Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
WEB:Web Design Forum- TutorialsDreamweaver Forum- TutorialsFlash Forum- TutorialsWeb Streaming

jerking video streaming

COW Forums : Web Streaming - Audio|Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
James Bakerjerking video streaming
by on Jan 28, 2009 at 7:58:23 pm

I would be grateful for any help or feedback on the following problem that I have. I've searched the forum but can't find anything that specifically relates to this problem.

I have a video which is being streamed from my own website from an external video streaming provider.

The video does not play smoothly and jerks in parts. The parts where the jerking takes place is where there is a strobing effect on alternating frames at 25 frames per second. I understand that because of the demanding nature of this effect that it may not play smoothly as the video is loading. However even after the progress bar has loaded and I replay the video it still jerks incorrectly.

Does anyone know why this may be?
If the video has downloaded shouldn't it play the same as if it was off the hard drive. I have a fast computer and the video plays perfectly off the hard drive.

Also the smoothness varies depending on the time of day and speed of the network that I am connected to. However I am led to believe that when the whole video is downloaded every frame is downloaded. So technically the speed of the connection shouldn't make any different to the playback after the progress bar has downloaded.

The video is an flv and is set at 400 kbps with keyframes every 8 frames.

Any help or feedback would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Daniel LowRe: jerking video streaming
by on Jan 29, 2009 at 7:42:58 am

"with keyframes every 8 frames"

!!!!!!!

I think that's your problem, try setting it to every 5 seconds.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James BakerRe: jerking video streaming
by on Jan 30, 2009 at 12:16:14 am

Thanks for your reply. I have tried keyframes every 5 seconds but the problem remains.

Do you have any other ideas?

James

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 30, 2009 at 12:27:46 am

What frame size are you using?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 30, 2009 at 4:28:13 am

Its 875 x 480. The version on my website is embedded into a flash movieclip which is smaller, however the same problem exists on an online version which remains the same size.

The main thing that I don't understand is why when the film has downloaded it still does not play smoothly. Presumablyit can't be the connection. Would it be internet explorer or the flv player itself?

James

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 30, 2009 at 7:47:17 am

Not sure where you got that frame size from, it's neither 16:9 (or 4:3) or equally divisible by 8 or 16 which it really needs to be for decent playback performance.

In addition, 400kb/s is rather low for such a big frame size.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 30, 2009 at 4:01:44 pm

The original proportions were 1050 x 576 which is apparently the correct version for 1024 x 576 for broadcast.

I didn't know that files had to be an exact dimension or proportion for online streaming. How would this affect playback?

Wouldn't 400 kb/s make it more likely to run smoothly than have problems? I thought a lower bit rate just affected the image quality.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 30, 2009 at 4:14:26 pm

1024x576 is square pixel 16:9 from PAL and you should work to divisibles of that, the 26 other pixels are inactive.

The frame sizes should be of correct dimensions regardless of how they are delivered or played back. Both local and streamed need to be correct.

Lower bitrates will affect the quality, one aspect of quality is how smoothly the video will play. If there are not enough bits to display the images correctly one effect is for the playback to become jerky.

In addition, unless you are serving this video from a dedicated Flash Streaming server, you are not actually Streaming the clip, but rather progressively downloading it, there's a very big difference between the two.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cata sadaRe: jerking video streaming
by on Apr 29, 2009 at 12:03:47 pm

Hello
I can recommend you a professional broadcasting solution which will help you solve this issue. I am already broadcasting HD Live on my website and want to show you some demos if you are still interested.
Thank you

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 29, 2009 at 2:51:27 pm

[cata sada] "I can recommend you a professional broadcasting solution which will help you solve this issue"

It won't help.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]