Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AJA:AJA io ForumAJA Kona ForumAJA Xena ForumAJA io TutorialsAJA Kona TutorialsAJA Xena TutorialsAJA

Re: dropped frames, slow raid write rates

COW Forums : AJA Kona - Mac

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ramona HowardRe: dropped frames, slow raid write rates
by on Jun 30, 2009 at 3:01:50 pm

Jason,

8 drives should yield more than 160mbs, I would check to see if you have a slow or failing or even failed drive in the mix.

I can't totally speak for how this all works in the MAC world but I can say from MANY years of experience that slow arrays stem from several reasons no matter what they are connected to. If you were once able to capture uncompressed with that array (which I do believe you were) then something has gone amuck.

Simply suggesting to drop to a COMPRESSED format like ProRes isn't a good suggestion (Maybe this guy really needs uncompressed). It is a fairly decent codec but it isn't uncompressed quality by an means.

Here are some suggestions and if all else fails you could always call in help from people like Bob Zelin, who make a living doing this on the MAC.

Again, I can only make suggestions based on what I am familiar with here

Does the hard drive controller in your system allow for configuration? If so a wrong setting will certainly effect drive speeds.

A controller in an improper slot in the Mobo, or one that is contention with another device will certainly cause problems (drop frames being a big one)

Again, physical drive issues in the array. Drives are not designed to just sit for lengthy periods of time once they have been in use. Drives have gotten better over the years but I am guessing your array is several years old :)

Capturing the wrong flavor of uncompressed with an array that isn't fast enough. For example there is a huge difference in needed thruput for 8bit YcbCr (YUV) than for 10bit RGB.

Try wiping your array clean and re-formating.

Hope that helps a bit, good luck

Ramona

Play hard today, it may be raining tomorrow!

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]