Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
CREATIVE COW:Feedback ForumAbout UsContact UsSupport Articles

Javascript issue

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Mark PalmosJavascript issue
by on Sep 28, 2007 at 9:35:58 am

Hi guys,
A while back i had a post about superslow experience on the cow, and as suggested, disabling javascript does the trick.

Problem is, I am often using Google mail which HAS to have javascript enabled. Typically I have Googlemail and Cow open on separate tabs, so have to keep on going to prefs to disable then re-enable repeatedly throughout the day.

Is this javascript problem going to be fixed? It seems javascript itself is not the problem because using Googlemail is not a problem, as well as a few other sites i am using today, like Corbis Motion gallery.

Thank you,
Mark.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ron LindeboomRe: Javascript issue
by on Sep 28, 2007 at 12:28:55 pm

Hi Mark,

As I said, it depends on WHO is using the javascript as to whether or not British Telecom does the filtering.

They KNOW Google, they DON'T know CreativeCOW.

You won't find this going to the Apple site, Adobe, Google or Amazon. It's the smaller sites that pay for BT's foray into enhanced security. ;o)

We can't do anything about it here. We've tried.

Ron

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark PalmosRe: Javascript issue
by on Sep 28, 2007 at 2:00:09 pm

Hi Ron,
i must say, it sounds truly unbelievable that BT would have any filtering at all. My guess is you are right, since its unlikely you are mistaken, but its still hard to believe.

BT are the owners of the pipelines which all our net stuff travels, but I would be astonished if BT is legally allowed to impose any sort of filtering on a Nationwide level... it just seems contrary to freedom of information and civil liberties which people in britain hold their government to at a very high standard (compared to the US that is! ;-)) Over here, the brits are adamant in opposition to being forced to carrying any identity, something you guys in the usa have had to do for a long time.

i will ask my IT guys, im sure they would have come up against it since there are 200 people here. Maybe its time for a BT petition, get some monks, im ready...

till later
mark.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 28, 2007 at 2:53:57 pm

You are again misunderstanding what I am trying to communicate, Mark.

It is not filtering of a malicious kind or intended to harm anyone.

It is done to protect BT customers from the kinds of tricks that phishers, etc., use to gain your information and do you harm. I guess that because of our newsletters, banner ads, magazine sign-ups, etc., etc., we meet enough of the parameters that their security team has set to red flag a site.

As you know, we have been at this for over 12 years now and we do not sell our list or do anything clandestine or malicious with any of our user info. But we cannot control how anyone looks at us or how they may perceive us. That is out of our control and there is little we can do about it.

And again, it has absolutely nothing to do with our new interface as we have been getting these kinds of emails and posts for a year now -- and the new interface is only a couple of months old.

We wish we had the answers but we don't and so all we can tell the minority that have these issues, is turn off your javascript.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mark palmosRe: Javascript issue
by on Sep 28, 2007 at 8:31:35 pm

[Ron Lindeboom] "
You are again misunderstanding what I am trying to communicate, Mark.

It is not filtering of a malicious kind or intended to harm anyone."

Keh?
Im not sure where you think i misunderstood you *again*.

All I am saying is that AFAIK all that BT do is to provide physical pipelines to dozens of ISP providers, and these providers may or may not apply spam, java, whatever filters.

My curiosity is piqued, perhaps i should call BT and ask them about filtering all java coming in and out of the UK... they are the biggest telecoms company in the world, it shouldnt be too hard to get a quick answer, right?

till later
mark.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 28, 2007 at 8:58:13 pm

Why I said "again" is because I have said it a number of times that of course it doesn't happen when you go to Apple, Amazon, YouTube and other sites you have mentioned. They have the political and web muscle to put pressure on companies -- even international powerhouses like phone companies, ISPs, etc. -- and we don't. We have written some of these companies till we are blue in the face. They don't care.

There is simply nothing we can do about it, Mark.

There's nothing we can fix except to make a site that includes no javascript at all and that isn't going to happen, as we use it for some of what makes this site happen.

I did not mean it as an offense, Mark. Merely as a comment that I guess that I am not making myself clear enough.

Best,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 29, 2007 at 4:35:37 am

no problemo mate
thankfully with firefox (on a mac, but not PC) you can keep the options window open and still browse, so its easier to toggle the javascript quickly.
catcha later
all the best
mark.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kim RowleyRe: Javascript issue
by on Oct 1, 2007 at 12:50:59 pm

Hey Mark, what I'm doing to get around the problem is use safari per google mail with javascript enabled and Firefox for everything else. At least that way I'm able to use the Cow. Strangely enough I had no problem for a couple of years until this past August. Certainly a fluke but for me it coincided with the new interface. I'm just glad I finally found how to disable java! Duh!

Dual 2.7 GHz G5, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9650, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 20" Cinema Display, FCP 5.1.2, OS X10.4.8

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 3, 2007 at 6:00:58 am

hi kim, nice idea, though id keep firefox for everything else (since many sites use javascript) and another browser (dont like safari) for the cow.

till later
mark.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 3, 2007 at 7:42:18 am

Hey Mark, that's exactly what I did in the end. Firefox for all minus the Cow and Safari for the Cow with javascript disabled. My fellow grazers are too important to not have close at hand, had to find a solution. ;)

Dual 2.7 GHz G5, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9650, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 20" Cinema Display, FCP 5.1.2, OS X10.4.8

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 1, 2007 at 12:52:17 pm

Hey Mark, what I'm doing to get around the problem is use safari per google mail with javascript enabled and Firefox for everything else. At least that way I'm able to use the Cow. Strangely enough I had no problem for a couple of years until this past August. Certainly a fluke but for me it coincided with the new interface. I'm just glad I finally found how to disable java! Duh!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]