Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AJA:AJA io ForumAJA Kona ForumAJA Xena ForumAJA io TutorialsAJA Kona TutorialsAJA Xena TutorialsAJA

Re: VTR Xchange Drop Frames - rant

COW Forums : AJA Kona - Mac

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

gary adcockRe: VTR Xchange Drop Frames - rant
by on Aug 15, 2008 at 1:39:47 pm

[Alex Varas] "The first tests I was making were on the system disk (200MB/sec) and SAN drive (not full speed channel) also another 218 MB/sec, both reading writing as average."

I have NEVER EVER seen a 200 MBps on a single bootable drive in my life. The theoretical MAX speed limit on a single SATA drive is a little over 100MBps, That is a server class drive that would not work in your mac. Either you are guessing or your math is incorrect.

"So thats why I want to implement the infortrend box, with null result due LSI HBA... "

LSI only ever created the Apple Branded FC cards- why are you trying to hack together an old LSI FC card in your Mac?

"The thing I want is to use the two channels and split the disks, some for the system actually working (just keeping info) and some for the thing I wanna.
So... do you think with this mentioned config will I get the bandwidth to get even 2K??
"

Not with a split array. not DPX. You will not get realtime playback at 23.98 for more than 15-30 sec until the cache throughput maxs out.

You are attempting to muddle thru a very complex and hardware intensive editing process without trying to get the proper support for a hardware config like this- you cannot slop your way thru one of the most complex hardware configurations needed for highend editing. There is a vast amount of info needed to accomplish this task - raid config, raid cache settings, block size, raid levels, hell even the config of the Atto card is important to maximize the bandwidth.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter