Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AJA:AJA io ForumAJA Kona ForumAJA Xena ForumAJA io TutorialsAJA Kona TutorialsAJA Xena TutorialsAJA

Re: Kona RAID level... polling the forum?

COW Forums : AJA Kona - Mac

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ramona HowardRe: Kona RAID level... polling the forum?
by on Jun 11, 2008 at 6:21:37 pm

RAID set up really depends on the application and the hardware.

RAID 0 can be used when the video is view as temporary. "I put it here to print it there", "I just need to see my work". "I have a backup"

The advantage is there is no rebuild time if a failure occurs. Some may be able to move the backed up content back onto the unit FASTER than it takes to do a rebuild.

RAID 5 offers the ability to loose a drive in the array without loosing the content. Depending on the thruput of your array, you may be able to play content even with a dropped drive, which does not shut you down for hours.

The disadvantage is yes, the rebuild time. Not a disadvantage if your rebuild can happen in the background and your unit can still be used while doing so. If it is not up to par, then you will be dead in the water for hours (the time will depend on the total capacity of your unit).

We have some customers running a Rave in both Raid 0 and Raid 5, since we offer two arrays on every unit and with mirroring and syncing they really get the benefit of both worlds. Oh they are all so clever......

Others run completely in RAID 0, others all in RAID 5.

There is no right or wrong answer here or a black and white one. It all depends on your workflow and the tools, hardware and expertise you have in it.

Cheers,
Ramona

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]