Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
CREATIVE COW:Feedback ForumAbout UsContact UsSupport Articles

An Idea for The Business and Marketing Forum

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Dan AsselinAn Idea for The Business and Marketing Forum
by on Aug 2, 2010 at 7:31:40 pm

Hi Ron;

I spend a few minutes each day looking at the Business and Marketing Forum and find it to be time well spent. However, I am saddened that many of the true gems I find there, and which I normally print out, eventually get pushed down the screen and moved into the archives. I know that The Cow has excellent search functions but I cannot help but feel that much of this wisdom is lost forever.

What I would like to propose is the creation of the Business and Marketing archive which would have an access link at the beginning of the B&M. Much like you have a spot for AE Basic questions.

However I believe that this idea is much more valuable in a B&M setting than in any other forum. That is because what we are trying to preserve here has very little to do with changing technology and much more to do with principles. Questions like "Should I go to school or just start working in the business", "What do I need to do to stay in business?" or even "What's with this Zelin guy?" (You know Bob will have many posts here)

From a format standpoint I see it as looking like the forums list with headings and links below the headings. Now I wouldn't make this suggestion if I wasn't willing to help so perhaps you could have Abraham get back to me and maybe we can flesh things out a bit.

By the way since this is an archive do you think any of the companies which specialize in storage would be willing to sponsor something like this?

Regards;

Dan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike CohenRe: An Idea for The Business and Marketing Forum
by on Aug 8, 2010 at 12:12:53 am

It is true that there are recurring themes in the B+M forum, more so than elsewhere. Either an FAQ/Intro page that is always at the top, some hot button issues represented by actual buttons at the top of the thread list, or maybe a trending keyword cloud like you see on some websites

I have tried writing an FAQ for the B+M Forum, but the Answers part is the challenge, since frequently asked questions are frequently answered by everyone!

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dan AsselinRe: An Idea for The Business and Marketing Forum
by on Aug 8, 2010 at 12:58:47 am

I agree with you mike that's why I think a simple list of the best threads for each topic might make the most sense.

TNX.....Dan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Abraham ChaffinRe: An Idea for The Business and Marketing Forum
by on Aug 11, 2010 at 6:44:53 am

Sounds like we need a B&M FAQ as well as an easy way for people such as yourselves to help tag threads that need to be in the FAQ.

I think this suggestion can also be incorporated into all the forums.

At the top of each post and thread there's a little TAG link now. We may move this link around or change it in the future but it should be a good starting tool for marking discussions that should be in the Forum's FAQ page.

Abraham

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 11, 2010 at 11:30:30 am

Thanks Abraham.

As I said before if I can be any assistance in this please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards;

Dan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 11, 2010 at 11:40:00 am

On second thought perhaps the solution is not that simple because we would end up with a whole lot of great posts that still need to be sorted by topic. (Or Question) if you wish.

My original thought of having the most asked questions (10 or 15?)in a B and M FAQ then the best links placed below them still makes sense to me.

You might have the moderators of this forum suggest what the questions to be highlighted are as they have the most involvement. It is also to their benefit so they don't then really need to answer the same questions over and over again.

Then the entire group can suggest threads they have seen which best answer these common questions..............Dan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 17, 2010 at 11:30:51 pm

I could envision a Leader Board to the right of a forum - let moderators vote on threads for the board

It would have to be somehow differentiated from an advertisement, which currently take up both sides of the page

I never noticed the TAG link - seems like that should be within the post, not at the top of the page - but now that I know it is there...

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 18, 2010 at 1:19:23 am

You know Mike I think that the simplest way is just to have a link at the top of the page that says "The Business and Marketing Archives".....Peerless answers to the most important questions

Then that link brings you to a page where the only the 10 or 15 most important questions are listed. I find that with most Faq's they grow so large you might just as well start working in the search engine (which you wont)

Each question has a link to a page where the most relevant threads are listed. From a technical standpoint I don't know if there is a problem if people start adding comments to old threads that have been dormant for awhile but it would seem to be the best way to keep working on the ideas therein.

Of course you would need a moderator to separate the wheat from the chaff in each thread but that would be all.

Before I stop spouting here are 2 thoughts. Unlike other forums where changing technology would force a continuous update of the Important Questions B and M is mostly about concepts and approaches.
I can see some of these answer threads becoming well-known as THE place to go for meaningful thought about the business as a whole.

Plus, I have been all over the web and have not found a place where people are continually working on the same concepts and refining their input. I think this could be an exciting thing that won't just get pushed down the page and out of sight.

Oh and by the way. I was only half-kidding when I said that perhaps a company which deals in storage (archiving) should be approached to be a main sponsor here.

Thanks Mike and are you listening Abraham?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 18, 2010 at 4:45:33 pm

[Mike Cohen] "I never noticed the TAG link - seems like that should be within the post, not at the top of the page"

You're probably right. I'll try and find a more strategic spot for it. Trying not to clutter things while we add more functionality.

Thanks for the feedback,

Abraham

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 20, 2010 at 6:34:50 pm

Congrats on the FAQ feature - it is a great addition - and you made it easy to add threads to the FAQ

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 20, 2010 at 6:54:04 pm

Thank you for using it!

The more people use it the better it will be =)

Abraham

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 20, 2010 at 7:28:37 pm

Fantastic Abraham. Would you like me to suggest a list of the questions we all see on a regular business? Then we can find links to place undewr the heading.

Congrats, Thanks and I'm here to help

Dan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 20, 2010 at 10:03:27 pm

You actually already have complete control of the FAQ. Just use the tag button on each post / thread page to add or remove posts from a FAQ.

We track all actions of course so we can restore unwanted modifications.

Abraham

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 21, 2010 at 12:27:54 am

Actually Abraham, after thinking for few minutes, this really isn't what I had in mind. You see even though it has only been up for a few hours the FAQ in B and M is starting to be populated by posts which don't hasve the wide ranging signifigance that would make this a valuable resourc......which you don't need to sift through in order to get the info you need. It is my guess that within a few days it will be large and unmanageable.

I guess what I am volunteering to do is become the moderator for the FAQ in B and M to try and create a small group of headings (questions) and only place the very best answers there. I don't need any access to the forum code as I could send items to you to add as they come to me.

In another matter a post I printed out by Bob Zelin from Jan 16-2010 at 6:36:43 pm is what I consider to be the ultimate answer to how you get into business and stay there. {I'm not even sure we need to save the entire thread just this post.)

I would love to have this among a small selection of threads under this question in the faq but I can't seem to find the post. I used to be able to click on a leaders picture and get a list of all of their posts but can't seem to find that feature now. Maybe I just missed something.

At any rate I do very much appreciate the effort you have put into this and hope that everything works out fine.

Regards;

Dan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]