Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
WEB:Web Design Forum- TutorialsDreamweaver Forum- TutorialsFlash Forum- TutorialsWeb Streaming

Looking for good webcam fior live streaming

COW Forums : Web Streaming - Audio|Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
david sorianoLooking for good webcam fior live streaming
by on Aug 2, 2010 at 9:51:18 pm

I am looking for a webcam for streaming live events(meetings/seminars, etc.) over Ustream. I will not be, for the most part, showing a CU of a face, so i need to have some decent glass, or as decent as you can get and me practical. I will be mobile with this camera, not set up in one place. I was looking at survelance cameras. Is that the best place to look? Budget is <$500.

Appreciate any help.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig SeemanRe: Looking for good webcam fior live streaming
by on Aug 8, 2010 at 7:30:44 pm

You probably haven't received a response because you haven't provided enough info.
It sounds like you're confusing a webcam and an IP cam.
You haven't mentioned what OS you're using.
You haven't mentioned if you have a particular front end software in mind or hope to have Ustream detect the webcam direct.
You haven't provided enough details for anyone to know what "good" is for your specific needs.
It's also unclear why you would use a webcam over a video camera for streaming given your description.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

david sorianoRe: Looking for good webcam fior live streaming
by on Aug 9, 2010 at 1:44:09 pm

fair enough...we want something that provides above-average picture. We were using a little logitech rinky-dink camera that Ustream detected and it just wasn't good enough. It was a little entry-level camera that you clip on your monitor.

If we need to use some software then fine, or if there is a decent enough camera that we can use and have UStream detect it then that would be ok. I've tried to fins some info on this subject but can't, as afar as difference between IP/web cam. All i have found is that security cameras seem to be the best i have been able to find, but there has to be something else i can use. Even if it's something i can go to Best Buy and get that cam live stream out of a USB. If there are actual video cameras out there that can do what i want then that would be fine, i just can't find them. I looked on BH, maybe i need to look under camcorder...i was looking under consumer/surveilance, i think. We would be hauling a Windows 7 laptop to the locations with us and using that.

There's probably more info you'd like, but i don't know enough about this technology to ask more detailed questions. If there is a web site somewhere that gets in to the details of this technology then point me there and i'll do the reading on it.

thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 9, 2010 at 2:54:55 pm

[david soriano] "fair enough...we want something that provides above-average picture. We were using a little logitech rinky-dink camera that Ustream detected and it just wasn't good enough. It was a little entry-level camera that you clip on your monitor. "

The best webcams on the market can do 720p at 30fps. Microsoft top Cinema webcam and Logitech's Webcam 9000 which replaces the Quickcam 9000. They still don't match a good video camera though but they're great budget solutions. Be aware that the Mac drivers will not take advantage of them. That's why your OS is critical.

You could get an inexpensive Canon Vixia (as low as $400) but most models are analog and HDMI out. That requires a convertor box. The Vixia HV40 does have firewire out but that's closer to $700.

IP cameras vary. They can look as bad as webcams or they can be great (and expensive) remote controlled HD cameras. You must make sure your software supports them. Services like Ustream don't. Programs like VidBlaster and the next Wirecast version 4 will support them. They may not work with all IP cameras though.

All in all I think your best bets on a budget are Microsoft Cinema HD (USB webcam) or Canon Vixia HV40. Remember that unless you're streaming in HD, you're better of setting the cameras to SD 16:9. Don't forget that with Firewire only 1 camera per bus. With USB sometimes you can get away with 2 but the Cinema HD seems to use lots of bus bandwidth. If you're laptop has an Express port you can add a 2nd bus of your choosing.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 9, 2010 at 3:37:30 pm

thanks...that MSoft camera seems to be better than the 9000 after doing some research and seeing actual comparisons. That Canon $700 camera is more what i had in mind, but was hoping to get a flash card acquisition version that streamed out USB. I use FCP to edit and use a Sony EX-1 and the Kodak Zi8 for acquisition, though would like to use whatever we end up getting for streaming if possible. I'd like to be done with tape forever if possible.

