Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
INDIE FILM AND DOCUMENTARY:Indie Film and Documentary ForumIndie Film and Documentary Tutorials

Sync Burns

COW Forums : Indie Film & Documentary

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Pixel MonkeySync Burns
by on Sep 26, 2007 at 5:10:47 pm

OH MY GOD, YOU'VE CRITICIZED KENNY! YOU BASTARDS!

I edit at a PBS member station, and our head of programming confirmed that the PBS feed (more so with the PBS-HD channel's feed) was out of sync at the source for the first couple programs. It's fixed now. I hear they claim it rolled fine, but that it was a problem with the bird. They were probably watching it on a plasma (which can be up to 6-frames off anyway) so didn't notice until the calls came in.

I like Rik Burns' stuff better. Kenny has that tired old template where:
- An interviewee's sound byte,
- Cut to still-photo of battlefield,
- Wait 10-20 seconds in silence (then foleyed SFX) for the next narration... in the attemt to get you to weave yourself into the atmosphere.

You know, it's great in theory but needs story substance to be executed well. 80% of the time, Kenny falls short because the stories are surface-skimmed.

Theory: Kenny is too concerned now with where/when PBS stations can fundraise around it; too concerned with music sales; book sales;... PLUS I'm sure Tom Hanks, Keith David, etc only signed-up to do narrations because they were promised by their agents to at least be nominated for an Oscar... so Kenny has THAT over his head too.

In the end, I don't think any one of us could maintain great storytelling with all that to deal with. But none of us will ever get the upper front page of USA Today, will we?

Priorities, priorities, priorities.

______
/-o-o-
`(=)`/...Pixel Monkey
`(___)

A picture says 1000 words. Editors give them meaning.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]