Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
WEB:Web Design Forum- TutorialsDreamweaver Forum- TutorialsFlash Forum- TutorialsWeb Streaming

Setting up a "live" webcast

COW Forums : Web Streaming - Audio|Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
kjcainSetting up a "live" webcast
by on Dec 5, 2006 at 8:10:59 pm

Our Church service is captured via a multiple camera shoot and recoreded directly to DVD. We'd like to expand this to both live streaming to the internet and also archiving the service for later viewing or pod-casting.

We have a solid broadband connection to the internet but I am unsure what is needed to do "live" video streaming.

Any advise where to start?

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mike velteRe: Setting up a "live" webcast
by on Dec 6, 2006 at 2:20:53 pm

One could configure a PC with Windows Server software and stream from church, but even though you have a fat internet connection comming in, your upload side is probably good enoough for 2 or 3 streams. So you will need a 3rd party involved...there are many like Akami, but things can much more expensive than VOD (video on demand).
You could compress your video on the fly (with hardware or a stout PC) upload it on the fly to a HTTP server and then it would be available about an hour after service for all to watch. They also wont be contrained to the live service time as with live streaming.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

kjcainRe: Setting up a "live" webcast
by on Dec 6, 2006 at 10:54:58 pm

Do you have any recommendations on good software for compression on the fly?

I've got a dual Xeon on SATA and SCSI that should handle the load...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mike velteRe: Setting up a "live" webcast
by on Dec 7, 2006 at 12:06:47 pm

Windows Media Encoder 9 is a free download from Microsoft.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brian RolandRe: Setting up a "live" webcast
by on Feb 8, 2008 at 8:53:26 pm

I don't know if you are still looking for a solution or if you even see this post but there is a new service called TodoCast from IP Access. They have a mobile system that attaches an antenna to the top of a SUV or the bed of a pick-up truck and have three wires connect to a travel case fitted for a rack with all the gear needed to send a encoded A/V signal up to the satellite and down to a hosting company then onto the Internet. You get your own URL and can set up for a click and see or as a Pay-Per-View event. They have a splash page at http://www.todocast.tv

I can see a lot of application for church's, especially mega-churchs. People who have moved away can now watch the service live along with shut-ins. Other applications would include weddings, plays, concerts, any number of events. The more you think about it, the more ideas you can come up with. And it's completely mobile so youth retreats or local domestic mission trips can be captured and viewed live. Check it out. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]