Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
INDIE FILM AND DOCUMENTARY:Indie Film and Documentary ForumIndie Film and Documentary Tutorials

What's the fastest way of getting a text-based reference of all your video files for a project?

COW Forums : Indie Film & Documentary

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Nick BroadWhat's the fastest way of getting a text-based reference of all your video files for a project?
by on Jan 29, 2012 at 9:17:19 pm

While filming a project, we dragged and dropped the footage we took into folders. So, the top folder would be "Lisbon", say, inside which would be folders for each of the people we filmed ("Dave", "Bob" etc), then inside those folders for the camera number that was used ("DSLR1", "HM100", etc), and then inside that would be the actual video files themselves.

Now I want to take that folder structure, and quickly represent that in an excel spreadsheet, so that I can see what we have in the simplest way possible. I THINK that's the fastest and most organised way of going forward.

Surely editors have wanted this in the past, and haven't wanted to trawl through hundreds of folders, copying and pasting file names into a spreadsheet, going back and forth and back and forth!

I've asked the question here:

http://ask.metafilter.com/206899/Logging-Footage-the-fastest-way

And the instructions they have given have taken me through mac's Terminal utility. Yes, it created a list (a list that is also highly inaccurate, but at least it's a start), but surely there's a more user-friendly way of doing this? Do editors already have software that will essentially map out a hard drive full of video files for them (without having to go through it file by file)? If not, what is the best way of me going about this?

Mac OSx 10.5, Mac OSX 10.6, FCP 6
HM100, EOS REBEL/550d

http://www.thebuskingproject.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]