Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Need Non-Copyrighted Music

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Thomas HughesNeed Non-Copyrighted Music
by on Aug 2, 2010 at 7:15:03 pm

In the wedding video business, it's a pretty universal practice for production companies like me to use copyrighted pop music for our brides' videos, without authorization. More than once, WEVA has had panels of attorneys debate the risks involved in doing this. Generally they conclude that what we're doing is wrong and the record labels could come after us, but realistically it won't happen as long as we're producing videos for individuals to watch in their homes with family and friends.
When I provide a demo to a wedding venue for them to use on their site, I use the same copyrighted music without getting clearance. Recently, venues have asked me for documentation for their files, showing that I’ve gotten clearance to use the music. It makes sense because these are hotels and wineries with deep pockets. It would be too easy to sue them and win a lot of money.
Of course I don't have the rights to the music.
How are others handling this? Is there some site where I can buy or even have custom composed (for cheap of course) music with a similar sound and feel to the music I use on my wedding films? I’d continue to use the real artists for my brides, but for more commercial usage I’d use the non-copyrighted. Any suggestions?

Thomas H

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Chip ThomeRe: Need Non-Copyrighted Music
by on Aug 2, 2010 at 8:12:05 pm

http://creativecommons.org/about/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SuszkoRe: Need Non-Copyrighted Music
by on Aug 2, 2010 at 8:55:45 pm

You can buy stuff that sounds similar but is already cleared. You can make demo versions for those hotel shows and the internet that use cleared music, and keep your dirty piracy secret between you and your actual clients. Though I don't advise that either, because you can't ever prevent a client from later posting a clip from their DVD to youtube... and there you are, back in trouble again. And obviously so, too: you see a lot of clips lately on YouTube where the audio has been disabled due to copyright infringement. THAT is not a good advertisement for your business.

I like to use SonicFire Pro to make customized-sounding music from pre-cleared raw material, automatically. SmartSound is a similar program.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]