Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
WEB:Web Design Forum- TutorialsDreamweaver Forum- TutorialsFlash Forum- TutorialsWeb Streaming

Why Can't My Computer Stream HD Video Off of the Web?

COW Forums : Web Streaming - Audio|Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Thomas HughesWhy Can't My Computer Stream HD Video Off of the Web?
by on Oct 14, 2009 at 11:57:12 pm

I have an older Dell desktop. It's a Dell Dimension 3000. It has a 2.4 Mhz processor and 2GB RAM. When I play HD video off of the internet, the video stutters. I know it's not the internet connection, that's a cable connection with 28 mbps down and 10 mbps up. But I'm puzzled. I have other old Dells with less processing speed and RAM that play HD videos off the internet just fine.

Thanks so much. Any input is appreciated.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Daniel LowRe: Why Can't My Computer Stream HD Video Off of the Web?
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 8:14:52 am

I would have said it was a lack of RAM, but then you say that you have machines with less RAM that work OK.

In which case, there's either something different about the graphics capabilities of your PCs or you have some software that's sucking up all your CPU/Memory resources.

Steve Ballmer To USA Today: 30 April 2007

"We and Apple are neck and neck and we're chasing the two
other players,"

Steve Ballmer, referring to Nokia and Research in Motion. October 6th 2009

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Thomas HughesRe: Why Can't My Computer Stream HD Video Off of the Web?
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 3:08:40 pm

Daniel, Thank you for your post. This computer is quite old, ie 2002. The graphics card is "Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller". How do I learn if that's what's causing HD streaming videos to hiccup? Is it easy to pick up a newer, better graphics card? Are they pretty inexpensive? BTW this computer streams SD video perfectly. Thank you.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Daniel LowRe: Why Can't My Computer Stream HD Video Off of the Web?
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 4:08:28 pm

That's integrated graphics, so it's part of the motherboard and it's almost certainly the cause of your problems.

I'm fairly sure that you can't do anything about it, you can't upgrade it and I'm pretty sure you can't add a new PCI graphics card, even if you could, considering the age of the PC, it's probably not worth doing.

Steve Ballmer To USA Today: 30 April 2007

"We and Apple are neck and neck and we're chasing the two
other players,"

Steve Ballmer, referring to Nokia and Research in Motion. October 6th 2009

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rick DaneRe: Why Can't My Computer Stream HD Video Off of the Web?
by on Oct 17, 2009 at 9:22:41 pm

Yeah I am willing to bet its the graphics card... generally standard graphics cards with pc's are not that good and the older the pc is the worse the card would be, if you're having problems of this nature its best to buy a new add in card, you can get decent ones that should be fine for playing video for as low as $50

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]