for that.

The footage is a little bit better then when it was DV and Firewire... and Windows Expression Encoder has a feature called IIS Smooth Streaming...

http://www.iis.net/download/SmoothStreaming

.... and it makes the picture look way better then without it...

Before we were using one camera and now we are using a Kramer Multi Format Switcher for multiple cameras (Sony NX5U NXCAM cameras) and a computer for Power Point as our inputs. From there we output via component HD to a AJA Mini converter to SDI and we then capture the SDI signal to the BlackMagic Card on the HP Z600.

Works flawlessly...I love it... its the sick set up...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

kv phamRe: Does the Blackmagic HD Extreme 3D capture card work w/ Windows Media Encoder?
by on Jan 31, 2011 at 1:25:07 pm

Thanks a lot John, for this wealth of info!
Very much appreciated.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 31, 2011 at 5:06:26 pm

Yup!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]