Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
INDIE FILM AND DOCUMENTARY:Indie Film and Documentary ForumIndie Film and Documentary Tutorials

Re: pitchin' a new show

COW Forums : Indie Film & Documentary

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Todd TerryRe: pitchin' a new show
by on Sep 4, 2009 at 7:12:34 pm

We've all known Grinner for a long time, and know that he is very open and receptive to constructive criticism. Constructive criticism. Some of that wasn't. Some was.

I have to agree, though (since Grinner did ask), that the show has issues. I think the idea is ok, but the pilot has got to have killer content... and for a pilot that was kinda content-free. The production itself was alright... but the content was just these guys riding around and more or less acting like jackasses, and not particularly entertaining ones (just in my opinion, of course).

I think was makes Deadliest Catch work is 99% action and 1% personalities. The guys themselves aren't all that winning or watchable, at least not to me... but what they do is. Some people might think (Grinner does) that just riding around in a car with these dudes all day would be a hoot, as he said... but to me it I'd personally rather park myself beside Dante and enjoy a few hours in the inferno than take that particular road trip.

Think about the guys on "Jackass." Like the Time Bandit guys, they are... well, jackasses. But they are jackasses that will ride a grocery cart off a parking deck or skateboard into a tree. And have to admit that it is funny... and even when one particular gag isn't, there's still the "Oh I gotta see what stupid crap they do next" factor.

If you wanna hitch your wagon to these guys, I think you have to have them do something. And do something entertaining... not jawing with the locals and acting juvenile.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]