Anyways, if there's a $400 camcorder that does streaming to UStream and records to flash media that would be the prize i suppose. May be asking for too much.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 9, 2010 at 4:02:42 pm

[david soriano] "hanks...that MSoft camera seems to be better than the 9000 after doing some research and seeing actual comparisons."

There are TWO 9000. The Quickcam is OLD, the Webcam is new. The Webacm 9000 is very competitive with the Cinema HD.

[david soriano] "That Canon $700 camera is more what i had in mind, but was hoping to get a flash card acquisition version that streamed out USB. "

The Flash card version does not stream out of USB. USB is only for data transfer. That's why I said the ONLY option with the other Vixias is Analog (component/composite) or HDMI. BOTH REQUIRE a convertor box. I use Canon Vixia HF200 on occasion. I have Matrox MXO2-LE to convert to send Express port in to my MacBookPro.

[david soriano] "nyways, if there's a $400 camcorder that does streaming to UStream and records to flash media that would be the prize i suppose. May be asking for too much."
With a convertor box and if you want HDMI out it's about $200 for Blackmagic Intensity Pro card for desktop. I don't know of a Windows laptop solution. There is a Mac laptop solution with MXO2Mini for $449 and laptop which MUST have an Express port.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 9, 2010 at 4:32:52 pm

i see, big difference in quality. Still MSoft seems to look, and SOUND, better than WCam 9000:

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 9, 2010 at 5:05:01 pm

I'm not convinced either is better. The biggest drawback is that while both cams claim 30fps, the review shows both cams running at 15fps. I want to see how easy it is to get them to run at 30fps. One may be easier than the other.

Given that he noted that the Cinema HD is more of a resources hog, I wouldn't be surprised if it's easier to get the Logitech to run at 30fps.

In my experience adjusting exposure can boost the frame rate so it comes down to the controls in the driver. I don't think his test is thorough enough.

Imagine, for example, if you wanted to use multiple cams in. I suspect the Lifecam's use of system resources may make it a bit more challenging to do that.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 9, 2010 at 4:05:53 pm

I also have a Sony PD-170, but i don't think that does streaming without a converter box, right? Maybe that's the way to go?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 9, 2010 at 4:12:39 pm

I also have Sony PD-170. I think you're a bit confused. It's a standard DVCam firewire camera with live output to any computer's firewire input.

Computers have live firewire and live USB inputs. If a camera has LIVE firewire or live USB out, you have a direct connection. ALL modern DV and HDV cameras have live firewire out. All webcams have live USB out. Generally other cameras do NOT have live USB out such as modern SDHC/AVCHD/Flash card cameras.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 9, 2010 at 4:35:29 pm

is there a way to use the 170 for streaming with a converter if my laptop doesn't have firewire? is there a converter out there that would fit my bill? I am confused. I've stayed away from web vid stuff till now.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 9, 2010 at 5:09:21 pm

[david soriano] "is there a way to use the 170 for streaming with a converter if my laptop doesn't have firewire?"

Just a guess but a laptop without firewire might also have limited CPU/GPU abilities and that may also impact the ability to stream. It takes lots of CPU power to encode real time.

You can take the composite/component out to an Analog to USB converter.
EasyCap is a common example
http://www.amazon.com/Easycap-USB-Video-Capture-Adapter/dp/B001BWU8US
But it's a bit of a gamble because there are all sorts of potential issues. Most of them revolve around drifting audio/video sync.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 11, 2010 at 3:40:32 pm

thanks again for your help.

Well, i found out our Windows 7 laptop has a firewire input. We ran teh PD-170 in to it and it looks great. need to run audio to see if the sync stays true. may have found our solution, no?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 11, 2010 at 4:02:26 pm

Sync should stay locked easily. I've streamed from Sony PD-170 on my laptop. People complemented me on the picture quality of the stream. DV doesn't stress the CPU/GPU on decode/encode either.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 11, 2010 at 4:18:01 pm

i checked our Ping rating and it's an "A".

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael ScotkoRe: Looking for good webcam fior live streaming
by on Oct 13, 2011 at 1:00:50 pm

will the hv40 stream on battery (not plugged in)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]